Gripes about AHB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started this thread and definitely didn't want to create more work for the mods in defending themselves. The trouble with emails / posts etc is there is no body language or voice emotions attached. It is very easy for things to be taken differently to how they were meant.
I have belonged to a lot of unrelated forums. Some are great. Some are pathetic. This one is pretty good.
I have been a moderator on one. It IS a lot of time consuming work and you start to think you must have been crazy to agree. It requires a real passion.
I personally feel the site needs to deal with the cause of the issues and not just patch them up. It is not hit you in the face obvious as to what section the post was actually posted in. For the casual reader they may think it is a stupid post but in actual fact quite okay for where it was posted. It can also be a bit hard to decide the appropriate section to actually post.
This forum has a massive amount of knowledge and experience in it. When you are new, it is a bit over whelming. until you get a feel for the layout, it can be a bit hard to find what you want. Sometimes you don't know what you are looking for until you stumble across it. A search brings up days worth of reading. It is easier to just ask a question. Might be annoying for those that remember discussing it yesterday but please don't get up the questioner. Just point out it has been covered and if you happen to know the section then all the better. They can then head off and do a search. If you have the time, a link to that post would put a smile on their face. As time goes, they will see it is a good site and they will get to know how it works and where to look.
There are many good links and articles in here but they are scattered, hard to find.
Anybody deliberately flaming someone should get a warning. Maybe they do. I have almost left a few times and certainly stuck my fingers up at the screen a few times because of some derogatory comment. I have just learnt that if I don't like it, just don't read it again. It's their problem, not mine.
I also feel that it is very healthy that the mods are even thinking about what issues there are and that members actually care enough to discuss them. No one is perfect ( present company excepted, of course).

On topic - Mods should be like AFL and cricket umpires - they do a great job when you don't even know they are there ........
It's only when they have a howler they become targets ....
Alfoil hat back on
Cheers
BBB

I'll say it again - We don't get paid for this.

This is not a shit stir or an attempt at provocation however I am curious. if I look at the mods list, the respective groups are "admin", "moderators" and "member".

Moderators stress they volunteer their services, but can I ask if 'admin' status people have a vested interest here ?

I have absolutely no issue with this by the way, if I were the site owner I'd also consider paying someone or a team to help enforce the rules, subject of course to revenue streams of course. As said I am just curious to know who has a vested interest and who does not.

As a non pro member (as yet), site admin could well tell me to MMYOB but if I were pro I would feel I had the right to know. Trust not too much to ask. :mellow: :blush:

I think the only income received is by site owners through advertising and pro-membership. Obviously they also pay the costs of running the site.

I honestly think this thread has run its course. Maybe it's time that the moderators close this thread. My opinion.

Goose said:
This is not a shit stir or an attempt at provocation however I am curious. if I look at the mods list, the respective groups are "admin", "moderators" and "member".

Moderators stress they volunteer their services, but can I ask if 'admin' status people have a vested interest here ?

I have absolutely no issue with this by the way, if I were the site owner I'd also consider paying someone or a team to help enforce the rules, subject of course to revenue streams of course. As said I am just curious to know who has a vested interest and who does not.

As a non pro member (as yet), site admin could well tell me to MMYOB but if I were pro I would feel I had the right to know. Trust not too much to ask. :mellow: :blush:
I cannot speak for Admin, but as a mod I don't receive any benefit, I still pay for my pro member status.

QldKev said:
I cannot speak for Admin, but as a mod I don't receive any benefit, I still pay for my pro member status.
Same in my case....

Admin like mods receive nothing for their efforts, we are not paid or given gratuities, we all receive nothing and don't ask for or expect anything.
Questions like that are really pretty insulting, as if we would only do this for personal gain, although I am sure you didn't intend it that way.
However in the interest of transparency I have answered the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndrewQLD said:
Admin like mods receive nothing for their efforts, we are not paid or given gratuities, we all receive nothing and don't ask for or expect anything.
Questions like that are really pretty insulting, as if we would only do this for personal gain, although I am sure you didn't intend it that way.

I'm on the mods side with this, they don't get payed for this and they don't need any grief from other members on their actions. I'm sure they are all warranted.

AndrewQLD said:

Fella, please don't be insulted I in no way intend to insult people that volunteer their time to maintaining the sanity of a free to opt in forum.

I respect your volunteer works, but one of you who I wont name, is so tenacious that I struggle to understand the extent of the dedication to the cause if there were no vested interest because given the time and effort he puts in I reckon he could make some real coin concentrating on some real business venture to make some GDP for Australia ;) . But of course money isn't everyone's driver. :D

I may not be a pro member yet but I always use the links above from this site to go shopping and I hope it helps. If I showed you how much I've spent in one of these shops over the last years you'd possibly be surprised.

Keep up the good work fellas and thanks for the heads up, I'll go back and MYOB., apologies for the curiousity.

LOL.

and not for the power and the glory (?).

where the mods job is to:

lead us not into temptation;
but deliver us from evil.

because:

For AHB is the kingdom,
for ever and ever.

I love how people poke shit at who gets paid,how this site is run,and who runs it. I personally pay for pro to help those that run the site. It's a matter if give and take. I'm not here to judge. If this site helps you then give a few bucks. It's dead simple. In real life if you want someone to Help you then you pay!! This site is dual purpose,1 a place to talk about and discuss the making of fermented products. 2 the social aspect of talking to people that share the same passion (hobby).I like to give back that's my way.

And as to Qld kev,he is a 'fibber he is helping us to make better brews so he can sample ours. it's a Qld thing.

BORN;12/8/74 Brisbane Woman's hospital. Btw.

;Spelleing edit.

Glot said:
The trouble with emails / posts etc is there is no body language or voice emotions attached. It is very easy for things to be taken differently to how they were meant.
You've hit the nail on the head here........... mix it with a belly full of grog & the hammer used to hit it turns into a Sledge Hammer or sadly in some posts a giant Wrecking Ball :)

From what I can see a lot of the problems could be fixed by a better search engine? I've tried using it several times on the app and it's horrible.

It's a shame. There are so many genuinely awesome people on here and even more knowledge, yet it's being tarnished by bullshit like this thread.

It's negative posts like that! It's a forum say what you will no problem. I was with you till the last sentence. The search engine could be better for shor. As well as threads that are 5 yrs old. The app on my droid ruined this site for me. I use chrome now.And I agree that 99.999879% of plp are great and helpfull.It's a matter of perspective,to say any thread is B.S. Isn't helpfull. I want to make a better site for all to enjoy. Maybe you should try that.

The site remains a work in progress. The next cab off the rank, as far as I can determine as merely a Moderator, is possibly a better and new Recipe DB. I can't give a timeframe, as that is entirely in Austin's hands, as are any other planned improvements.

I also paid for my Pro Membership. I have gained a lot of knowledge from this forum over the last almost 7 years, and it was a small token of appreciation to give a little back. For the same reason I agreed to accept appointment as a Moderator. None of the Moderators are paid, it is a labour of love.

There has been some friction in recent times, which has resulted in some warranted and obvious Admin/Mod reactions. Since then the forum seems to settled down again to be a much friendlier place. Moderating in those circumstances becomes almost invisible to the membership, which is as it should be if everyone has some basic respect for other members.

Keep on brewing chaps and chappettes, and making great beers. And tell us about them on this forum.

The trouble with emails / posts etc is there is no body language or voice emotions attached. It is very easy for things to be taken differently to how they were meant.
And THERE you have it!

Being very deaf I had lots multiple lots of trouble in the past with my emails & PM's being taken out of context by mods on both a forum & a personal level.

Andrew --- Dane gave all mods free Pro membership as a matter of course when Pro first appeared so you're now telling us that this has been discontinued by the new owners? :)
BTW, I have discontinued my Pro membership but that may change in the future?

Whilst on this subject, I'm wondering what happens (theoretically of course :p) if a mod retires from the moderation team but is "given" honorary moderator status by an admin, does he/she still have unrestricted use of his/hers moderation software or is the ability to use that software denied by admin on retirement in the same manner as with all other past mods but still leaving them with the honorary status of having their name highlighted in green?
This is a genuine question admin & I would really appreciate a reply. :D

I think that this thread needs to be pinned as all members here need a thread such as this to air any grievances or problems they may have at the time.

Latest posts

Back