Grain Particles In Boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francismcphail

Reaction score
Just started to boil another brew and noticed that I have a truckload of grain, husks etc etc in the boil as well. (So much that if I dip in a small strainer the mesh comes out lined with it. I'm going to add in some irish moss towards the end of the boil just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for filtering out the crap that doesn't sink with the irish moss and after a bit of a whirlpooling?

I know some will fall out when I chill the wort after the boil, and some will fall in the fermentation stage just wondering how to filter out all the remaining crap.

my first two brews with my false bottom were like this. it does settle out in the fermenter.

When running into your fermenter run it through the strainer.

The other concern is with a lot of husk in the boil is extracting tannins.

Thanks for the quick replies.. too late to worry now i guess. :)

Boil has finished, just waiting for it to cool.

Just started to boil another brew and noticed that I have a truckload of grain, husks etc etc in the boil as well. (So much that if I dip in a small strainer the mesh comes out lined with it. I'm going to add in some irish moss towards the end of the boil just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for filtering out the crap that doesn't sink with the irish moss and after a bit of a whirlpooling?

I know some will fall out when I chill the wort after the boil, and some will fall in the fermentation stage just wondering how to filter out all the remaining crap.

RHAHB :D

Screwtop exactly... I had nothing to worry about..

Finished the boil, whilpooled, let the bugger sit, and 90 mins later racked into a cube to cool over night leaning against the close line :)

Turned out all the crap sunk heavy to the bottom with the break material after the irish moss went in.

When brewing ales it brings character to the ale.

If it is too much of it in a lager it is best to attempt to remove the majority as it may give the Lager some unwanted
astringent characters.

The again, I remove it with a pan frying-mesh/grease catcher, if I remember.

I attach a fine mesh hop sock on to the end of my runoff hose held by a rubber band...
A bit like a Redneck Franger.. :p
Works a treat..catches all the bits without impeding the flow...

Sqyre... ;)

After adding in the irish moss, whirlpooling wort was crystal clear.
Racked to cube, and popped into the fermenter 5 mins ago.

Ran the gravity through Beersmith, and with the new false bottom which SWMBO designed :eek: efficiency went from 75% to 80.9% for this brew...

Reading up and looking through some posts hopefully the next batch will be sparged @ 80c above the normal 74c 'ish and this should bring up the %% a few more points...

After adding in the irish moss, whirlpooling wort was crystal clear.
Racked to cube, and popped into the fermenter 5 mins ago.

Ran the gravity through Beersmith, and with the new false bottom which SWMBO designed :eek: efficiency went from 75% to 80.9% for this brew...

Reading up and looking through some posts hopefully the next batch will be sparged @ 80c above the normal 74c 'ish and this should bring up the %% a few more points...

Use whatever temp is required for your system to keep your grainbed temp at 77C, for mine I need water at 89C for fly sparging after a short mash out rest at 77C. If batch sparging I still need water at 89C to fill the tun after running off first runnings to maintain the grainbed temp @ 77C. Mash bed temp must drop a bit.

Back