Grunt From Your Burner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's the burner of choice?

• Nasa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 Ring

• 4 ring

• Mongolian

• Something else

• Total voters
I weighed my gas bottle before and after my brew today. 1.4kg of gas used for a 40-42 litre boil of 60min. Had it on very low during my sparge which lasted about an hour as well. Not too bad for a monster of a burner :)

I loooooove my mongolian burner

The nasa's look like a great option though :) ..... if i didnt already have a rambo B)

cheers

In this spirit, I recently tried a nasa burner, as everything I've heard about them had led me to believe that they were the goods - and the description of the noise they made was promising, but I could never get the nasa to fire up as well as comments had led me to expect - even Kai had told me that there must be something wrong with it, or wasn't tuned right after I told him what I reckoned about them a week ago, so I took the nasa to Maxbilt in Norwood, Adelaide this morning to see if there was something wrong with it, they fired it up and said straight away that it was working fine! Even checked my reg to see that it was working properly. They reckoned the nasa would be fine for 36-40 litres, but nowhere near enough for 60-70 litres (which is what my experience left me thinking after waiting over an hour to reach strike temp.....).

I still reckon that you need a higher pressure reg, the burner ought to sound roughly like a jet engine firing up when you run it at full bore. Sounds to like maxbilt are rating it a lot lower than other brewers are getting with a different regulator, as the ones I have seen in action will boil a lot more than 36-40.

Must say that the NASA works much better after disassembly and a good clean out with a wire brush. Mine brings 32L of wort to the boil in around 13 min.

Listen to old Screwy!
I did a brew day yesterday and during the boil thought,this does not sound like it once did (thought of Screwy's post)

I pulled it apart after the brew and found a piece of burnt wort (old boil over) plus bits of rust,paint etc.
Now it's away again,I had forgotten how good these dudes are.
Cheers to you Screwy ! :super:

Batz

Listen to old Screwy!
I did a brew day yesterday and during the boil thought,this does not sound like it once did (thought of Screwy's post)

I pulled it apart after the brew and found a piece of burnt wort (old boil over) plus bits of rust,paint etc.
Cheers to you Screwy ! :super:

Batz

hi, can someone provide a photo (thumbnail) of the nasa burner?. thanks

alan

This is a photo from Batz.

post-198-1136458143_thumb.jpg

Also use google to search for "nasa .jpg site:aussiehomebrewer.com". Results here.

Scott

hi, can someone provide a photo (thumbnail) of the nasa burner?. thanks

alan

Have a look at post#16 and #17 in this thread, this is the G&G type. The regs can be different though, pic of mine below (0.5-2bar), others else might like to post pics of the different regs.

HPReg_2Small.jpg

They go like shite when clean!

Something Else.

burn3.jpg

1AG002.jpg

burn2.jpg

No reg, just a simple tap running off Bottle Pressure.

Brought 34.0 Lt to strike temp of 80* in approx 15 min, so no different to the others really, I just enjoy making my own gear.

Cheers

Yard

Yardy! thats bad arse. Hows she go on the gas usage though?

Yardy! thats bad arse. Hows she go on the gas usage though?

Yeah..Makes a bit of noise :super:

I started with a Full Bottle and I'm keeping all the times etc in the Brewlog so when it dies I'll have some figures then.

Screwtop,

Yeah mate, that was the first run, bringing the Strike up, i think the pic is a bit deceiving with the glowing etc, once it's up and boiling it only takes a slight flame to keep it rolling.

1AG009.jpg

No problems with the soot etc, the lip seems to contain it all.

Yard

Has anyone ordered a nasa from globe recently?

How much is the whole setup going for?

Can these be converted to natural gas???

Cheers

Well in answer to my post

I rang Globe spoke to joe

He quoted 39 for the burner + 70 for the regulator + 15 postage

That's $124

I ordered one

Re: natural gas he said that they can be swapped over - but there will be a noticeable drop in pressure / flame

The jets just need to be drilled and he said a regulator won't be needed

Also he said that if the burner was near enough to the main distribution point that the flame would still be decent

Cheers

This is a photo from Batz.

post-198-1136458143_thumb.jpg

Also use google to search for "nasa .jpg site:aussiehomebrewer.com". Results here.

Scott

hi, thanks for the input and is this burner also called the turkey burner? since a burner is given this name in the trade.

cheers alan

Yeah, these are marketed in the US as "Turkey Fryers". Apparently Americans like to heat up huge pots of oil to deep fry WHOLE turkeys in. Sounds mighty tasty but my arteries are clogging thinking about it!

fireman.gif

Jeezus Yardy! Did you have liquid in that kettle? The pickup well in the bottom was glowing cherry.

I'll be a bit scared of those "besa" bricks exploding and a keg of boiling wort going who knows where :eek:

Batz

I'll be a bit scared of those "besa" bricks exploding and a keg of boiling wort going who knows where :eek:

Batz

They tend to colour up a bit but I'm working on a stand, picked up one of those 'Jackaroo' 3 legged bbqs at a grg sale and I'm modding it to fit the Kettle.

Cheers

They tend to colour up a bit but I'm working on a stand, picked up one of those 'Jackaroo' 3 legged bbqs at a grg sale and I'm modding it to fit the Kettle.

Cheers
Three legged BBQ sounds even worse. :eek:

Just remember the kettle once full weighs a bit more than a couple of snags and chops.

Three legged BBQ sounds even worse. :eek:

Just remember the kettle once full weighs a bit more than a couple of snags and chops.

That's why i said 'Modding It'. ;)

I'll shorten the legs to leave sufficient height for the burner to operate efficiently without going out, might even look at bracing the legs if the weight is too great but i think it should be right.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back