Grafton Show Home Brewing Competition 2015

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
Yes it was a shame that 2 F^%$wits causing a brawl at a different pub wrecked the night for everyone. :angry:

Yes it was a forced shutdown by the boys in blue. They didnt want the trouble spreading by angry drunks moving to other venues

Taxi drivers where not happy either as it pretty much killed their nights takings by 10:00pm

We where having a fat old time back at the pub

Good to see the guys from QLD.

We will have to do it all over again next year

Some nice entries, but all the Kit ( unmodified ) ones where very, very ordinary

Some of the all grain dark beers where nice, and the Stouts :D

Was good to see some of the visitors put there hand up as scribes for the judges :beerbang:

Was a very good day :D and night all up.
In my defense, if I may be permitted to say, he started it. I did everything possible to calm the situation but he just wanted to punch on so I had to put him on his arse. I was released without charge after the cops got all the witness statements - he went into the divvy van.

and i'll now add after that underlined crap
as a first time participant and the comp I thought it all run fairly smoothly.
please excuse spelling as it it is ris
a big thanks /cheers for MATT as I think it was a fairly bit logistical job well done.
and not to forget jack for his tireless work there too
WELL DONE
thanks

A thousand pardons for tardy follow up, behalf of the northern contingent, many thanks Grafton for having us over the weekend. TBH after an interstate predawn start, lunchtime fortification at Roche's then and thirty something beers across our judging table, my eyes were struggling to focus, so the early close to proceedings just wasn't a biggie as some were plum tuckered out. Was fantastic to meet all the locals and put faces to names though, share a few ideas and a few laughs, a truly unforgettable ANZAC weekend.

Congratulations to all the homebrew competition entrants and winners but also a big shout out to Matt and his committee, all the volunteers involved, plus judges and fellow scribes. The comp is going from strength to strength, I'm looking forward to participating next year if they are kind enough to let us back over the border.

Has anyone seen me wandering around in Grafton? If so please return me to Old Bar via Taree.

Great weekend and very well organised comp. Thanks especially to Brew Matt and the lads and lasses of the Show Society etc who put in a huge effort.

Great to see the crew again and the increasing number of beards on display.

Top night lads, and the pubs being closed was secretly a good thing, although I did end up with my brother and his mates swigging Captain Morgans until early hours.

The pubs were closed early due to a fight at another pub as mentioned, and I've been told by people there it was HECTIC.

Kudos Matt & Jack, and big thanks to the travellers who come to our merry little city.

Hi All,

Last year I thought I would leave the results until the show closed to encourage people to visit. Well that didn't work too well as someone else just posted the results instead, and of course not everyone is able to get to the show due to geography & work commitments etc.

Thanks to the many people who entered, attended the tasting, volunteered to assist at the tasting, and those that have made favourable comments & suggestions for the next one.

Also a very hearty thanks to the supporters (sponsors) of the event - and also the judges who took plenty of time to evaluate each of the beers.

So here they are....

Pale Coloured Beer Style From A Kit
1st Andrew Morris 2nd Andrew Morris
Pale Coloured Beer Style Modified From A Kit/Own Recipe
1st Dale Arrowsmith 2nd Michael Watson
Pale Coloured Beer Style All Grain (Brewed From Scratch)
1st Ken Bodycote/Tony Marks 2nd Ken Bodycote
Dark Coloured Beer Style From A Kit
1st Andrew Morris 2nd Jack Lumley
Dark Coloured Beer Style Modified From A Kit/Own Recipe
1st Lincoln Nettleton 2nd Shaun Kelly
Dark Coloured Beer Style All Grain (Brewed From Scratch)
1st John Hayman 2nd Daniel Taverner
Stout Modified From A Kit/Own Recipe
1st Brian Metcalfe 2nd Dale Arrowsmith

** Champion Exhibit **
Ken Bodycote

The results above are the first & second placings only and are what the newspaper will publish. Ribbons with an official card will be issued for those above to support their 'bragging rights'.

Officially there are no third placings, with these being given a highly commended acknowledgement. Other entries that were of a high standard for their class that may have marginally missed the top positions, will also be given a high commendation.

OMG! Thanks for posting that Matt!

I can hardly believe I went so well, with so much hype for this competition I expected nothing. Well done Ken.

Can someone buy the newspaper for me please?

Congrats to all who won/placed and all entrants
The beers we tasted on the night were very good and there was some very good competition displayed :)
I picked up some great advice from some of the judges which was very greatly appreciated
Thanks again to Matt, Fiona, all volunteers, the scribes and the judges for all their hard work
Hopefully I'll still be in the area to attend next years judging

Good on ya Tripper. Which one are you? I also will be needing multiple copies of the Grafton paper when results are published.

Good on you too Spork - and what's this next year bullshite - you've got plenty of notice to plan a road trip.

Hi Lincoln, you will find me as the winner of Pale Coloured Beer Style Modified From A Kit/Own Recipe :)
Congratulations on your win aswell!

Thanks to all who helped organise and run the competition. I hope to be there to defend next year.

Congrats to all winners and I'd echo what Spork says about the beers on the day. I was at the modified kits table and a bit apprehensive, but apart from a few obvious kit twang and temperature issues they were all drinkable and many of them pleasantly so.

Likewise picked up a few good hints from the commercial brewers there.

Great to see the local talent on the rise, as I'd guess that many of the kits and bits were from in-town brewers. :beerbang:

ed: So Tripper, your's would have been the one that scored in the 40s.. could hardly fault it as a nice drop.

Thats Awesome .. A win at Beerfest (VIC) with Champion beer and now a win for the Dark Coloured Beer Style All Grain (Brewed From Scratch).. I so gotta brew this again. Thanks heaps fellas... Do we get to find out the scores and comments etc from the judges??

Grainer

Any news on the mead categories etc??? curious if my braggot placed at all... it was a gamble.. in amongst pure meads..

Well done everyone, looks like I'll have to lift my game!

But still happy with a 2nd in the Mod Kit Pale.

And yes, thanks again to Matt and Jack and all the judges.

Glad you liked it Bribie G. Does Amarillo Overload ring any bells?

Well done Grainer and MikeHell. I am also keen to see how the Mead category turned out.

Congratulations to all who competed and placed in all sections.

To say I was happy with the results would an understatement.
I feels quite humbled by the results.

Thanks Matt ,Jack and all the judges

ken

Grainer said:
Any news on the mead categories etc??? curious if my braggot placed at all... it was a gamble.. in amongst pure meads..
There was lots of head scratching from the judges on the mead front...none of them really knew how to approach them. So we left them to it and went to the pub...where the judges eventually found us :D

Latest posts

Back