Good Brew Pub In Sydney

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnh2atl

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a home brewer in the States and I'm heading to Sydney tonight (I get there on Tuesday morning). I was there a week or two ago and ate at the Belgian Beer Bar or something close to that. The food was ok and the beer was good but really expensive. I was hoping for a little local input on places with good beer. I stay at the Four Seasons (because I don't pay for the room) and will not have a car. Thanks,

Nick

reformationbrewery.com

Hello, I'm a home brewer in the States and I'm heading to Sydney tonight (I get there on Tuesday morning). I was there a week or two ago and ate at the Belgian Beer Bar or something close to that. The food was ok and the beer was good but really expensive. I was hoping for a little local input on places with good beer. I stay at the Four Seasons (because I don't pay for the room) and will not have a car. Thanks,

Nick

reformationbrewery.com
This should get you started:
BREWPUBS
Redoak brewery - Clarence St (between Market & King sts.)
James Squire brewpub - King St Wharf
Macquarie Hotel - Cnr Goulburn & Wentworth sts (dunno if the restaurant's still open)

THE PUBS
The Australian Hotel - Cumberland St the Rocks
Bavarian Bier Cafe - York St (nr king st)
Lowenbrau Keller - Argyle st, The Rocks.
The Pumphouse - Darling harbour - opposite the Entertainment Centre.

p.s. Heading to the Macquarie Hotel for lunch on Tuesday with a workmate to try out Doc's Secret Squirrel. If you're free, drop in 12:30 at the back bar & say hi

I would suggest walking to the Red Oak on Clarence St. Its about a 10-15min walk. But well worth it. Good beer and food.

Lord Nelson Brewery Hotel
www.lordnelsonbrewery.com

19 Kent St
The Rocks NSW 2000
(02) 9251 4044

I'm heading to Sydney next week and definitely plan to visit James Squire brew pub and Redoak based on what I've heard about them :)

Best place to drink in Sydney IMO. :party:

You must be cashed up Stu.

Paddy's Brewery @ the Markets Hotel gets ignored like an adopted red-headed cousin at a family re-union :unsure: .
The beers are in great shape & you get 2 schooners & change from a $10 note, try that in Darlinghurst!
Cheers
Gerard

You must be cashed up Stu.

Paddy's Brewery @ the Markets Hotel gets ignored like an adopted red-headed cousin at a family re-union :unsure: .
The beers are in great shape & you get 2 schooners & change from a $10 note, try that in Darlinghurst!
Cheers
Gerard

Oops. :( Not so cashed up, but do enjoy a beer there. Have been meaning to come out to Paddy's. Will get the chance soon. :chug:

Thanks for all the input. We made if to Red Oak and Lord Nelson is next. The beer was good but it is a bit pricey. We ate at the fish market for lunch then the jet lag caught up and had to call it an early night. Sydney is a great city and I enjoyed my day there. I hope to get back in Oct.

I'm heading to Sydney next week and definitely plan to visit James Squire brew pub and Redoak based on what I've heard about them :)

While the beers might be nice the place itself can be a bit of a "bogan piss sinking barn" on the weekends if you know what I mean. If you're looking for somewhere on a friday/sat night, id recommend the other options in this thread ;)

EDIT: Talking about the JS Brew pub on King st warf. Definitely not redoak.

As listed above, the Macquarie Hotel, Wentworth Ave, Surry Hills, is a great value brewpub. Schooners about $5, except $3 between 5pm-8pm M-F!!! Good value Thai food as well (but steer clear of their "Western" dishes). We often go there for the bands Wed-Sat nights - usually a decent local band playing blues/funk/soul etc.

Cheers
Gerard

Mate, do you think so LOL ! :D (note for our American friend, Gerard is the brewer at the pub he just mentioned).

The issue for someone travelling to Sydney is that there really isn't much else to do in the Flemington area. It's OK for me though because i live up the road a few k's.

By the way, your Seasonal Porter is fantastic, had a few last Sunday.

For city brewpubs, Redoak is superb. Sure it's not strictly a brewpub, I think they brew many of their beers offsite (but still brewed by Redoak, not BUL) but it's still an essential stop if youre in town.

Macquarie Hotel is also great these days. I wasn't fussed on their beers until recently, when they seem to have stepped up their game. And Doc's Choc Hazlenut Porter is very interesting, and I would say 'great' for what it attempts to achieve - but does anyone else find it hard to have more than one schooner though ? Damn it's sch-weeeeeet.

Latest posts

Back