Grain Mills

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PP

I think the Grumpy's Marga Mill is now about $160.

Not so attractive at that price.

Jez

I picked up a crankandstein (2 roller) on ebay last year and I have to say its probably the best bit of brewing gear I own. It does a great job. I find the husks are kept intact even with a very fine crush so I have mine set to .7mm which gets me good efficiency and no stuck sparges so far (though I'm sure I have just jinxed myself).

Building the base and hopper was pretty simple even for an incompetent like me.

Cheers
Dave

Pumpy said:
Nice one Dicko how much time to crush 5 kilo of grain ?

Engineering Blue 'Noice'

Pumpy :)
[post="128719"][/post]​

Pumpy,
I have my mill deliberately geared to 120 RPM so as not to cause any husk shreading and at that speed it does 10 kg of grain in approx 4 1/2 mins.
The manufacturer recommends 200 rpm from memory but I am of the opinion that there are lots of minutes in a brew day and I have allways got other things to do while the grain is being milled.
Speed of crushing to me, is not an issue.
BTW the hopper holds 12kg.
Cheers

just saw the italian marga at gaganis for $96

tangent said:
just saw the italian marga at gaganis for $96
[post="128897"][/post]​

Even at that price, the porket at about $60 from Brewmaker at Holden Hill looks attractive to me.

(Do I look Scottish in this post???)

Yes
i think Gaganis have them as well Stu. We'd better do a price check.

I was lucky enough to borrow a Maltmill from my Brothers' workmate. I must admit I have never seen any other mills in the flesh, however I have tried several all grain beers that this guy has brewed, that were an absolute taste sensation. I tasted his pilsener side by side with pilsner urquell - they tasted identical! The ONLY difference that I noted was that the home brewed pilsener held its head longer (everyone I know is sick of me going on about his pilsener). Anyhow, back on topic - the grain mill obviously does the job, looks to be of very high quality (I think the owner has had it for a few years or more now). Here is a link to it: http://schmidling.netfirms.com/maltmill.htm

I am currently looking at buying a grain mill as well, and will probably buy one of these grain mills. I think the rough price of getting one of these mills is around $200 or thereabouts (inc postage). Will let you know how much when I find out.

Cheers :)

I Love my Barley crusher i got from the usa great service ,and i was lucky to have some one pick it up in the usa for me
also too u can order the bc mill with out the hopper and base so i made my hoper out of s/s and found a bit of scrap 2mm galve i used for the base from

But then being a sheety helps
i think my mill cost me less than 140 aud at the time including del to the other side of the usa

Tangent...
could not see this thing i got being $20.00 new.....Dunno what to call it
Stands about 300mm Handle would be the same..With about a 100mm throat...Two swirly plates with an adjustment and lock...Done a test today and it seems to work OK..But i am not into AG at moment..Seems
to work as fast as you pull the handle.....
cheers
PJ

Sounds like a porkert or corona to me PJ :p .

Best mills made the "other" side of the Rio Grande. Best new price I know is about $60, but once Tangent gets bargaining at Gaganis, who knows :D

I have now made some 30 AGs with one of the little blighters. You need to become one with it before it will work properly :blink:

But, once you are as one, it will do the job. And, you get excerise to boot.

Mind you, I am still first in the queue for another Adelaide brewer's BC when he finally upgrades to a Krank. Just don't tell anyone I admitted that.

thanks WEE STU
Brand is HUSQVARNA...WHO CARES ANYWAY... Have a picture of one in a Dave Miller Brewing book....But Porket ...Corona...Whats the diff.????
You being a two Porket fella an all...Seems like it will do all i want...for now..At my age i will need some one to crank it..If i put more than 500gms in...
Cheers
PJ

poppa joe said:
At my age i will need some one to crank it..
[post="128988"][/post]​

I'm old fashioned. I like to crank my own mill.

But, now that I come to think about it........... :rolleyes:

wee stu
You might be OLD FASHIONED......BUT>>>>
ARE U AS OLD AS ME.?????????
I am a week younger than PEARL HARBOUR.....
And 4 yrs younger than my car.......
Cheers
PJ

poppa joe said:
wee stu
You might be OLD FASHIONED......BUT>>>>
ARE U AS OLD AS ME.?????????
I am a week younger than PEARL HARBOUR.....
And 4 yrs younger than my car.......
Cheers
PJ
[post="128997"][/post]​

You are never too old to all grain :D

WEE STU
As a person with a surname beginning with Mc.....The heritage is there .
Never say die...But with the mill and a few other things piecing together bit by bit.......Going down the path to AG....Got enough bits n pieces now to do small batches...Getting the ingredients where i am is the problem....Have a small hardware shop who has just got an in to ESB and ordering from him....Will be giving it a go shortly..
Cheers
PJ

BigD has advised that The Barley Crusher is no longer avail, in NSW so emailed them in U.S.A. Today's delivery times and prices in Australian dollars are as follows:

Barley Crusher with 15 Pound Hopper - Surface Mail (4-6wks) $227.50 or Air Mail (4-10days) $278.50

I asked for 7 pund hopper prices as well but they forgot to supply these prices. Assuming shipping costs are the same, the 7 Pound mill would be $196.20 (surface) and $247.20 (air).

Thanks Jez and others for the info above. When I started this thread I didn't know any of the above brand names or how expensive these things were. I think I'll wait for BrissyBrew to perform some magic.

I went to Allstart's to crush my grain yesterday and he had a 3 mill Crankendstein which was somewhere around $275-$300 from memory. No idea what model this is. Maybe I'll just keep going to his place, drink his top beer and listen to his great stories! (Thanks a heap Allstart :beer:) Unfortunately, due to a freeway pile-up it took an hour and a half to get home.

Thanks again,
PP

Best mills made the "other" side of the Rio Grande.
:D

Now I would have thought a decent roller mill costing ~$300 from the States would be cheaper from somewhere over the Yangtze.

tangent said:
Best mills made the "other" side of the Rio Grande.
:D

Now I would have thought a decent roller mill costing ~$300 from the States would be cheaper from somewhere over the Yangtze.
[post="129052"][/post]​

My porkert is from Brazil.

And my geography is......................... abysmal :(

Any news on the mills Brissybrew?
Cheers
Steve

Hi All,

Was doing a bit of idle browsing and checked on the St Pats site, which had great stuff till they wound up the beer stuff a while back -- I caught the tail end of the closeouts, from a picture of an Aussie HB setup with a St Pats counterflow cooler.

In any event, thought I'd check to see if they had finally sold all of their grain mills. They have. Wish I'd had the money when I first saw them. I think it was pretty good value for $$:

http://www.stpats.com/mills.htm

In any event, that led me to a quick search and I came up with the beauty below -- available in Australia. As I have been a "craft baker" (sourdough) for some time, I have looked at grain mills before and don't remember finding these guys. Also, nothing on AHB based on a search. So, maybe a new player. Not cheap, but you have to admire the bling factor that makes you hope the engineering is as good as the looks.

http://www.schnitzer.com.au/index.htm

Cheers, Brian

pico.jpg

Back