GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had my unit delivered tonight. 110v version. It measures the temp in .1 degree increments. Is that the same as you guys have?

No ours only measure in whole degrees Celsius. Might be newer model

The bill is less than $200 boys, but it depends on where. It needs a new fuse. I have them around the house, up under the eves. Really handy for stuff other than brewing.

Just checked the instructions, also has a hop addition timer and need to press auto to confirm to start mashing & boiling.
You should put some photos up, does it look the same as what we have? They have said that they are open to suggestions to improve it but .1 increments is a bit fancy pants. Though I did see a recipe the other day that was a mash at 65.4 or something like that, thought it was just the translation from F to C.

Here's a pics of the control panel and part of the instructions. From what I can gather, it can store 9 recipes too.

Attachments

• IMG_1948.JPG
    IMG_1948.JPG
    699.1 KB · Views: 207
Chaps, had a good brew day today,machine didnt miss a beat however just cleaning up and I've discovered an issue with the the part that pushed into the pump outlet, I've just filled the machine with Sodium Perc and I like to run some through the pump and out the end to clean that part too, I noticed when I put the connector in that it was loose, its normally snug and when you clamp down the two little handles it makes a tight connection however its all really loose and I thought it would probably leak which it is doing. Not sure if Ive lost an O-ring or something, any chance any can check to see if theres has an o-ring or send me a close up of the connecting parts. I obviously need to fix this before next brew otherwise it will spew wort rather than pump back in.

Attachments

• IMG_20170812_152743-1512x2016.jpg
    IMG_20170812_152743-1512x2016.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_20170812_152810-1512x2016.jpg
    IMG_20170812_152810-1512x2016.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_20170812_152825-2016x1512.jpg
    IMG_20170812_152825-2016x1512.jpg
    629.4 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Chaps, had a good brew day today,machine didnt miss a beat however just cleaning up and I've discovered an issue with the the part that pushed into the pump outlet, I've just filled the machine with Sodium Perc and I like to run some through the pump and out the end to clean that part too, I noticed when I put the connector in that it was loose, its normally snug and when you clamp down the two little handles it makes a tight connection however its all really loose and I thought it would probably leak which it is doing. Not sure if Ive lost an O-ring or something, any chance any can check to see if theres has an o-ring or send me a close up of the connecting parts. I obviously need to fix this before next brew otherwise it will spew wort rather than pump back in.

I can check mine tonight, at work at the moment

Yes mate just realised that, thankfully I think that's the spare they sent me. I did tip it up to chuck the hops into my compost bin so it probably went in there. All good, was good brew day, think I've almost got the beersmith Params dialled in correctly now, almost hit them today, had sightly higher OG at 16.2 than beersmith which was 15.6, 21l into the fermentor where it says 23 I think it's the boil off rate, I changed to 4L/hour I think it's probably sightly more but very happy today.

I think it is a different one to the spare you got with the Guten, it is a black one I will take mine out tomorrow and check dimensions, probably find something to suit in those "O" ring kits Bunnings sell, or Clarke Rubber, they aren't far from you.

Posted above in wrong thread.
How did you go with the whirlpool Magic? Could you not have used the pump with some silicone tube around the top?
I thought about doing it this way and it would probably work if you fashioned a copper/ss pipe so it would run down and around and attached it to the recirculation pipe with silicon. I just happened to have a drill and a valve handy from my brewery back home. It wasn't going to cost me anymore so I went the route I did. There real problem is the pick up at the bottom, taking in all that trub, hot/cold break, and hops. Next brew I'm going do without the lauter helix entirely and drain directly from Whirlpool port when I'm done chilling. I'll report back of course.

Well looks like I had another part fail on me. I was having problems with the control unit shutting off mid boil or for any length of time after any build up of burnt malt. Found the thermo cut off switch attached to the kettle at fault. Bypassed it just to make sure. Picked one up from a dealer here in the UK and fixing to brew again in a couple of weeks.

If anyone was ever wondering what thread the screws are for this sensor, computer harddrive screws fit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170815-070431.png
    Screenshot_20170815-070431.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 116
When I had the knock off switch, 'knock my boil off' scared me since then before I do a brew I make sure that the base of the boiler is impeccably clean, and as yet have not gone over the 2000w.

I thought about doing it this way and it would probably work if you fashioned a copper/ss pipe so it would run down and around and attached it to the recirculation pipe with silicon. I just happened to have a drill and a valve handy from my brewery back home. It wasn't going to cost me anymore so I went the route I did. There real problem is the pick up at the bottom, taking in all that trub, hot/cold break, and hops. Next brew I'm going do without the lauter helix entirely and drain directly from Whirlpool port when I'm done chilling. I'll report back of course.
When I initially thought about using the pump, run to the side and still use the helix wrapped around the edge, I discounted it because any grain husks which under normal operation would get dumped on top of the grain bed would not get past the helix and still be in the wort come boil time.

Back