Good magazine subscription

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooper80

Reaction score
G'day people's. I'm just chasing a good all grain magazine to subscribe to. Any ideas?

I subscribe to the electronic versions of Brew Your Own and Zymurgy (both US) - bonus is the access to a fair number fo back issues. The is one for Australia (Beer and Brewer from memory) that you can get from Dan's, but the few I've read didn't encourage further purchases

Be warned. Beer and Brewer magazine I find to be more of a commercial market magazine despite having its own Homebrew section. They also try to sweep you across on a 3 year subscription with a bonus 2 slabs of terrible beer.

BYO, all the way. I found their digital subscription interface to be completely miserable though, nearly unusable. That was a couple years ago though, so they may have raised their game. Zymurgy is the magazine of the American Homebrewers Association and is great. I'd much rather support a quality Aussie mag, but I haven't yet found one that suits.

I've thought of byo mag but I hate converting all the American temps and weights etc. pita. Be a good read otherwise I reckon. I like beer and brewer and I got some good beer for subscribing can't remember what it was but it was a good deal. I prefer podcasts to mags.

I subscribe to Beer and Brewer- it's ok, but I liked it better when the homebrew section was separate. If you are going to use any recipes from it, make sure you run them through some brewing software first to confirm them. Their editing has been terrible in the past, and simple things have been missed, like giving the amount of grain for a 40L batch, when they stated it was for 23L......

I do like when it turns up every quarter though- it's an interesting read for a couple of days.
Cheers,
RB

I had a local newsagent get the Beer and Brewer magazine in for me although I stopped this some time back as it didn't hold my interest any longer.
I can't get BYO off the shelf here but I prefer it over the Aussie offering.
BYO to me is more focused toward the home brewer so better value and way more interesting ,if you are more interested in the commercial brewing scene subscribe to The Shout online, or The Crafy Pint which is craft brewing orientated and a bloody good read.

Kingy said:
I've thought of byo mag but I hate converting all the American temps and weights etc. pita. Be a good read otherwise I reckon. I like beer and brewer and I got some good beer for subscribing can't remember what it was but it was a good deal. I prefer podcasts to mags.
All the BYO's I have - the last 2 years - have metric conversions in all their recipes, both kg's and degrees C. So no issue with converting. Maybe the older issues didn't have this?

BYO is definitely worth having, never found an issue where there hasn't been a few relevant articles. Just joined AHA to get the Zymurgy subscription (and access to recipes/back issues). Looked at a few issues online so far, good articles and online interface is easy to use.

I like Beer & Brewer for the local info and don't mind the commercial aspect (having worked in the industry, out now but still interesting to see what's happening). For homebrewing though it's BYO & Zymurgy.

BTW BYO is currently having a 20% off sale until 22nd September. So may be able to get subscription cheaper. View Cart once you've ordered and use "20for20" as the coupon code.

Kingy said:
BYO converts all recipes to metric - at least in the digital version.

Drick said:
I've never read the mag, but the praise from readers above has me sold.
Eight issues (1 year) of BYO delivered to Australia for under $50 USD seems like an ok price.

http://www.acclaimsubscriptions.com/australia/magazines/brew-your-own.php
Another option is to join Melbourne Brewers (which I did recently) - $55 for the year, they meet in Ferntree Gully so not far from you, and membership comes with a subscription to BYO (issues can be picked up at club meetings). Chwck out melbournebrewers.org

Either way you get a great magazine, but think I've learned more from casual discussions at the last few meetings than in months of reading :)

Mardoo said:
BYO, all the way. I found their digital subscription interface to be completely miserable though, nearly unusable.
This^^

BYO is great but the online version sux balls.

I currently get it delivered.

Back