Grand Cru

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
Hi all.

Im begining my Belgian brewing journey soon and love a good Grand Cru from the bottle shop.

Did some reading in the BJCP bible to see what its atributes should be brewing wise and there doesnt seem to be any refference to it.

What chatagory does it come under.

Im hoping some folks more experienced in belgian brews can help me out here :)

PS........... stepped up my 3787 starter last night. Tasted the liquid i poured off and actually went back for thirds........... its delightful. The first starter i have actually drank and not spat out! The yeast clears well and the flavours are exactly what i was after. The cube of trippel on the floor in the garage is looking a bit nervous now :)

Cheers

I thought the term 'grand cru' means "this is the grandest, finest beer that we can brew at our brewery" rather than an actual brewing style as such. I've tasted Grand Cru's (Belgian and otherwise) that cover styles from wheatbeers to Belgian dubbels.
If you're looking to make something like Murrays Grand Cru, you'd be looking at the style guidelines for a "belgian strong ale" but that is a pretty broad category in itself.

also I reckon Grand Crus are usually stronger than the normal releases from the brewery (traditionally speaking)

Happy brewing!

If you're looking to make something like Murrays Grand Cru, you'd be looking at the style guidelines for a "belgian strong ale" but that is a pretty broad category in itself.

also I reckon Grand Crus are usually stronger than the normal releases from the brewery (traditionally speaking)
Just to add to that, most 'Grand Cru' beers i've come across seem to be something similiar to Tripel, something reasonably pale but strong and complexly fruity.
I think it really depends on the brewery, but the term itself really seem to beg a beer of the highest quality possible...like Rodenbach Grand Cru is pretty similiar to the original, but stronger in alcohol and possibly a bit better balanced.

I wonder if it also means its an AG beer and doesnt have sugar added?

just guessing?

cheers

I don't think thats the case Tony, most of those Belgian Grand Crus have candy sugar in them.

Hi all.

Im begining my Belgian brewing journey soon and love a good Grand Cru from the bottle shop.

Hey Tony if its Hoegaarden Grand Cru you're talking about according to Michael Jackson its made entirely from pilsner malt with no sugar and is spiced.

OG is 1.075, no idea on the hops. Maybe Styrian Goldings would be a good starting point and a bit of Saaz.

Agree with the others though. Grand Cru is not a style per se moreso a term for the brewery's finest offering.

Warren -

Link to the recipe in the other recently-revived Grand Cru thread for ya , Tony.

I plan to brew a Hoey GC-type ale soon. Maybe like this:

Teninch Grand Cru
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 31-07-08
Style: Belgian Tripel Brewer: Seth
Batch Size: 25.00 L Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 31.51 L Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.60 kg Rice Hulls (0.0 EBC) Adjunct 6.6 %
8.50 kg Pilsner (IMC) (3.9 EBC) Grain 93.4 %
40.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min) Hops 16.9 IBU
30.00 gm Strisslespalt [1.80%] (60 min) Hops 4.6 IBU
25.00 gm Strisslespalt [1.80%] (15 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
25.00 gm Crushed Coriander (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
45.00 gm fresh Orange Peel - Navel (it's in season, OK?) (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Belgian Wit II (White Labs #WLP410) [Starter 2000 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.075 SG (1.075-1.085 SG)
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.020 SG (1.010-1.016 SG)
Estimated Color: 9.6 EBC
Bitterness: 23.3 IBU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 7.3 %

Mash Profile Name: Double Infusion, Light Body Mash Tun Weight: 4.00 kg
Mash Grain Weight: 9.10 kg

IN the classic beer styles book on Belgians there's a Grand Cru recipe that states it's good to use a two yeast fermentation - the first with a weak attenuating yeast and in the secondary a wild type or high attenuating yeast. In general always seems to be heaps of different recipes floating around for these but in that book just for 5 Gallons pale malt 4KG a bit of crystal110G a small amount of chocolate 10G and sugar 450G - no spices . Hops are Styrians for bittering 23IBU and 20Grams of Goldings for aroma.

Back