GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a little test on the dead space tonight, I had 4L of water, opened the tap and poured in until started to run out, started to come out about 3L and then probably ran another 1-200ml out before it stopped, hence I'd say the dead space is somewhere between 2.5-3L, I'll go with 2.75 for Beersmith for now.

Still not sure about that grommit, my little pack says 1 x valve spacer (for spare) I look at where it could go and didnt think it would be any benefit anywhere.

BTW what size tubing do you run from the tap into your cube, I had some 10mm around but it looks bigger than that so I probably need to get some more.

I didn't get a note with the grommet just noticed it fitted the overflow tube, could well be a spare valve washer I have yet to remove the valve.
The tube would be 12 mm I have 13 mm and put a hose clamp on because it isn't a tight fit.
You might be interested in this Leyther.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psVrphoMKqg

Picked up some 13mm from bunnings tonight, as close as could find, had to buy 5m of the stuff as they didn't have any smaller!! wasnt planning on 20 bucks for bit of tube but will probably come in handy somewhere down the line.

I saw the MattMill but seems to be only available in EU, I'll see how I go with the Bazooka first. I'm still keen on using the pump to fill my fermentor, just watched the grainfather vid where he does this, doesnt seem to have any issues with pump blocking but not sure if th the GF has a filter on the pump at all and if its in similar location, on the guten its below the bazooka, a whirlpool will help as the inlet seems to be offset a little, will see how I go on the weekend.

WEAL,

how quickly does the strike water heat up? I was thinking I might set a socket timer on it so its at the mash temp when I get up Sunday but if its not too long I'll just leave it. Also do you know if this would work? as it seems all the settings are done via the PCB I wonder if I set the program then turn off whether it would actually do anything when the power comes on or would it loose that program? have you tried this at all?

Cheers

Leyther

It doesn't take long to heat up I set the power to 2kw, but lower the power output for the mash, I wonder if Magic Pancake had set his power to 2.5kw and not adjusted it in his steps when he started the scorching on mashout.
What is your water volume going to be for mash in and what grist to liquor ratio did you end up going with?

I'm still not certain on those (see my other post on first AG - mash). It will either be 13L or 18L and the grain bill is approx 5kg. Will add sparge to bring upto ~28L.

I think on the latest MP video he sets the mash power down to 1500 once he reaches strike temp. I noticed on the GF vid he drops down to 500watt for the mash, I guess the lower you can get away with but keeping the temp constant is ideal.

Sounds like I wont need the timer, I'll pop on full power when I get up, make a brew (tea!) and take it from there.

Hey WEAL are you going to buy a bazooka replacement kit?
It looks good.

Does look good googled it and came to a retailer in Holland actually a couple then saw a home made one, looking around the $100 inc delivery so I might have a crack at the home made one I have some of that braided hose in the shed.

Sent MattMill an email just in case.
DSC00061.jpg

I was in bunnings last night but only thing I could find that looked like it was shower hose, obviosuly thats not gonna work unless you remove the inner tubing. If you can source the raw materials I reckon would be quite easy and has to be better than the simple mesh one thats held on with jubilee clip

wide eyed and legless said:
I have already made mine but for anyone interested the Lauter helix is $93.75 delivered.
After my brew day today I think this is the biggest (massive) mistake with the whole thing, it works great but I only got about 1.5L out before it blocked,the BAZOOKA is IMO s piece of SHITE!!!! I ended up using the pump into fermentor because it just wouldn't drain (and the the storm game was kicking off!!), ive ended up with about 3L of trub in the fermenentor which I'm a bit pissed about because after fermentation I probably wont even get 19L.

Its an awesome piece of kit, works brilliantly except that last part, needs an alterntive...hop basket or bag or different method .

what would you call that hose/spring they use in that bazooka replacement kit?
pretty sure there would be plenty of DIY 1V setups that wouldnt mind a pickup option like that

looks like a 1/2" loose spring rather than a braided hose, but a google didnt help me find anything like that

You have to google spiral tubing, I did but there was to much information to get through to find where that particular spiral tube is made, will be in Germany no doubt, I still may get the Brau Fox one as it will be easier to clean than the braiding.

You need a hopsock Leyther, let me know if you want one.

You can see the issue here, I think I'll get one of those hop baskets for next time, will also mean I can use the pump to transfer without being concerned about blocking it, although it coped fine yesterday

IMG_20170326_151254-1024x768.jpg

Another observation from my brew day, those volume markings on the side of the machine seem well off, I wonder if they are with the malt pipe in but then you wouldn't be able to see them so they seem a bit pointless

Leyther said:
You can see the issue here, I think I'll get one of those hop baskets for next time, will also mean I can use the pump to transfer without being concerned about blocking it, although it coped fine yesterday
You might be able to put a 90 degree elbow and run the bazooka around the side of pot. Also with a good whirlpool might help.

wide eyed and legless said:
Had another Google tonight found this Italian job 46 Euro presume it is also including 20% sales tax so comes down to 36.8 Euro around the 50 AUD + Postage, anyone interested?
http://www.birramia.it/en/lauterhelixr-1000-bazooka-filter.html#.WNjJGFWGPX5

I'd definately be interested, did you contact them for price on postage and did they confirm they would remove the sales tax?

I'm not far from you either in Moorabbin so if we can do a single postage and save could be worthwhile.

I

Latest posts

Back