Grain Storage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reviled

Reaction score
Hey guys

How long on average can you store cracked grain for? And whats the best way of storing it? At the mo I just have it in plastic bags under the bed :eek:

I only purchased pre-cracked malt once, but I used it within maybe 2-3 months. No issues. I've heard that pre-cracked malt is more prone to staling, but I really don't have first hand experience.

I only purchased pre-cracked malt once, but I used it within maybe 2-3 months. No issues. I've heard that pre-cracked malt is more prone to staling, but I really don't have first hand experience.

Wicked, thats what I wanted to hear, I went and bought about 15kg of various different malts and was hoping I didnt have to brew it all up this weekend...

Allthough in saying that, I still might :icon_drunk: haha

I have some cracked crystal still sitting in the fridge. It has been there for probably a bit over 6 mnths.

Did a brew the other day with some of it and the beer turned out great, has a big portion of crystal in it too.

I keep the grain in an air tight container - since it is specialty malt there isnt a great deal of it sitting there taking up room.

Cheers

Honestly I'd be using it within a week of it being cracked.

Really? Shit :eek: Even if its in an air tight container?

And does putting it in the fridge make it last longer?

My point is why potentially compromise the ingredients that you've spent good $$$ on. I'd be brewing it while it's fresh and leave the storage process to when it in the bottle/keg rather than let cracked grain sit for extended periods.

My point is why potentially compromise the ingredients that you've spent good $$$ on. I'd be brewing it while it's fresh and leave the storage process to when it in the bottle/keg rather than let cracked grain sit for extended periods.

I see where youre coming from, but for someone who has to drive an hour to get their grain (with petrol costs these days) and also for someone who does not have a mill and is not keen to crush 5-10kg of grain with a rolling pin, not to mention the fact that I cant afford a mill, sometimes getting the grain pre crushed and the need to store it is a reality...

So cheers guys, ill be looking for some air tight containers over glad bags, and put what I can in my lil beer fridge :icon_cheers:

I don't disagree with you, devo. I crack my grain fresh, always. The point that I was making is that it will still be a pretty good beer, just maybe not quite as malty. Not necessarily advocating it as a procedure, just saying that in this case done is done, and theres no real point stressing on it. EDIT and reviled makes a good point about not always being able to get fresh.

Reviled, don't worry too much mate. As long as your grain bills for your recipes have a half decent mix with a bit of complexity in it, and its not just plain old JW Pils all the way, it'll be cool. It would be better if it was freshly cracked, but that doesn't mean that it will be bad. But then, it would be better if it was freshly roasted as well, and how many people around here roast their own grain fresh? (Ok, I'll admit it. I do. And it is better. But I don't always do it, and when I don't do it, the roof doesnt cave in.)

Just don't let it sit forever and a day.

lol, I feel way better after that, cheers matey :D

I have kept craked grain for up to 6 months in dry cool conditions. Still made great beer.

Dont stress. If you are only keeping it a few months I dont think you will notice the difference.

Kabooby :)

As above.
I have used cracked grains 4-5 months old with no problems.

I am talking about shop cracked grains. They (the shops) tend to under crack them slightly.
If you crack them really fine, the grains get more exposed to staling.
I have used wardrobe "Camels" and the moisture attracting Pads to draw the moisture away from the grain.
The effectiveness of these only last a short time, 3-4 months maximum depending on the humidity if course.
:)

Currently using (from Craftbrewer) Cracked Crystal for my Pommy Bitters and Cracked Carapils for my German Style lagers - all basically extract brews although I intend to use a 'bland' kit now and again as if it's just Malt Extract and get some 'free' bittering with it.

Using 200 to 250 g of steeped grain per brew I would expect to 'turn over' all grains within six weeks each. In my fridge in the brewery the veg crisper bin at the bottom has become my Malt'n hops bin and I just roll over the end of the 1 kg bag tightly, attach a couple of clothes pegs and store it like that.

After a month so far they smell and taste identical to when I got them, about to reorder the crystal.

Cracked malts will keep fine for months as long as kept cool & dry. If they are stored in an airtight container i wouldn't be worrying at all.

Cheers Ross

As I have never kept cracked gran for longer than a couple o days, I suspect, like with everything, that you give it a go and see what happens. If you have to walk 7 hours through driving snow to get fresh grain I guess there is your answer. If you dont have a mill and can't justify driving so far to get it I guess you will have to store cracked grain. Either way cracked or uncracked if its not stored correctly it will spoil.

Steve

Back