Grains got wet?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfWit

Reaction score
Hi, I just went to get my grains out of my 80L esky to measure up for a brew tomorrow and found my half a bag of Pils malt sitting in 2cm of water. I have no idea how the water got in, it seems way to much for condensation. Anyhoo, I was wondering if the grains that were sitting out of the water and are dry, would they still be okay or would mould be lurking around somewhere?

You'll be able to make a nice beer out of it just drink it quickly while it's fresh.

Listen to this Basic Brewing Radio interview with Charlie Papazian starting at 43:45, it''s not exactly the same as your scenario but it highlights just how spoiled for quality we are these days.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr09-28-06.mp3

Depending on how much malt you've have and how wet its got spread it out & start drying it, but you'd still want to try & use it reasonable quickly.

Thanks real_beer. It's all measured out and Im about to start milling :)

How long do you think its been wet mold could be a problem.

Get any wet grains as dry as possible, as quickly as possible and brew as soon as possible.
I had the end of a bulk buy sack get wet and develop some mould a few months back.

Made beer purely for myself and did a bit of research on various moulds that grow on malt. Made beer that I could drink but I wasn't in a hurry to give it away. Beer was -not great and if it happened again, I'd cut my losses. I did also chuck the remainder of the bag after making that brew.

Latest posts

Back