grassy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazzagahan

Reaction score
Hi guys, i did my first extract brew 4 days ago based on the Cooper's chubby cherub recipe. i also added a mini mash of carapils (40 mins). the wort is fermenting happily but there's a noticeable greenish tinge with a grassy taste coming through. any suggestions as to what's going on, and more importantly, is the batch a goner? thanks for your time, gaz

A greenish colour? That's odd.

Tell me what what hops you added. What type, what amount, when?

25g Chinook hop pellets
25g Nelson Sauvin hop pellets
25g of Cascade pelles

brought about 500g of Light Dry Malt to the boil with 5 litres of water.
Added 25g of Chinook Hops and boiled for 10min.
Then added 25g of Nelson Sauvin Hops and continued to boil for another 10min.
Added 25g of Cascade Hops and continue to boil for 5min

crash cooled in ice water bath, strained into fermenter.
Added 1.5kg Amber Malt and 1.5kg Light Malt, topped to 23 litre.

pitched yeast at 22 degrees C

no dry hops

from the pellets, the green tinge is normal,

You may have a grassy taste due to tannins which are usually neutralized by the boil. If shorter boil times are not giving you the desired hop aroma, or a grassy flavour is evident, then I would suggest Dry Hopping next time.
Dry hopping is adding the hop sack to the fermentation process usually about a week or so into a two week ferment.
you can do it earlier, but the aromas can be taken away during the fermentation process as it can escape with the CO2.

Your beer will clear out the longer you can leave it.
I know it's hard, but if you can resist the temptation, you'll have a really nice tasting beer next time round

Back