Golden Ale Full Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shifter

Reaction score
Krausen

Group: Members
Member No.: 18602

Going to try this full extract version of Dr. S's Golden Ale.

1.5kg Coopers LME light
1.5 Coopers Liquid wheat malt
250 g Carabelge - light crystal
20g Amarillo @60 mins AA 10.3%
15g Amarillo @ 15mins
15g amarillo @ 5 mins
15g amarillo DH at day 3-4.
US 05 yeast.

Steep grain in 1tr of water @ 65 Deg c, sparge with 1 ltr of warm water. Add to brew pot to make up 5 ltrs for boil. add 600g of LME for boil - SG should be about 1040? Hop utilisation about 30 for a 60 min boil at 1040?

Boil and add hops as above. When boil is complete add remainder of LME and wheat, cool and bring up to 20 ltrs for fermenting. Pitch yeast. Dry hop after 3-4 days dependent on how fermentation is going, maybe after 5-6 days? IBU works out at 32 from calculations (grams of hops 20) x (AA% 10.3) x (Util Rate 31) / (Volume 20ltrs) x 10 = 32 IBU

Any comments please, especially regarding the IBU calcs - I'm struggling here.

Try downloading and using ianh's spreadsheet for kits and extract beers here

I think you'll find it a great help and by playing with the numbers you'll get a better understanding of the whole IBU thing

Yep, done that but I run a MAC and it doesn't appear to want to play. I have also looked at Beer Calcs, but this IBU thing is very confusing, that why I have attempted to calculate it.

Shifter: I posted a thread in this very forum earlier today titled "what recipe is this"

Im using 2.5kg ldme and 1kg of wheat lme... The rest is fairly similar...

I use beermate, and iirc I came up to about 5.5% and not too bitter (on my phone atm so cant check)

400DME will give you a BG of 1040, and it'll get you 39IBU's according to beersmith, cut back to 18g at 60 and you get 36IBU, otherwise looks good to me, hope that helps, cheers

Thanks Guys, I am on the right track, which is pleasing to know.

Try downloading and using ianh's spreadsheet for kits and extract beers here

I think you'll find it a great help and by playing with the numbers you'll get a better understanding of the whole IBU thing

Finally got the spreadsheet to operate in a reasonable fashion. Very helpful and I'm going to use the info for the Golden Ale Extract Brew. Should be good, thank you for your help, much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back