Goldings Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattcarty

Reaction score
Hey

I have about 50g of Goldings hops to use and want a recipe to put them in. a mate suggested i do an english ale hower i am about to put on a Kilkenny clone so wouldnt mind something a little different.

anyone tried a good recipe using goldings lately they would like to share english ale or other.

want to keep it pretty basic kits and bits style.

cheers
carty

I used East Kent in a Belgian Pale ale recently.
Can't say how it turned out as it was bottled a week ago.
I have stuck a bottle in the fridge to see what i tastes like.
I haven't used Goldings before

Hey

I have about 50g of Goldings hops to use and want a recipe to put them in. a mate suggested i do an english ale hower i am about to put on a Kilkenny clone so wouldnt mind something a little different.

anyone tried a good recipe using goldings lately they would like to share english ale or other.

want to keep it pretty basic kits and bits style.

cheers
carty

How different? Is a stout too close?

Stout would be my next sugegstion and you can make it pretty different from your kilkenny. I see you have a milk stout planned so it could be appropriate for that.

How different? Is a stout too close?

Stout would be my next sugegstion and you can make it pretty different from your kilkenny. I see you have a milk stout planned so it could be appropriate for that.

yeh a milk stout is on the cards, that would be awesome, any suggestions on yeast? or any particular stout kit i usually got the coopers stout and its suited me well in the past but am open to suggestions.

cheers
carty

I'm about to put one down - kind of a cross between milk and imperial I guess.

The Thomas Coopers heritage Irish is a great stout kit. As for yeast - I'd just use a good dried ale yeast as yeast character isn't that important in a stout so why waste money on something that's neutral? Otherwise one of the london or scottish ales from wyeast (I've not tried them) but I reckon save your money and get a liquid when yeast character is more integral.

My recipe that I have planned is along these lines (partial mash) although I think I'll be dropping out some of the extract:

Style: Imperial Stout/Milk Stout
Type: Partial mash
Size: 20 liters
Color: 270 HCU
Bitterness: 46 IBU
OG: 1.086
FG: 1.020
Alcohol: 8.1% v/v (6.4% w/w)
Mash: 70% efficiency
Boil:

Time: 60 minutes
SG: 1.072
Volume:23 liters

Grain:

1kg Pilsner
2kg ale
250g crystal
200g chocolate
500g Roasted barley

Extract/sugar:

1.5kg Dark LME
1kg Dark DME
200g Lactose

Hops:
30g Fuggles (4.75% AA, 60 min.)
30g Kent Goldings (5% AA, 60 min.)
20g Fuggles (4.75% AA, 30 min.)
20g Kent Goldings (5% AA, 30 min.)
20g Kent Goldings (aroma)

24 g safale 04 dried yeast
Irish moss

I may play with increasing the amounts of grain and reducing the amount of extract as I'm moving closer to larger grain bills/AG brewing. I'm also thinking of lowering my gravity (maybe to around 1060-68) to try and get better attenuation as most of my recent brews are good but a bit too sweet.

If you're doing a kit version, replace the grains with a stout kit and back off on the bittering hops. Otherwise use an unhopped 1.5 Black LME and 1 kg of some pale dried extract?. Steep some roast barley for that coffee character.

Latest posts

Back