Grafton Show Home Brewing Competition 2015

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL.. yes I am sure they really struggled with mine.. It was not a straight mead but Stout Braggot which is a class of Mead but still not a traditional mead lol..any ideas of when results will be posted? you never know your luck for this wildcard entry!

Thanks to everyone involved.

I'm the 1st in the Pale Coloured Beer Style All Grain (Brewed From Scratch).

First time I've ever been in a comp. Quite a shock I can tell you.

Thanks again all.

Tony

Congratulations to the winners & it was great to finally put faces to user names.
A big shout out to Matt for all the organization, Jack as well & all the sponsors.
My carbonation level let me down with my entries as I bottled from the keg so bottle carbonation from now on.
One comment made on one of my entries was fermented too high by Todd, ex Seven Sheds Brewery. He picked it at 23-24deg ferment but in actual fact it was fermented at 18deg with a 0.3deg tolerance so lost a point there. I heard him say he likes fizzy beer, 5g/lt of sugar puts you in the ball park.
The spirit's were a hit at the tasting table & I wish I didn't have to drive back home so early as I missed the BBQ as well.
I better plan a bit better next year.

Wowee Boy o Boy, first time in the bigs and a win.
That's me in the stout section. Honestly thought the Farmhouse I entered in the Pale was the better brew.

Thanks for everybody who made the comp possible.

:chug: :super: :beerbang:

Can you please tell us or where can we find the results in the other Home Brew classes?

How was the show and Brew Comp stand?? Any pictures?

Dear Matt, Happy Friday.

Any chance you could post my ribbon and certificate? I'm happy to pay for postage of course.

Also, any results from the mead class available? I had one in there.

Thanks.

Lincoln

I tried to PM you but I think your inbox is full.

Lincoln2 said:
Dear Matt, Happy Friday.

Any chance you could post my ribbon and certificate? I'm happy to pay for postage of course.

Also, any results from the mead class available? I had one in there.

Thanks.

Lincoln

I tried to PM you but I think your inbox is full.
Definitely, will PM you shortly.... and clean out my inbox!

[SIZE=medium]The 2015 Grafton Home Brewing Competition has concluded once again, with the display in the main pavilion at the Grafton Agricultural Show showcasing all of the entries received, and being well attended despite the sometimes very wet weather experienced.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A special thanks to those breweries & businesses that supported this event in 2015, and helped to make this competition better than previous years.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Thanks also to those that made this an enjoyable & worthwhile event - to the people that entered the competition, as well as those entrants that made the trip to Grafton to attend the judging…. and of course those that assisted at the judging in some capacity.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The positive feedback & suggestions for future events has been strong & greatly appreciated.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The judging for the beers in classes 1 - 8 was headed by 6 judges working in pairs, the majority being professional brewers with considerable brewing experience. This meant that every beer was evaluated a minimum of two times, and when required, again by different judges.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The overall standard of the beers entered was high, as was the evident passion & enthusiasm of the judges, who took their time while evaluating each beer.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]For those that entered, further results will be posted in the near future. Those that placed will receive a ribbon &/or card in the mail (providing you haven’t already received this).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Please go out of your way to support those that so generously have supported this event![/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Hi all, [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The concise results have already been published, but here are the [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]2015 Results covering all classes, and including high commendations. Congratulations![/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Pale Coloured Beer Style From A Kit[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1st Andrew Morris[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2nd Andrew Morris[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]HC (Highly Commended) Campbell Kenneally[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]HC Jack Lumley[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Pale Coloured Beer Style Modified From A Kit/Own Recipe[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1st Dale Arrowsmith[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2nd Michael Watson[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]HC Lyall Lees[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]HC Ramon Wilson[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Pale Coloured Beer Style All Grain (Brewed From Scratch)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1st Ken Bodycote[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1st Tony Marks[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2nd Ken Bodycote[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]HC Tony Marks[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]HC Brian Pinard[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]HC Brian Pinard[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]HC Shane Kelly[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]HC Rick Frkovic[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]HC Rick Frkovic[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]HC Michael Gardner[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Dark Coloured Beer Style From A Kit[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1st Andrew Morris[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2nd Jack Lumley[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]HC Alan Rediger[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Dark Coloured Beer Style Modified From A Kit/Own Recipe[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1st Lincoln Nettleton[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2nd Shaun Kelly[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Dark Coloured Beer Style All Grain (Brewed From Scratch)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1st John Hayman[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2nd Daniel Taverner[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]HC Shane Kelly[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]HC Michael Gardner[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Stout Modified From A Kit/Own Recipe[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1St Brian Metcalfe[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2nd Dale Arrowsmith[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]HC Ramon Wilson[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Champion Exhibit (from the above classes)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Ken Bodycote[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Mead[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]HC Dale Arrowsmith[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]HC John Hayman[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]HC Lincoln Nettleton[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Ginger Beer[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]HC Jack Lumley[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Tia Maria Style Liqueur[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1st Simon Ashbrooke[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2nd Jack Lumley[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Baileys Style Liqueur[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1st Jack Lumley[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2nd Simon Ashbrooke[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Whisky[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1st Noel Stokes[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2nd Daniel Taverner[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Liqueurs[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1st Simon Ashbrooke[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Champion Exhibit (from Liqueur/spirits classes)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Jack Lumley[/SIZE]

Jakers, how did Spork's metho get a mention?

Very happy with a HC in the mead class though. And old Jack better watch out next year because I'm closing in on the best ginger beer of all time. ALL TIME!

Ran into Matt today, at Roches, whilst I was drinking Vintage..

Due the the sheer quantities number of those from QLD.......an invite may have been sent by carrier pigeon from a club in QLD for some sort of something comp

Lincoln2 said:

Very happy with a HC in the mead class though. And old Jack better watch out next year because I'm closing in on the best ginger beer of all time. ALL TIME!
:p
there may have been only 2 whisk(e)ys...
It's getting rerun with some more low wines this weekend, shooting for an 8-10 hour run instead of the 3 hour run I did last time

I don't know what your talking about Linc, that Whiskey of Sporks was the best auto parts cleaner I've ever tasted. EVER!!!

I think this guy has had to much of his Whiskey.

Dan.jpg

shaunous said:
I think this guy has had to much of his Whiskey.

attachicon.gif
Dan.jpg
Hey, I got people's choice award with that costume!
Also almost came to blows with some smartarse at the Coast Hotel when I was out downing beers afterwards...
The amount of very busty cosplaying ladies wanting a hug and a photo was nice though ;)

Oh man, I first thought that was a random image you came across on one of the lower levels of the internet - but it really is Spork.

I have the wierdest boner right now.

If you boys ever get up to Kyogle, I'll have to show you my "wash"ing machine. I may be able to use a bloke who is handy in the metal trades.

Lincoln2 said:
I have the wierdest boner right now.
I think this is why so many old blokes wanted to fight me at the pub that afternoon, all the confused boners were making them angry

Lincoln2 said:

Care to share a recipe Lincoln? I'm still struggling to find a decent recipe - lots of threads with "I'm trying this" but no many with confirmed good recipes!

Diggs said:
Care to share a recipe Lincoln? I'm still struggling to find a decent recipe - lots of threads with "I'm trying this" but no many with confirmed good recipes!
Hi Diggs, I also had a mead entered in this comp, that was also deemed to be good as well lol. The recipe for mine was 370g/L with SN9 yeast
I also have a dry mead that was put down at the same time (26-10-14) that is 300g/L with SN9 which is starting to come good finally. I will admit I am no expert but they are pretty yummy.

Latest posts

Back