Grain Mills

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$105 seems pretty good value
Has anyone seen them cheaper at the moment?

$95 from Gaganis Brothers, Hindmarsh, Adelaide.

Wow,
they only wanted $70 for them less than a year ago.

i'd rather buy something designed for the job rather than keep upgrading all the time.
I'm delaying my Crankandstein purchase until i see what Brizzybrew's got up his sleeve.

At that price I'm guessing they're sat on old stock - that aside, i'll match the price & throw in a complimentary soft plastic barra lure (17 cm from head to tail) for anyone that requests it, just to hook ya :p
must be xmas already - LOL
Barra_lure.jpg

cheers Ross...

i'd rather buy something designed for the job rather than keep upgrading all the time.
I'm delaying my Crankandstein purchase until i see what Brizzybrew's got up his sleeve.

Tangent,

The Marga is more than up to it & they are fully designed for the job - It may not be the fastest mill in the world, but for the average craft brewer it's ideal. A 3 roller mill for under a $100 it's great value, as those that use one will testify...
I'll be selling Brizzybrew's mill as well & it's promising to be something pretty special - but it won't be under a $100, as it's competing with the top end of the market for those wanting a serious mill.

Cheers Ross

Tangent,

The Marga is more than up to it & they are fully designed for the job - It may not be the fastest mill in the world, but for the average craft brewer it's ideal. A 3 roller mill for under a $100 it's great value, as those that use one will testify...
I'll be selling Brizzybrew's mill as well & it's promising to be something pretty special - but it won't be under a $100, as it's competing with the top end of the market for those wanting a serious mill.

Cheers Ross

Matching $95.00!!! its getting better by the hour....someone else quick find another cheap supplier - just bloody make one up!!! :p :lol:

A couple of quick questions on the marga mill....
Can you attach a drill to these marga mills? or are they hand cranked?
How big is the hopper on them?

A couple of quick questions on the marga mill....
Can you attach a drill to these marga mills? or are they hand cranked?
How big is the hopper on them?

they come with a crank handle but easy to adapt to a drill - The hopper is fairly small, but again, not difficult to extend, i think there are quite a few pics of peoples marga set-ups on AHB if you do a search...

cheers Ross

I have a plan for a sheet metal hopper and sides for the Marga, will hold about 5Kg of grain. Remember the Marga needs modifying for crushing grist. Are you selling them modified like Grumpy's Ross?

Yep, Margie and I started out with a love/hate relationship. Get to know her intimately and she's a joy to use, gives a good crush (albeit a little slow).

I knocked up a corflute hopper with ally strip corners, it holds about 7-8kg of grain in a sitting. Also used some cheap ally sheet and duct tape to cover the bottom open area of the mill.

I don't think Ross really needs to modify them. It's very straighforward to do yourself. I've found the "sweet spot" for crushing (the famous 2.30pm position) and that's where she stays. :)

No doubt there's better mills out there but with a bit of the DIY mentality you'll struggle to find a 3 roller mill at 100 squid.

Fingerlickin B. For the necessary mods see AndrewQld's gallery page. ;)

Warren -

gallery_427_47_1913.jpg

I have a plan for a sheet metal hopper and sides for the Marga, will hold about 5Kg of grain. Remember the Marga needs modifying for crushing grist. Are you selling them modified like Grumpy's Ross?

No I'm not Screwtop & hence not charging $160 for it B) . I thought their mod was just creating a few set points & wasn't required - either way I believe it's not too hard to do & I've seen some articles here on it somewhere.

Edit: Note to self - read other peoples reply's first - thanks Warren :)

cheers Ross

No I'm not Screwtop & hence not charging $160 for it B) .
cheers Ross
Good point Ross, the mods are simple but until you've had one apart it looks like there's just no way into that adjustment knob, a bit stressful after just paying out good money, don't want to wreck it. Most of the mods show how, but miss the important aspect of how to get the bloody thing apart. Once competent I could strip it in about 2 min and found that using feeler guages and adjusting the offset bushes was the most accurate way to set the gap for a given knob position, only had two positions that I ever used. Once set up they are great.

MOST IMPORTANT WHEN USING A MARGA - USE A TWO SPEED ELECTRIC DRILL ON LOW SPEED - AND GO AS SLOW AS YOU CAN FOR THE BEST CRUSH. Am sure other Marga users will agree.

For a drill drive, buy an el-cheapo (Warehouse or the like) screwdriver set with hex bladed screwdrivers. Chop the handle off (not wasting anything cause the crappy plastic handles always break anyway) one that fits snugly in the Marga's drive socket. chuck your drill up to it and your away.
I have a plan for a sheet metal hopper and sides for the Marga, will hold about 5Kg of grain.

Here's the mill, hopper and base.
MargaMill_May_2006_0005.JPG

I've haven't yet modified my Marga - seems usable (slow) as is, but it won't grip the grain by itself. I need to put a bit of finger pressure on the grain to make it go through - so one hand in its little hopper, the other turning the crank. Does it feed ok for everyone else? Will this problem just fix itself when I attach a larger hopper, or am I missing something important like wetting the grain or something.

I paid just over $80 this year, but it was a clearance sale - anyone here pick up the other unit from 'The Essential Ingredient'

Thanks
Glen

MOST IMPORTANT WHEN USING A MARGA - USE A TWO SPEED ELECTRIC DRILL ON LOW SPEED - AND GO AS SLOW AS YOU CAN FOR THE BEST CRUSH. Am sure other Marga users will agree.

That's one sweet looking hopper Screwtop. :)

Disagree with one point though. I got a bit disillusioned using an electric drill. Find life far easier now using my 18v cordless. The gearbox setup of a cordless drill seems to give me more control over the crush without spinning too hard like the electric drill would.

Stays charged "just" long enough to crack my standard 9kg grainbill.

Warren -

I've haven't yet modified my Marga - seems usable (slow) as is, but it won't grip the grain by itself. I need to put a bit of finger pressure on the grain to make it go through - so one hand in its little hopper, the other turning the crank. Does it feed ok for everyone else? Will this problem just fix itself when I attach a larger hopper, or am I missing something important like wetting the grain or something.

I paid just over $80 this year, but it was a clearance sale - anyone here pick up the other unit from 'The Essential Ingredient'

Thanks
Glen

Glen, the lower roller gap is the crush gap, you want the top "Feed Rollers" open wide. Measure the Crush Roller Gap, a bit of a fiddle to get the right Feed Gap and Crush Gap. Usually another hole or two is required in the adjusting knob index plate, back part of the two piece knob.

Cheers

Thanks Screwtop that sounds much more sensible.
I will have a closer look before next crush. It's been sometime, but when I first read about them, I thought someone said to have the third roller idle, else you get flour.

Time to modify...

Thanks
Glen

Hi Guys

At a recent West Coast Brewers meeting club members brought their mills in and we each milled a 100g sample of grain then ran the results through a set of geologists sieves. The results have not been analysed yet but on face value the two marga's brought along showed similar ratios of husks to fines to other mills such as crankensteins, barley crushers etc. I will post the results to the forum when they are available.

Ross,

what a bargain, I am looking into having a go at AG so this does interest me. But as there will be no movement until after Xmas. In the mean time; how much for the barra lure, are they on "Craftbrewer" yet?

daniel

Ross,

what a bargain, I am looking into having a go at AG so this does interest me. But as there will be no movement until after Xmas. In the mean time; how much for the barra lure, are they on "Craftbrewer" yet?

daniel

Daniel,

Not going on the site, but if you want one, just mention in the comments box when you buy something & I'll throw one in for ya...

cheers Ross

Back