Grain Mills

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PistolPatch

Reaction score
Have just done a search on grain mills and nothing definitive comes up. A few of us are stuck on the Gold Coast with no decent supplier of grain at a reasonable price let alone someone who can crush properly. Would anyone be able to advise us on a grain mill that does a very good job? We'd be happy with a hand driven mill but for the sake of future enquirers, any feedback would be appreciated. It would also be of interest to know how long it takes to mill 5kg of grain with whatever you recommend.

(Personally, I'd also love to know where you can buy what you recommend cheaply. The day after every brew purchase I make I find a new post that leads me to somewhere at least 25% cheaper! I'm a little over taking one for the team - lol)

Thanks in advance,
PP

Pat,

Two words, Barley Crusher. Great product and you can simply open the box and crush away. The Crankenstein mills have also a good reputation, but you will have to construct a hopper and base for them, Barley Crusher fully complete. My Barley Crusher cost about $220 delivered from the US. To mill 5kg of grain by hand takes me maybe 10 minutes, but hook the drill up and it's a bit quicker. It's one of my favourite bits of brew gear, apart from my yeast which turns wort into beer every time :p

Cheers.

www.barleycrusher.com

:beer:

Gooday Pat
I have a 3 roller Crankandstein and the grain for your first ag was crushed through it. I live local to Ross and if you get up here your more than welcome to see it in action. Ill pm you my mobile no.
cheers Altstart

hey PP
Eat your heart out ....I bought a barly crusher..or..corona mill..???/
last Sunday at local markets...$20.00.....What a fluke.....
And i dont do AG....yet...
cheers
PJ

PP,

A mill will be my next purchase. I had been pretty keen on the Crankandstein because it is available in Australia.

However, I've borrowed a Barley Crusher and have been using it with my drill. I now think that it'll be worth paying that little bit extra for the BC given that it comes with a nice hopper and base. I might even opt for the jumbo hopper. And the rollers are an inch longer compared to the base 2 roller Crankandstein.

I've also used a smaller mill with a smaller hopper and it took substantially longer, about 30 minutes to run the grain through once compared to less than 5 with the BC.

All the best.

Scott

Dont be too bothered with how quick a mill can crush grain.Personally i enjoy my ag day so crushing grain is a time of thought about the brewday ahead.If i wanted a fast crush i would hook it up to a 124 cube s&s motor.
Anyway back to the question pete.You will get heaps of answers.I have a Barley Crusher.It was available in oz at a good price at the time so i bought one.Im very happy.I was keen on the valley mill with its web page extolling the virtues of a wide roller set up etc until i saw one in the flesh.The area the grain enters would be about 25mm square which in effect does not utilise the width of the rollers like the BC does.Strike that one.
Havent seen the Crankensein but believe them to be a great mill.Chiller (can anyone remember him) posted about a new mill he brought back from the states.Cant remember the name but from memory he reckons they were great.
Some members have made there own and even had some for sale.Maybe still doing it so if they are reading this thread may get in touch with you pete.Sorry cant remember who at the moment.
Maybe get in touch with my old mate Batz as i think he has tried a few different mills and can give you a run down on each mill.
Either way it comes down to cost and personal preference from research.
Best of luck pete

Cheers
Big D

Pat,

Two words. Valley Mill :p
Going like a gem many years after I bought it. Initially hand cranked, then drill operated and now motor driven.
When I bought it there was no Barley Crusher or Crankandstein on the market so the choice was very limited.
If you go with any of those three I'm sure you will have many years of happy milling.

Doc

I was concerned about the length of time my crush was taking when I had the 1kW drill running flat out in the back yard at 5.30 pm disturbing the neighbours for a good 40 minutes.

Scott

:D LET THE GRAIN MILL PREFERENCE WARS BEGIN :p <_<

It seems the one i bought is a Corona type mill....Two swirly type plates.
Brand name is HUSQVARNA....Reliance....?.
Any one tell me what it is..?????? a pin pop lolly container makes a good hopper.....
cheers
PJ

3D Crankenstien

P1010036__Small_.JPG

Nice one Dicko how much time to crush 5 kilo of grain ?

Engineering Blue 'Noice'

Pumpy :)

It still bowls me over how generous people are on AHB. Altstart, I'd be wrapped to see your mill in action and will give you a call later today to find out when suits. The grain that came out of it for my first AG was perfect from what little I know. With a little luck, I'll be able to do another brew or two this weekend after all.

The other information above has, as usual, been really helpful. It also allowed me to find an older thread on Valley Mill versus Barley Crusher. In the older thread, Trough Lolly said he bought a Marga Mill from Grumpy's in 2003 for $90. Would be interesting to hear a little feedback on this cheaper alternative.

The Barley Crusher seems to be getting a good wrap above. Thanks for the detailed info BigD. Could you let me know where you bought it in NSW?

Thanks again,
PP

P.S. I wonder whether people would think I had a drinking problem if I had dicko's mill sitting in my 1 bedroom apartment? :unsure:

whilst we are discussing grain mills and people are talking about what they like and dislike about different mills I would love to know. Yep you guessed it I am also considering having mills made. I have not even started the design phase so please no emails asking for one. But I want to know from mill owners what they like or dislike about their mill.

A BIG hopper would be nice, at least as an option. I have the BC mill with the large hopper and I am often pushing its limits and I am not brewing particularly big or strong batches. I would definitely not have been able to handle the smaller hopper. Something that will comfortably hold 10kg of grain would be handy.

good work brizzybrew!!! there is a market in that for sure. hope they arent too far off.

LET THE GRAIN MILL PREFERENCE WARS BEGIN :D

My vote is for the crankandstein but as stated by many it's the crush not the mill..

Here is a link to a previous thread.
Crankandstein_Choices

I have mine set up the same as Roach's with a water bottle for the 10 kg hopper.
Crankandstein_Pics

Luke

I'm looking to purchase soon, Barley Crusher is winning so far.
Keep us posted BrissyBrew

Poppa, i think I bought my corona mill brand new for about $20.
They tend to tear the husks which can lead to lautering problems, but so far mine's been doing a pretty good job and better than no mill at all.

looking at the 3 roller crank myself, but look on with interest to brissybrews post

Latest posts

Back