Gripes about AHB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The two posts after my last are good examples of a healthy site. I agree that the site has improved in the last month it two. It's much more open and friendly a place to "hang". Tidal Pete has asked a question. I'm not really interested in the answer but the fact that mods & or admin are willing to listen says volumes.

Dane gave all mods free Pro membership as a matter of course when Pro first appeared so you're now telling us that this has been discontinued by the new owners?
Better not be! :lol:

To be honest, for a brewing forum I've always been surprised by how little mess seems to be made on here with drunken blather and noise. Not that it isn't entertaining.

I think my comment is valid and your statements thereafter confirm so. If your objective is to improve this site, why have a thread titled "gripes about AHB" and give people carte blanche to whinge when a thread could have been started along the lines of "ways we can improve AHB" and require that people put forward possible positive solutions to any problems they perceive.

Um well look I'm trying ok. Maybe I've not drunk enough today. 3 borbons 3 750mil Carlton draft and a Seraira Nevada. Dam I can't even spell.

StalkingWilbur said:
I think my comment is valid and your statements thereafter confirm so. If your objective is to improve this site, why have a thread titled "gripes about AHB" and give people carte blanche to whinge when a thread could have been started along the lines of "ways we can improve AHB" and require that people put forward possible positive solutions to any problems they perceive.
This "Gripes about AHB" thread was not started by Admins/Mods, it was started by a member.

The "Moderation Guidelines - Announcement" thread requesting constructive feedback was started by Admin.

Lets try and stay on a positive note. :beerbang:

Sozzled.

Guys, I know that some of the moderation has been heavy handed (*puts hand up*) but it's to make this a friendly forum with relevant information in the right place and a place to be social but respectful manner.

Your positive comments mean we're on our way.

We're working hard to get the other issues (recipedb, articles) up to site owners and they're trying to get them right.

As for modding, we will be less conspicuous as this place has settled down and the guidelines are clear for all to see.

TidalPete said:
And THERE you have it!

Being very deaf I had lots multiple lots of trouble in the past with my emails & PM's being taken out of context by mods on both a forum & a personal level.

Andrew --- Dane gave all mods free Pro membership as a matter of course when Pro first appeared so you're now telling us that this has been discontinued by the new owners? :)
BTW, I have discontinued my Pro membership but that may change in the future?

Whilst on this subject, I'm wondering what happens (theoretically of course :p) if a mod retires from the moderation team but is "given" honorary moderator status by an admin, does he/she still have unrestricted use of his/hers moderation software or is the ability to use that software denied by admin on retirement in the same manner as with all other past mods but still leaving them with the honorary status of having their name highlighted in green?
This is a genuine question admin & I would really appreciate a reply. :D

I think that this thread needs to be pinned as all members here need a thread such as this to air any grievances or problems they may have at the time.
You need to get off the band wagon pete, mods at the time pro memberships were given to mods for one year in order to test it, and judging from your comments regarding Pro membership it's not much of a perk? And to be honest pro membership doesn't give us any more because as mods we needed the extras to begin with and had them.
Honourary moderators? if one wants to resign and is unswayed by staff not to then yes, they no longer have access to the mod areas.

Hope that answered your question.

I agree with AndrewQLD.

A number of new mods were appointed after the Pro Membership was introduced. We paid for it before we were appointed as Mods. I don't care if I need to pay to renew it or not. It's not a big impost on my total budget.

And yes, mods who have resigned lose their access to mods only access and any other facilities which go along with being a mod. There is no such thing as an honorary mod, you either are a mod or you are not.

Hope you have a great new year Pete.

StalkingWilbur said:
Upon rereading Glot's original post I'm not really sure he was inviting criticism towards AHB but rather revoking it. But build it and they will come. And how can you fix something if you don't know it's broken. There are more constructive "improving AHB" threads but it's a forum and current threads will always dominate.

Not having a go at your post SW, just using it for context.

I don't see a problem asking whether admin receive financial gain from their positions and frankly I'm surprised they're not. I spend a fair bit of time scanning this site and have noted that the mod presence here is almost omnipresent. To spend that amount of time governing this site I feel a little guilty that you're not reimbursed financially, but it shows your dedication to this site and kudos to you. Actually, it makes me less inclined towards paying for pro-membership knowing you are not receiving financial gain. I'm not being ignorant of your commitment, but I've a mortgage, a young family and **** all hours in the day, I can appreciate the value of one's time.

No this thread does not need pinning.

It's the same cycle of stupidity.

A small minority whinge, we attempt to be more consultative and fix the issues that are valid.

They keep whinging. Thread gets nasty. Mods take action.

A small minority have a whinge.

This is a beer forum, not a whine forum.

No it does not Andrew. <_<
Some things are better left unsaid publically & so it will be.
End of the matter.

Waiting for my suspension &/or ban from AHB.

Feel free to pm me Pete with any questions you, which is what you should have done initially

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not trying to flog a dead horse. But I feel it's a matter perspective;pay if you wish or not. If you want to say whatever,then maybe Twitter is a better forum. This site is controlled (moderated) you may not say what you want to a point if it's insulting/offending that I think is fair. Many places on the net aren't it makes it a better place here. Fairly simple I think.

TidalPete said:
No it does not Andrew.
Some things are better left unsaid publically & so it will be.
End of the matter.

Waiting for my suspension &/or ban from AHB.
C'mon Pete, why would you get a susp/ban for that post. You are obviously referring to a particular mod that has recently stated he is having a break, yeah? If we were having a beer together I would probably rip your hearing aid out stick my tongue in your ear and whisper shout sweet nothings in your ear, which would probably be mumbled considering my tongue is in your ear. :D

Basically if a mod resigns and/or is inactive for a period of time, they will lose access to mods areas and be reset to member. Simple as that.

As far as payment goes, my time spent here is a donation to the brewing community of AHB. I have gained a lot from this place and see it as giving something back to the community. People give back in many ways such as detailed technical info, organising brew comps/clubs etc, stewarding etc the list could go on. However if Austin wants to blow the moths off the cheque book :lol: :lol: :lol:.

As far as the Pro membership goes, well the mods do need to have access to the Pro section so why not let them have it. Pretty sure that will be covered by Austin.

Hope this covers the questions. Did somebody say beer.

Cheers

Amen.I for one want to pump tidal Pete for his knowage. Plus I may watch you and your tongue. I DO LIKE TO WATCH.

Goose said:
half your luck mate ;), I'd be lucky to get to do that one hour a week
Haha! I see what you did there Goose!

PS. I'll have to bill you for this banter. Time is money.

Looking at the search function on the iPhone app and am thinking that if there were options like "match exact string", "search subject only" and "search last month, 3 months, year etc" that it would go a long way to helping noobs find more of what they need without asking basic questions over and over again.

Select google from the drop down menu and you'll notice it improve. Uses google engine to search within the site for your keyword/s.

Back