Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating using the link above.

Top 1 near Sydney

Discussion in 'Beer, Pub & Brewery Reviews' started by heas@shrubbery.net, 16/5/18.

1. heas@shrubbery.net

Posted 16/5/18
    Hello. I'm in Sydney for work until the 23rd of May...assuming nothing becomes buggered.

I'd appreciate your top brewery to seek while I'm here. I have a rental car and I'm willing to drive a bit - especially if it includes a nice hike. I knew to find Little Creatures, and they do not disappoint. A customer at the local bottle shop recommended Stone Wood - and wow, its fantastic and I'd have finished the 6 tonight if I were not so jetlagged (I feel as if I had) - as good as the best Pale Ale from home (Oregon) and possibly better. She also recommended Coopers' Pale, which surprised me, but I could only carry so much at once.

Prost

PS. I see that Mash Master is a sponsor. I bought a MM mill years ago because it was all stainless - the shipping cost was outrageous - but what a fantastic mill!

2. mattfos01

Home Page:
    Posted 16/5/18
    Pop out to Marrickville and visit Batch brewery, The Griffter, Wildflower, Sauce and Willie the Boatman. Wayward is in Camperdown and Akasha is only a relatively short drive away in Five Dock.

Those options are all close to the city, plus the northern beaches options in Modus operandi and Nomad. Enjoy

3. hairydog

electrical/instrument trades
    Posted 16/5/18
    If your around the southside of Sydney, the Sutherland Shire drop into Hairyman Brewery at Taren Point and Shark Island Brewery at Kirrawee.

4. heas@shrubbery.net

Posted 17/5/18
    Thanks!

Out of curiosity; the nutritional facts on the Little Creatures container claims 10g Sodium per serving (bottle). That seems like a lot. I presume this is from the water source, brackish? Is this common for municipal water supplies in parts of AU? The water from the faucet at the hotel in Sydney seems a little salty - soft, not crisp.

Does all that sodium not make brewing difficult?

My home water source is a well, with very little Na but 180 moles of Ca, and the municipal water is mostly runoff from the mountains with little of anything.

5. Tony121

Posted 17/5/18
    Lord Nelson
    Hart’s Pub
    Endeavour

All at the Rocks, stumble home