Gripes about AHB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glot

Reaction score
If you want a manager to fix a problem, don't go whinging to them. Take to them the problem AND the solution.
There seems to be a few longer time members that are unhappy with the current site. Perhaps offer constructive information rather than just saying " I don't like the site anymore" etc. If the admin is worth even peanuts, they will take all this on board and make decisions for the best outcome of AHB. Companies evolve and so do forums. Perhaps the site should be split into two. An old style and a new style. I don't know what it used to be like but it sounds like it filled a need. It still fills a need but perhaps different.
We all have bad or frustrating days but no one else really wants to hear about it.
Hopefully, the moderators will start tightening up on offensive and offending posts, listen to members suggestions, move the site forward.
Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.

Remember, it is not compulsory to join this forum, view posts or answer posts to be a home brewer.

Personally Glot, I dont mind hearing about peoples bad or frustrating days if for no other reason than it makes me feel better about mine.

Why do you think blues music is so popular?

No.
It's the superfluous 2c opinions that get my goat.

I know..why don't we all just talk about brewing and brewing related topics. It seems all some members do these days is whinge and complain about moderation. And that's ALL THEY DO.

There is a Monty Python cartoon scene in the The Search fo the Holy Grail. It was the weather scene. The weather had decided to play by its own beat, missing the odd winter, jump all over the place and not being reasonable.

Then god opens the door in the clouds pokes his head out and yells " Oih...knock it off...."

AHB needed that god.

Ducatiboy stu said:
There is a Monty Python cartoon scene in the The Search fo the Holy Grail. It was the weather scene. The weather had decided to play by its own beat, missing the odd winter, jump all over the place and not being reasonable.

Then god opens the door in the clouds pokes his head out and yells " Oih...knock it off...."

AHB needed that god.
Blasphemer! Worshipping false idols. You're not worthy of his sauce!

"Call the church police!"

THHHEEEE. CHUURRRCH. POOLIIICCCEE.

Edit: please note: This is a Monty Python quote, nothing more.

Ducatiboy stu said:

AHB needed that god.
Terry Gilliam's now a mod?

Awesome!

Though some of his animations use to give me the odd nightmare as a child, it as worth it.

Ok peoples I think that's far enough off track lets get back to the actual topic now

Truman said:
I know..why don't we all just talk about brewing and brewing related topics. It seems all some members do these days is whinge and complain about moderation. And that's ALL THEY DO.
Glot said:
There seems to be a few longer time members that are unhappy with the current site. .......
Hopefully, the moderators will start tightening up on offensive and offending posts, listen to members suggestions, move the site forward.
Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.
This pretty much sums up the mods' position.

I would add that we lost a number of longer time members who were very very helpful, because they were unhappy with the site and the offensive and offending posts. Add in that now we do, we have the whinging to deal with as well.

This is a brewing forum. Primarily about brewing. Let's all talk about brewing and beer related stuff.

I would add, that the mods have spent a lot of time discussing, moderating and trying to get this forum as a great place for all (not the select few troublemakers). And now, because we're trying to fix up things, our workload has increased, because now we're 'required' to defend ourselves all the time.

I'll say it again - We don't get paid for this.

Other things behind the scenes we do is keeping the spammers and bots off. You'd be whinging if every second post was the latest steroid or penis-enlargement cream.

I endorse what Lord Raja Goomba 1 said.

We don't get paid, and reviewing every post is a time consuming undertaking.
And yes, every post is reviewed, so no one needs to feel they are singled out, as that just doesn't happen.

The rules and guidelines are clear, and written in plain language, and were adopted by every member on signing up to the forum.

Over the previous 6 months or so, I lost interest in the forum to a degree, because of the mudslinging etc which went on. However, I am happy to now again participate and do my bit to bring it back into line as a true brewing forum. There is some fantastic stuff on here, and it is a great resource. Let's all make sure it is and remains just that.

warra48 said:
Over the previous 6 months or so, I lost interest in the forum to a degree, because of the mudslinging etc which went on. However, I am happy to now again participate and do my bit to bring it back into line as a true brewing forum. There is some fantastic stuff on here, and it is a great resource. Let's all make sure it is and remains just that.
Exactly this.

If I hadn't been asked to be a mod, I'd probably have drifted completely away from AHB, as I had pretty much done.

Same reason. Nasty people, off-topic to the point of annoyance (rather than just Aussie larrikinism), no new information and the older members having all but disappeared.

This has rekindled my hope for AHB.

I wouldn't say I'm the most experienced member or that I've had any massive contributions, but I'm prepared to discuss brewing and hopefully someone that is capable of really given good information is part of the discussion. I also have been more than happy to help noobs out - again, you lose your intermediate members, the noobs lose out as well.

barls said:
Ok peoples I think that's far enough off track lets get back to the actual topic now
Alrighty then.

Here's my slightly strong cup of coffee driven take.

AHB isn't my house, I didn't build it, I'm simply a guest. If I overstep what my hosts consider acceptable decorum and get pulled up or spanked, its a fair cop and I'll accept the refs decision.
In your house, it may be acceptable to put you grubby feet on the coffee table, express loud brainless opinions and call your wife a c*nt, in my house, it ain't, and if you do I'll ask to to change your behavior, if you refuse, I'll ask you to leave.
Pretty ******* simple really.
This is no cowering capitulation on my behalf for fear of being 86'ed from the board, rather a simpler option than endless multi page bitch-fests about moderation standards. (yes, I get the irony..)

Now the phone wont stop ringing, so i gotta zipp.

Is there a list of who the Mods are? Up until recently Bradsbrew was the only moderator whose activity I noticed, but threads like this make me aware of more. I primarily use the mobile site so don't see signatures etc. (assuming they are indicated there).

Prince Imperial said:
Is there a list of who the Mods are? Up until recently Bradsbrew was the only moderator whose activity I noticed, but threads like this make me aware of more. I primarily use the mobile site so don't see signatures etc. (assuming they are indicated there).
At the bottom right of the forums page. There is a link to The Moderating team.

Just out of interest, I see Adops is an Admin as well with zero posts. Is he on Austin's side doing the technical stuff?

EDIT: I'll stop posting now, 4 edits in two minutes is two much.

Yes, I believe he is working on software. Austin may be able to give more info on this though.

i find it funny when i see gripe posts, or ones referring to them and whatnot, because i don't recall any of the supposed rubbish that went on, although perhaps i just didn't care to find it or search for it. it's a site with rules. follow them or leave. what else is there to discuss? well done moderators on a tough job. these threads make me laugh just as much as any actual, unread-by-me gripes. let them die perhaps and move on? what are we, kindergarten kids?

Latest posts

Back