Grain potential in metric ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerisyummy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Is there an easy source for potential gravity that's in metric units?

I've been getting silly figures from Beersmith and wanted to check a few things.

Cheers.

Multiply by ~8.34 (litres per gallon divided by kilograms per pound).

So 37ppg = 308 points/litre/kg

In beersmith you create a new recipe and set the volume at 1Litre and use 1 kg of the specific grain your interested in and it will give you the expected gravity. it is pretty quick if you want to check a few items.

TSMill said:
Multiply by ~8.34 (litres per gallon divided by kilograms per pound).

So 37ppg = 308 points/litre/kg
Thanks mate.
I'd already done the math on a couple of base malts. What I was really looking for was an easy reference that had the metric version of ppg.

I guess I can just do up a spread sheet and print it off as a quick reference for the brew shed.

Black n Tan said:
In beersmith you create a new recipe and set the volume at 1Litre and use 1 kg of the specific grain your interested in and it will give you the expected gravity. it is pretty quick if you want to check a few items.
The only problem with that is getting the Est mash efficiency set to 100%. I'll have a play and see if I can't get something to use on the Beersmith mobile app.

It would be damned handy to be able to mess with my recipes as I dial in my equipment. That's the problem with tinkering.
The last few batches have incorporated a sparge with the HERMS and have been hitting mid 90's. I'm glad things are working well but, I'm concerned about getting less than desirable extraction of nasties.

The last batch tasted fine so I guess it's just time to RAHAHB.

Edit: That's right. Australia day on the harbour cleaned me out of beer kegs!

Beerisyummy said:
Thanks mate.
I'd already done the math on a couple of base malts. What I was really looking for was an easy reference that had the metric version of ppg.

I guess I can just do up a spread sheet and print it off as a quick reference for the brew shed.

The only problem with that is getting the Est mash efficiency set to 100%. I'll have a play and see if I can't get something to use on the Beersmith mobile app.

It would be damned handy to be able to mess with my recipes as I dial in my equipment. That's the problem with tinkering.
The last few batches have incorporated a sparge with the HERMS and have been hitting mid 90's. I'm glad things are working well but, I'm concerned about getting less than desirable extraction of nasties.

The last batch tasted fine so I guess it's just time to RAHAHB.

Edit: That's right. Australia day on the harbour cleaned me out of beer kegs!
Cant you just set the total efficiency for the recipe at 100%? I tried it with Joe White caramalt and got 300 with the equation above and 301 with beer smith, so pretty close.

The problem you are going to have is that brewers and as a consequence the information supplied to brewers is all sent in the EBC format, which is % Yield as reported by the congress mash, the standard test all malt is subjected to before being sold.
ppg, p/L/Kg and the like aren't used in the brewing industry so no one could be arsed sitting down and making a table like the one you are looking for.

You could always ask your supplier for a COA (Certificate of Analysis) that they should be getting with each malt delivery, and remember that there is going to be both seasonal and batch to batch variation in the malts specifications so the only really accurate information is the COA for the batch you are using.

Here are a couple I got with my last delivery - Hope it helps
Mark
View attachment WM281MEL_Pilsner_M38D.pdf
View attachment T.F 31 Maris Otter Pale Ale.pdf

Black n Tan said:
Cant you just set the total efficiency for the recipe at 100%? I tried it with Joe White caramalt and got 300 with the equation above and 301 with beer smith, so pretty close.
Already done. I have added one on my phone for a quick reference guide using Beersmith.
Truth be told, using software can be a pain sometimes. It takes your focus off of what's actually happening.

MHB said:
The problem you are going to have is that brewers and as a consequence the information supplied to brewers is all sent in the EBC format, which is % Yield as reported by the congress mash, the standard test all malt is subjected to before being sold.
ppg, p/L/Kg and the like aren't used in the brewing industry so no one could be arsed sitting down and making a table like the one you are looking for.

You could always ask your supplier for a COA (Certificate of Analysis) that they should be getting with each malt delivery, and remember that there is going to be both seasonal and batch to batch variation in the malts specifications so the only really accurate information is the COA for the batch you are using.

Here are a couple I got with my last delivery - Hope it helps
Mark
attachicon.gif
WM281MEL_Pilsner_M38D.pdf
attachicon.gif
T.F 31 Maris Otter Pale Ale.pdf
Thanks Mark. Now if I only knew how to understand that sheet!
At least it gives me some more research to do.
You never know, I may actually make it into your shop one of these days.
Very tricky to find if you don't know it.

For now I'm content with the figures I've been getting. Thanks for all the replies.

Latest posts

Back