Grain Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smertin

Reaction score
Looking at getting a grain mill in the very near future. Got my eye on 2 different setups so far

https://www.ibrew.com.au/products/grain-mill

or

https://www.kegland.com.au/maltmuncher-grain-mill.html / https://www.kegland.com.au/maltmuncher-grain-mill-3-roller.html
https://www.kegland.com.au/maltmuncher-grain-mill-3-roller.html
from what ive been reading it probably isnt worth getting a 3 roller but anyone have any reviews or suggestions on a good purchase?

*EDIT* Forgot to mention if it makes any difference, i have a robobrew and would preferably like to use my drill with the mill but not a necessity.

it does look like a decent mill and the same price as the mill master and hopper combination. Im just a little dubious about buying stuff overseas, if anything goes wrong theres a lot less info online on how to fix the problem and parts are harder to source :S

looking at an original mashmaster (63mm rollers). Anyone have any reviews on these? my budget will be massively stretched if i go for a new 1.

looking at an original mashmaster (63mm rollers). Anyone have any reviews on these? my budget will be massively stretched if i go for a new 1.
Just use the search function for 'Mashmaster'. There are a few threads with plenty of happy users.

ive just been lookign over the thread for the matt mill you linked and I didnt realise i was looking at the australian distributor. is this where to purches from germany https://www.hobbybrauerversand.de?
It's where both WEAL and myself got ours from. Mine delivered within Germany and WEAL's delivered here. The Mattmill Kompakt is still not cheap, but the Mattmill student is cheaper and has pretty good reviews in Germany (but it's not adjustable like the mashmaster or Mattmill Kompakt).

ive just sent them an email to see if they can still ship over here and also as WEAL said take off the VAT. Im in 2 minds about which to get though and also where to send it. i sell car parts as a profession and import parts from Germany a fair bit, maybe get them shipped to my supplier add it intoa air/sea freight to average out the costs, but then maybe i will have to pay the VAT. Will do some more investigation tomorrow :)

ive just sent them an email to see if they can still ship over here and also as WEAL said take off the VAT. Im in 2 minds about which to get though and also where to send it. i sell car parts as a profession and import parts from Germany a fair bit, maybe get them shipped to my supplier add it intoa air/sea freight to average out the costs, but then maybe i will have to pay the VAT. Will do some more investigation tomorrow :)
Retailers in most countries will knock off the VAT, can't say the same for the UK, paperwork either to hard or they are bone idle. I also bought my Braumeister from a German retailer he knocked of the tax and posted it to me for 80 euro went through customs without attracting any attention so I never even had to pay the GST either. Probably a good idea to combine your business shipment and a mill at least you will be able to claim shipping costs.

Retailers in most countries will knock off the VAT, can't say the same for the UK, paperwork either to hard or they are bone idle. I also bought my Braumeister from a German retailer he knocked of the tax and posted it to me for 80 euro went through customs without attracting any attention so I never even had to pay the GST either. Probably a good idea to combine your business shipment and a mill at least you will be able to claim shipping costs.
Ive just looked into it and its a bit too much faffing around to get it sent to my supplier then add to an order. Will probably end up costing just as much with an added headache! Looking like ordering direct from them is gonna be a go! Enquired about the metal hopper they have for it also which is only 33 euro, hopefully it can be flat packed and wont add on too much freight but dont fancy my chances (soda bottle will do the job no probs if not)

Ive just looked into it and its a bit too much faffing around to get it sent to my supplier then add to an order. Will probably end up costing just as much with an added headache! Looking like ordering direct from them is gonna be a go! Enquired about the metal hopper they have for it also which is only 33 euro, hopefully it can be flat packed and wont add on too much freight but dont fancy my chances (soda bottle will do the job no probs if not)

Smertin which grain mill did you end up going with?

I'm still tossing up between the Matt Mill and Millmaster. Interested in feedback on both mills. Looking to purchase this week.

Smertin which grain mill did you end up going with?

I'm still tossing up between the Matt Mill and Millmaster. Interested in feedback on both mills. Looking to purchase this week.
I ended up going with the matt mill, does the job perfectly. Had a few issues but nothing major, took around 3 weeks to get as it was stcuk with DHL with no update on the shipment nor any replies from them but eventually turned up in melbourne. Also when it arrived there is a bolt in the hole where the crank handle goes for some reason and they have overtightened at the factory. Took forever to try get the thing out and eventually ended up snapping, have the thread stuck in there until i can get it drilled out now. Lucky enough the crank handle fits in the bearing on the other side and i just had to switch the base plate around. Done 2 lots of grain through it now for my robobrew on factory setting and got 75% eff 1st tike and looking like 80% from yesterdays. Goes through roughly 5kg in 10 mins with a pretty relaxed turning of the handle. Best thing about it is its so compact it can be stored and can be fit to any table, nice bit of cusioning under the base plate so it doesnt ruin the furniture.

I ended up going with the matt mill, does the job perfectly. Had a few issues but nothing major, took around 3 weeks to get as it was stcuk with DHL with no update on the shipment nor any replies from them but eventually turned up in melbourne. Also when it arrived there is a bolt in the hole where the crank handle goes for some reason and they have overtightened at the factory. Took forever to try get the thing out and eventually ended up snapping, have the thread stuck in there until i can get it drilled out now. Lucky enough the crank handle fits in the bearing on the other side and i just had to switch the base plate around. Done 2 lots of grain through it now for my robobrew on factory setting and got 75% eff 1st tike and looking like 80% from yesterdays. Goes through roughly 5kg in 10 mins with a pretty relaxed turning of the handle. Best thing about it is its so compact it can be stored and can be fit to any table, nice bit of cusioning under the base plate so it doesnt ruin the furniture.

Cheers for the feedback. I'll send Braufox an email. I tried the german company, but they have told me they don't ship to Australia.

Latest posts

Back