Green Coffee Bean Yeast.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chookers

Reaction score
This is a strange thing.. I have coffee beans growing and apparently your ment to ferment them before drying them out.. So I put them in some water with a little sugar and nothing else. It wasnt long before I had a foam on top that looked like a yeast.. also the water was bubbly/fizzy looking as if its fermenting..

Now, Im wondering if this yeast could be used in Homebrewing... and if so what type of product would best suit it.

Has anyone else out there used this stuff?? and if so what was the result (good/bad)??

I'd like to get your opinions on this, I am eager to try it out dont know what sort of Alc tolerance it has though..

would have to go in a coffe porter or stout wouldnt it? :p

I recently processed some coffee beans harvested from a relatives farm in the hinterland of Byron Bay. After splitting the fleshy case of the beans I left them in water for 16hours to 'ferment'/soak. I got some bubbly goop on the top of the water but nothing like a ferment. Judging by the smell if there is yeast there its more likely to be wild stuff off the beans.

In terms of using wild yeast the Belgians do it and produce some of the best beers in the world (although the idea of throwing horse blanket flavours worries me slightly). Everyone is always keen to hear how an experiment goes so if you do give it a go post the results when done. I on the other hand can't bear to risk 23L of precious beer so will stick to the strains that have been carefully selected over many generations.

Good Luck

Stew

PS. The home processed coffee turned out great BTW. Good crema and aroma.

I recently processed some coffee beans harvested from a relatives farm in the hinterland of Byron Bay. After splitting the fleshy case of the beans I left them in water for 16hours to 'ferment'/soak. I got some bubbly goop on the top of the water but nothing like a ferment. Judging by the smell if there is yeast there its more likely to be wild stuff off the beans.

In terms of using wild yeast the Belgians do it and produce some of the best beers in the world (although the idea of throwing horse blanket flavours worries me slightly). Everyone is always keen to hear how an experiment goes so if you do give it a go post the results when done. I on the other hand can't bear to risk 23L of precious beer so will stick to the strains that have been carefully selected over many generations.

Good Luck

Stew

PS. The home processed coffee turned out great BTW. Good crema and aroma.

Hey Waggastew, how do you roast your beans, oven? how long what temp.. mine either burn or dont cook enough.

I might risk the yeast on a very small test batch of something may be as small as 2 Lt.. (because I am too curious but still dont want to waste 25L :icon_vomit: )

OMG what a disgusting mess..

Last night I tried to make a yeast starter with the coffee bean yeast. I put 1tsp of sugar 1tsp of bakers yeat and 1/8 tsp Nutrient salts with about 1 cup of boiling water, when it cooled I added about 1/2tsp of the coffee bean liquid. This morining it had a foam on top, but I had 1 Cup of snot.... it was disgusting.. the whole cup of water had become slime..

So I will not be taking this any further.
Im sure no-one wants to drink something with the texture of phlegm. bottoms up. :icon_cheers: ... :icon_drool2: ... :icon_vomit:

Latest posts

Back