Grafton Brewing Competition 2016

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no bottle cap ID Required?

I put one on anyway and I assume the one entry form is ok with the 2 bottles or should I have written it out twice?

Cheers

Yob said:
no bottle cap ID Required?

I put one on anyway and I assume the one entry form is ok with the 2 bottles or should I have written it out twice?

Cheers
The one entry form can be used for as many entries as you have (until it is full). No bottle cap ID is required, though some use this. As long as the bottle can be identified when it arrives in Grafton. An id sticker is then applied on this end.

(1 entry should comprise of 2 bottles, 2 entries should comprise of 4 bottles, and so on).

Just a note that ALL bottles to be judged must have nothing on them to identify the entrant. They are all basically " Brown paper bag" entries

I am not sure if this year they will be having a label competition for display beers

In accordance with a previous post I've sent in two entries. Each entry consists of a plain bottle (with a plain identifying label sticky taped to the bottle) and a bottle with an arty label. I take it the arty bottle is for bragging rights if the plain bottle gets a place?
Posted today.

ed: Matt, if any wannabe judges have also entered bottles, you'll obviously want to keep a running score on which judges are prohibited from judging which classes, should we just pm you?

You'll have to pull the label off one of mine then, hope you get to enjoy the other, I've put in my barrel aged RIS.

Are score sheets Sent out from this comp?

It is hoped that scoring sheets get returned for people choice

We had a few "issues" the last few years, especially with the " Peoples Choice Award" with the score sheets getting lost, misplaced and sometimes forgotten about after about the 300th beer

NOTE :- This was not the case for the offical Judging...

But as the event gets bigger, and only a few people organising, it does get a bit harder every year to return several thousand score sheets

If you ever get the chance to attend, you will be able to experience why this happens :D

Yob said:
You'll have to pull the label off one of mine then, hope you get to enjoy the other, I've put in my barrel aged RIS.

It will get the Hipster VB Longneck treatment :lol:

Roches are once again a supporter of the Grafton Brewing Competition, and the venue is 'a great place to catch up'. www.roches.com.au

We have heard there are bottles already in transit, on their way to Grafton for the competition!

roches.jpg

Spoke to Mick, the new owner of Roches today, told him to come down for the comp judging

I have a strange feeling that he might get some ideas for something...... :)

Yob said:

Yes, score sheets will be sent out by email after the event. Hoping to have this done within approximately 1 month.

No problems with removing one of the labels if required - better to have too many labels than not enough.

While there is nothing officially in place for labels to be judged, there is no reason why any outstanding original designs cannot be given an award.

For those wondering, the 'Peoples Choice' is an activity that has sometimes been done by those in attendance - this is more for fun than anything else, and is separate to the official judging that is carried out.

Grafton Brewing Competition .png

Bribie G said:
In accordance with a previous post I've sent in two entries. Each entry consists of a plain bottle (with a plain identifying label sticky taped to the bottle) and a bottle with an arty label. I take it the arty bottle is for bragging rights if the plain bottle gets a place?
Posted today.

ed: Matt, if any wannabe judges have also entered bottles, you'll obviously want to keep a running score on which judges are prohibited from judging which classes, should we just pm you?
Yes, even though the beers being judged will not be identifiable whilst being judged, flights will be organised so that a judge does not get to evaluate his/her own beers (if they have any in the competition).

The arty bottle can look good on the display at the Grafton Show afterwards, and can serve as a backup bottle should something go wrong with the first.

Just wanted to point out that Matt has been doing an amazing job of getting sponsors, judges and entries organised

We, as the brewing community, should thank him for the time and effort he has put in for the past few years in raising the profile for home brewers

He is dedicated to making this event a " Must Do" on the brewing calendar of events annually

Without Matt, no one would be reading about this, or participating

There are no prizes ( Ok, you get a ribbon :) ), except the knowledge that as an entrant, your beer will be judged fairly and equally.

.....and as a visitor, you get to sample some awsome beers beers brewed by you guys :super:

Ducatiboy stu said:
Just wanted to point out that Matt has been doing an amazing job of getting sponsors, judges and entries organised

We, as the brewing community, should thank him for the time and effort he has put in for the past few years in raising the profile for home brewers

He is dedicated to making this event a " Must Do" on the brewing calendar of events annually

Without Matt, no one would be reading about this, or participating

There are no prizes ( Ok, you get a ribbon :) ), except the knowledge that as an entrant, your beer will be judged fairly and equally.

.....and as a visitor, you get to sample some awsome beers beers brewed by you guys :super:
Thanks Stu!

May need a few more judges yet (depending on how many entries come in).

Hear hear Stu, Matt's unceasing enthusiasm and dedication is unheralded, with enormous efforts behind the scenes so 2016 Grafton Brewing Competition is shaping up to be a worthwile and memorable event, while participants won't be disappointed.

We were hopping with joy (pun intended), when an article recently appeared in the Clarence Valley Independent newspaper with information on the Grafton Brewing Competition.

Thanks guys for the write up!

12909506_1758195421065635_4573177267051511851_o.jpg

Yup Matt has almost single handedly taken the comp from the lamingtons and pumpkin scones era (not knocking our admirable Show Societies, of course but you know what I mean) to what in the future will almost certainly become a major "feeder" for State and National comps.

Stu, would you be able to find out if Pete, RdeV and I could book in, leave car at Roches and bags in one of the rooms at say 11 am before we head up to the Showgrounds?
Obviously we won't be able to drive after judging and I'd rather not leave bags in car.
Not to mention turning up at Roches later in the day
"hey there's three pissed farts wanting to book in..."
"tellem to go to buggery...."

Thanks to Coopers Brewery for being a supporter of the Grafton Brewing Competition. Check out: www.coopers.com.au

And if you know of others that love brewing, spread the word about the 2016 Grafton Brewing Competition! But they will need to be quick - entries close 1st April 2016....

Coopers-sign.png

can i ask why you have these sponsors but no prizes? what do the sponsors do for the competition? i am personally not entering but see all these advertising signs pop up on the thread - how big are the ribbons? hehe

Latest posts

Back