Grain Mills

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

I've had my Marga for about 2 years, bought it from Grumpy's for about 80-90 bucks. It came with their modifications and I haven't touched it. I use it at least twice a month and give it a cursory cleaning with supplied brush after each use.
My efficiency is generally in the 80% range and I'm a firm believer in the theory that a good crush is essential to an efficient mash. Based on results and looking at the price I'd say that a Marga, even if it costs $150, is a bargain mill. mill.JPG

Ross,

what a bargain, I am looking into having a go at AG so this does interest me. But as there will be no movement until after Xmas. In the mean time; how much for the barra lure, are they on "Craftbrewer" yet?

daniel

Daniel,

Not going on the site, but if you want one, just mention in the comments box when you buy something & I'll throw one in for ya...

cheers Ross

Mills, Barra lures.... Bloody hell Ross. Is there no end to the catalogue?

What types of beer can we expect from thr "Ross Fresh Wort Kits"??

Festa.

Are you selling them modified
That's what I mean Ross. Technically Marga's aren't designed for the Homebrewer like a CNS or Barleycrusher, Valley etc.
The $100 I save not buying a Marga will mean my Brissybrew mill will be $100 cheaper :)

Fair enough tangent - good point.
Cheers
Steve

Now that I understand the mill does require some modding, I intend to offer in both formats.
Modified price will be published after I take up Screwtops most generous offer to come down & show me what's required. Hopefully it will add little to the final price...

cheers Ross

Now that I understand the mill does require some modding, I intend to offer in both formats.
Modified price will be published after I take up Screwtops most generous offer to come down & show me what's required. Hopefully it will add little to the final price...

cheers Ross

Put my name on the order list for a modified mill please Ross. Let me know when you have them. :D
Cheers
Steve

P.S. Dont need a barra lure - not many barra in canberra!

Having read all these posts I just ordered a barley crusher from Grain and Grape at 20% off the retail price. I think they are having a sale if anyone is interested.

J

Ross - just wondering when your (modified) marga mills will be available?
Cheers
Steve

Cheers
Steve

Steve, hopefully in approx 1 week - I'm in the hands of the distributor & it's a busy time of year.
By the way, the mod is looking pretty simple (thanks Screwtop), so it won't be adding much to the price for those that want it doing for them - Also thanks to Screwtop I'll be including his larger hopper design with the mill, for those that want to extend it.

cheers Ross

Cheers
Steve

Steve, hopefully in approx 1 week - I'm in the hands of the distributor & it's a busy time of year.
By the way, the mod is looking pretty simple (thanks Screwtop), so it won't be adding much to the price for those that want it doing for them - Also thanks to Screwtop I'll be including his larger hopper design with the mill, for those that want to extend it.

cheers Ross

I used Screwtops hopper design to make a perspex hopper. don't have to look over the side to see how much grain is left. and it's a buzz watching it work :p .

"I used Screwtops hopper design to make a perspex hopper. don't have to look over the side to see how much grain is left. and it's a buzz watching it work :p ."

It's a bloody bewdy. It has an ingenious throttle control device that ensures on the correct RPM is applied from the power source to the rollers. And is is ISO9000 compliant. :D

InCider

Thanks Ross - give me a hoy when you have them. Im buying myself a christmas present.
Bindi - is the perspex actually attached to the small white top container that comes with the mill?
Cheers
Steve

Thanks Ross - give me a hoy when you have them. Im buying myself a christmas present.
Bindi - is the perspex actually attached to the small white top container that comes with the mill?
Cheers
Steve

Steve, my hopper is designed to fit down inside the mill and opens the full width of the rollers to give max grain flow. Think from memory Bindi had his made from the drawing to fit the little plastic hopper supplied with the mill. He will be able to confirm and maybe provide a close up pic. His perspex hopper is beaut, helps to be able to see the grain level when using the drill. He also has an ingenious method of drill speed control, don't know if he's willing to share the info as he may have applied for a patent.

Cheers
Steve

Steve, my hopper is designed to fit down inside the mill and opens the full width of the rollers to give max grain flow. Think from memory Bindi had his made from the drawing to fit the little plastic hopper supplied with the mill. He will be able to confirm and maybe provide a close up pic. His perspex hopper is beaut, helps to be able to see the grain level when using the drill. He also has an ingenious method of drill speed control, don't know if he's willing to share the info as he may have applied for a patent.

Cheers Screwtop.....Bindi any chance of a close up pic of its throat?
Steve

[/quote]

Yes, I made the drawing fit the little plastic hopper supplied with the mill and did not change the mouth of it.
As for the 'secret speed control device' I have posted a photo of said device :p very technical and expensive :D .

Ahh!!! Where the average homebrewer be without the container of cable ties. Couldn't make beer without 'em. :lol:

Warren -

i think half the world is held together with cable ties. I know that 90% of an aircraft is cable ties... lol

Ross do the margas come with a drill bit extension? Whats the modification for?
Cheers
Steve

Ross do the margas come with a drill bit extension? Whats the modification for?
Cheers
Steve

Steve,

The mod is simply an adjustment & making extra settings, to ensure the rollers are set to give you the best possible crush. By doing this for you, the unit will arrive ready for use. The Marga is specifcally designed for milling grain, but the factory settings are preset for home use rather than brewing.
They don't come with a drill bit extension (may look at it though) but it's extremely easy to knock one up, or simply use a screw driver bit of the right size.

This pic should help you see more clearly
Marga.jpg

cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back