Grunt From Your Burner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's the burner of choice?

• Nasa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 Ring

• 4 ring

• Mongolian

• Something else

• Total voters

domonsura

Beer stuff maker
Reaction score
Just wanted to toss something into the mix and get comments on peoples' choice of burner. I've purchased and tested a few of them over the last 18 months (along with all sorts of pumps, filters, fittings etc, as I'm sure a lot of others have done) and ended up using a standard 3 ring with an adjustable high pressure reg to get the job done - and this has always thrown out a fierce flame with the high pressure reg, but I've always been looking for slightly more - seeking strike water heat up times of less than 15 minutes as sort of a goal.

In this spirit, I recently tried a nasa burner, as everything I've heard about them had led me to believe that they were the goods - and the description of the noise they made was promising, but I could never get the nasa to fire up as well as comments had led me to expect - even Kai had told me that there must be something wrong with it, or wasn't tuned right after I told him what I reckoned about them a week ago, so I took the nasa to Maxbilt in Norwood, Adelaide this morning to see if there was something wrong with it, they fired it up and said straight away that it was working fine! Even checked my reg to see that it was working properly. They reckoned the nasa would be fine for 36-40 litres, but nowhere near enough for 60-70 litres (which is what my experience left me thinking after waiting over an hour to reach strike temp.....).
But a point of interest was that they do sell the outdoor burner or 'nasa' there, in a stand, and the price tag shocked me a little - $24.95.............and I just paid $45 for one.....anyone looking for one, this is the place to go I suppose....someone fill me in if your experience with the nasa was more satisfying....please....

So anyway, I moved on to a 50Mj spiral burner with the high pressure reg instead, and while this is indeed a fearsome flamethrower, (p****s all over what I've seen the nasa do...) it still only equals what the 3-ring is capable of with the same regulator (@ half the price). I actually reckon that the 3-ring out does the spiral a little, which suprised me.
To be honest, I'd recommend the 3 ring with an adjustable reg on it to anyone looking for serious heat for minimum dollars. I've come to the conclusion that there is no benefit in spending any more $$$ on a burner than that unless you want to step up to big duckbills (and bigger gas bills).
Has anyone had a similar experience with the nasa, or is everyone else quite happily using them to heat 60l plus with no dramas. Or did I just get it wrong in the first place? :unsure: ($200+ worth of burners later......)

anyone looking for one, this is the place to go I suppose
Gaganis Brothers Hindmarsh - NASA's (occasionally), 3 ring and 2-ring (what i use believe it or not) as well as Marga mills, regs, oak, cracked wheat, crown seals, cappers, stainless bling.... etc. etc..

My vote = NASA, never tried anything else apart from stove top.
It is loud and powerful and more than enough for my 50l ss kettle, the whole bottom ring/edge is glowing red on full throttle :)
Also in economy mode, i have now had about 4 full 90 min boils from the one bottle with about 1/3rd - 1/4er left in the gas bottle.

Apprentice Brewer, can I ask exactly what sort (brand & specs) of reg you use with your nasa? And also out of curiosity what sort of distance from the bottom of your kettle, or do you have it in the original stand? I tried everything and while it still burnt some paint off the stand, it definitely wasn't getting anything glowing.....How long would it take you to get 50 litres from say 20 degC to 70 degC?

Tangent - yeah I've seen them @ Gaganis as well, but they weren't the $24.95 that I saw them for @ Maxbilt, the price was more what I was getting at. Gaganis is bad news for those trying to stick to any kind of budget isn't it......my eyes lit up and the brain started whirring away when I saw all the different stuff they have....well worth a visit.

edit - fix typos

I have a NASA and use it on my 50L kettle, sometimes coming very close to the top. It has heaps of grunt for that. At the last brewday meet, we used it to boil the 80L kettle and it worked rather too well at that, leaving us short of volume at the end of the boil. That said, it wouldn't be up to heating 60L to strike temps in 15 minutes. I'm happy with it for my needs. There are a heap of threads on this same topic. Maybe add your speed testst to this thread.

Having seen crozdog's 4 ring burner boil 130+L, I think that's another route to take if you want to up your boil volumes in the future.

Seems a really strange post to me as I have both NASA and 3 ring. Must say that the NASA works much better after disassembly and a good clean out with a wire brush. Mine brings 32L of wort to the boil in around 13 min. I find it impossible to get as vigorous a boil using the 3 ring even with the HP reg. Also find the NASA easier to adjust the air and it leaves no soot on the kettle bottom unlike the 3 ring, so I guess it's more efficient too. Sure the burner you had was a NASA not a Turkey burner or whatever.

I'll see what the weather is doing tmoro and if i brew a batch, i'll time the boil and take some pics, if i forget you'll have to settle for some measurements :)

Also, it wont be very accurate because nowdays i use it on a low setting just after i start sparging to get up to temp quicker, so it's not a real 20c to 100c time test.

Just to add i got mine from G&G, burner + stand (don't use) + HP reg. ~$100 if i remember right. As for specs that's all i got...

How long would it take you to get 50 litres from say 20 degC to 70 degC?

Hrm, I should put the stopwatch on it one day. No, I'll do it tomorrow.

Today I had 50Lt in the HLT and fired up the nasa no where near full boar. I could still hear myself think. Then I went off measured my grain and crushed it in the barley crusher with an assistant and a drill. By the time I was done the water was 2C below mash-in temp (76C). This would have taken me about 20 minutes I think.

Anyway, I'll put the clock on it tomorrow.

regards
Scott

Four ring for me.

I am getting 5 brews plus a few BBq's from a 9kg bottle.

It gets 40ltrs in a 50ltr s/s vessel from 16deg to 66deg in 25mins.

66deg to boil in 20mins. after it reaches a good boil I can turn off the outer ring.

the Rambo from auscrown should fulfill your needs, I think mines rated to 130mj. I never use it full bore for 20L batches and would guess it to be fine for double batches. Maybe this should be in the Poll as I think a few of us have them....

hockers

i gotta add, that my 2 ring burner kicks arse in the brew room and absolute sh!t in any sort of breeze outside. As much as I love brewing outdoors, gas use seems WAY more efficient indoors (with ventilation)

I put the stopwatch on the nasa yesterday. I was outside with a slight draft but not much. 49L in a 50L stainless vessel with no lid. Start temperature was 22C. Heated to 75C in 22 minutes.

regards
Scott

Yeah, thanks Scott, things are starting to look as though contrary to what I've been told, my Nasa is NOT running properly if that's the kind of heat up time that can be achieved.
Anyone care to try snap a pic of their nasa at full noise so I can try to compare from that? Mine was from G & G, so I know that it's the right burner.....semantics at this point as I'm using a different burner now, but I still want to figure out why I didn't get the performance out of it.......

What is the rating of your HP regulator? Mine is rated 0.5-2 bar (50 to 200 kPa).

Never heated strike water with mine. However it brings 60 litres of wort from 70 degrees to boiling in around 15 minutes. Good enough for me. :)

Here's some pics I just took running flat knackers.

Warren -

DSC01703.JPG

When talking about the regs you use, could everyone please specify whether you're using a standard LP 2kg/hr reg, a variable HP reg or a straight 8kg/hr HP reg?
And if you're using a variable one, roughly what setting you're running on?
(I'm still seearching for somewhere to buy a variable HP reg 'round these parts!) :(

Cheers guys.
Tim.

Phrak,

Unfortunately I've just lent one of the nasa's and regulator to a mate so I can't go an look at what is stamped on it. He's going to put a wok on it would you believe!

If it helps the regulator I use is a variable high pressure. I bought it with the burners from Globe Imports Adelaide.

regards
Scott

Latest posts

Back