Guide To Keg Forced Carbonation.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I follow the same instructions (Ross Method to force carbonate a keg) when my keg of beer is at room temperature? I am going to use a "magic box" until I get my fridge sorted, so I can't chill the beer before carbonation.

Is this a problem, or can I still use the Ross Method? Any adjustments that I need to make?
Thanks

hi,
yes ,force carb is ok at ambient or room temp, say around 20 dec c . you can try higher pressure for higher temp, but you will find that at dispensing at room temp the gas comes out of solution leaving you with a low gassed beer. or having gassed at room temp you could use an ice bucket to keep the keg in and the gas will stay dissolved in the beer at a lower dispensing pressure, say 8psi. fellow brewers have told me they take a keg to a local cold store,e.g. ice works e.t.c for cooling.
cheers alan

Thanks Albrews and Thunderlips,
Actually because I'm using a magic box to cool the beer before it comes out the tap the beer should stay carbonated in the glass, so I think it should work fine.
Many thanks. :chug:

Thanks Albrews and Thunderlips,
Actually because I'm using a magic box to cool the beer before it comes out the tap the beer should stay carbonated in the glass, so I think it should work fine.
Many thanks. :chug:

hi
by a magic box do you mean a temprite machine i.e. a refrig unit, or a chillplate esky type of thing.
i have found that so long as the beer is cooled before the tap then a good beer carbonation is achieved.
i was at the hotel recently and the beer font nearly had ice on it.and the beer was nicely gassed .
i have not inspected a hotel installation as yet, but i am looking forward to one.and can anyone comment on a typical hotel installation.

cheers alan

I just mean the esky type. I will use a refrigerator when I finally find one thats not too expensive.
Pubs generally use a flooded font (beer is cooled through to the tap, thats why there is condensation on it). I have not had a close look at a commercial one either but I would think they would be pretty similar to the flooded fonts that home brewers use.

I just mean the esky type. I will use a refrigerator when I finally find one thats not too expensive.
Pubs generally use a flooded font (beer is cooled through to the tap, thats why there is condensation on it). I have not had a close look at a commercial one either but I would think they would be pretty similar to the flooded fonts that home brewers use.

hi sps, thanks for your input, and message understood. i suppose a glycol circuit just helps the chilling.

cheers alan

From what I've seen, most pubs these days (particularly in the city) seem to use a temprite, ie the kegs aren't chilled but the beer is passed through a glycol unit that does basically the same job as a 'magic' box.

In the country though, pubs often have a large coolroom, and they just keep the kegs chilled. Probably because country pubs double as bottle shops, with less frequent deliveries, and this is a cheaper way to do it. They need somewhere to keep the parmas and the raffle prizes too :p

The flooded font doesn't aim to chill the beer at all, it just helps to keep it cold right up to the moment it leaves the tap. They are better in terms of foaming but they can drip a lot of condensation and obviously take energy to run too, which is worth bearing in mind for the home brewer.

Interesting Wortgames,
I've learned my one thing for the day. Time to knock-off and go home for a beer.

I am going to use a "magic box" until I get my fridge sorted, so I can't chill the beer before carbonation.

I used my miracle box for the first time over Xmas/Newyear. I do have a fridge and font set-up. My problem was I also needed to chill down one of my kegs but had no room. The answer, I put it in my chest freezer over night (around 6-8 hrs). Took it out opened up the lid to make sure it was not "beer slush" put the lid back on and carbonated my usual way. Turned out great, I was very impressed with my effort. If you have a problem and it is to cold just let it stand for a while. I did not quite finish it of in one sitting so I just stored it in my cellar and nudged it a few days later. :party:

I've just discovered the joys of the Masmaster temperature controller in conjunction with a chest freezer. I held a couple ales at 18 for a couple weeks, then dialled it down to 6 for a week. Racked straight from the primary into kegs and gassed them up in the keg fridge.

A Beautiful Thing, beer entering the keg at 6C. Carbonation is a day quicker.

im in the process now of gassing my first ever keg. and i couldnt wait so im doing it the ross method way.
just alittle note.

The hour wait after rocking the keg back and forth is like waiting 3 hours.

i just want to give my system a go.

For some reason i think if this works which im sure it will.. it means im gunna turn up to work with a hangover tomorrow

ill just tell the missus when she gets home. "i know im pissed,whats for dinner,come have a look at me kegs,feel like a beer.." or maybe not. :beerbang:

p.s the rubber on top of my cornys lifted up when cleaning with hot water any tips on gluing it back down

cheers kingy..

It's an exiting moment isn't it bloke ! I just had my first keg blow dry :( .
As far as repairing the ends of your Keg look HERE :)
Cheers
Doug

just thought id add... is that.. when u finish carbing beer for your first time ,using kegs, and u get a decent pour. You quickly skull that beer just to make sure that the next one pours the same and so on.

so beware....(in my case) im very well aware of it but i still keep drinklng my beer as fast as possile just to check to see if the next one is the same.

and when the next beer is the same, i repeat again

hungover in advance
kingy..

The hour wait after rocking the keg back and forth is like waiting 3 hours.

You only need to wait 10 to 15 mins - just long enough for the foam inside to settle, so that when you release the pressure, beer doesn't squirt everywhere out the relief valve.

cheers Ross

I'd very much like to see how well the head remained for this carbonation method. Does the head remain right to the bottom of the glass or did it go flat fast? Can someone please let me know?

Carbonation method has absolutely no bearing on head retention. Head retention depends on things such as glass cleanliness, amount of carbonation, and "body" of the beer. Just like all carbonation methods this one may require calibration to your system, it does work but can lead to overcarbonated (or undercarbonated) beer if your system is a little different to the norm or you do it incorrectly.

Quick question I've used the Ross method on 4 kegs now

And have pretty much got it down pat

My first keg I did over carbonate but I did managed to release the pressure but rocking and opening the release valve over a few hours.

The following three were a little flat but carb up after a further 2 days at pouring pressure ~ 90kpa - I figured I was better off with slightly flat beer that over carbed beer again :)

Anyway what I've noticed is that in step 6 when I keep shaking the keg it does not stabilise but rather the gauge drops to 0.

I was wondering if this is a function of the check valve installed on the gas line?

I've been limiting my keg shaking to 50 secs and haven't tried repeating this for shorter periods as I did with the first keg as I can't get the gauge to stabilise

Cheers

Quick question I've used the Ross method on 4 kegs now

Anyway what I've noticed is that in step 6 when I keep shaking the keg it does not stabilise but rather the gauge drops to 0.

I was wondering if this is a function of the check valve installed on the gas line?

I've been limiting my keg shaking to 50 secs and haven't tried repeating this for shorter periods as I did with the first keg as I can't get the gauge to stabilise

Cheers

Same here cortez, been that way since the first keg. Doesn't return to zero but the pressure just keeps dropping on the guage as long as I keep rocking. Routine here for a full keg @ 4C is to rock at 300Kpa for 70 sec, turn off gas and rock until the pressure drops to 100Kpa. Remove gas and wait 1 hour, purge gas hook up tap and gas (serving pressure 80kpa) lines and pour away. :blink: works for me.

Back