Gold Coast Amateur Brewing Competition - April 2017

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dr Rummy said:
Just to clarify......

The entry form for each beer submitted must include full recipe details, etc as requested on the form? Or are recipes only required for the "special" beers nominated as such?

Cheers.

Sorry, missed this one. Only special ingredients are required for the specialty categories or if the entry form prompts you for additional details as per the BJCP style guidelines. If you have any specific questions regarding a particular style then send me a message on the competition website.

earle said:
Entry is very easy on the website and I really liked how it generated the entry forms and labels for you. I imagine its very helpful on the comp administration side of things too. I hope the state and national organisers have a look at this to see if it could be used by them.
Cheers! Yes, I've been using it for over a year now with our Gold Club mini competitions (we also run our mini competitions as BJCP sanctioned competitions). The backend is quite good in helping organising flights, it's not perfect but it's way better than manually organising a competition.

As far as I know the state (well QLD at least) and national competitions don't use the exact BJCP style guidelines, they use the AABC guidelines which differ slightly. Hopefully, the AABC moves over to the BJCP 2015 guidelines (or a subset of the guidelines) so they can move to an online entry system.

I agree with earle, the online entry is good. a couple of annoying things (like the mandatory beer name), but worth the minor annoyance to know the details are right, and the money goes to the right person (I hate sending money in the post).

I also like being able to see how many entries there are.

Now just to sit back and wait for the brewbucket, several bags of grain and an invitation for a brew :)

n87 said:
I agree with earle, the online entry is good. a couple of annoying things (like the mandatory beer name), but worth the minor annoyance to know the details are right, and the money goes to the right person (I hate sending money in the post).
Cheers! We'll look into making the beer name optional for next year's competition. It shouldn't really be mandatory as it's not required or used at all on the judging side. I guess it's more as a reference for participants that have multiple entries in the same style so they know which beer is what entry.

elronalds said:
Cheers! We'll look into making the beer name optional for next year's competition. It shouldn't really be mandatory as it's not required or used at all on the judging side. I guess it's more as a reference for participants that have multiple entries in the same style so they know which beer is what entry.
It is handy if you actually have a name for your beers (I name a few, and entered the names), it also makes interesting reading of the results at the end. But it should default to the style name if left blank IMO

And there should be an option of printing out all your bottle labels and/or entry forms (separate would be great) instead of having to go into each one individually and print.

*making suggestions to make it easier on the competitor, not biatching. Still better than filling out individual PDF forms

n87 said:
And there should be an option of printing out all your bottle labels and/or entry forms (separate would be great) instead of having to go into each one individually and print.

*making suggestions to make it easier on the competitor, not biatching. Still better than filling out individual PDF forms
Yes, hopefully we get these improvements implemented for next year's competition. Thanks for the suggestions.

Reminder to everyone entering this competition.

Entry drop-off at Craftbrewer (Unit 2, 4 Christine Place, Capalaba, Queensland 4157) closes on Thursday 30th March 2017 when Craftbrewer closes at 5pm. Entry drop-off closes earlier there as we need to transport bottles down to the Gold Coast.

Additionally, we have drop-off open at the Burleigh Brewing warehouse on Monday 27th March - Friday 31st March - 8am-4pm & Saturday 1st April 10am-12pm.

I was keen to enter but I wasn't organised enough to make the postage cut-off (had to fill bottles from kegs, was waiting for the weekend), and didn't end up getting a chance to get down to Craftbrewer.

Good luck with the comp, hope it goes well and it's back next year.

I will spend that weekend drinking my beer and pronouncing it great.

earle said:
Probably the best you've ever made.
Feel free to join me Earle with a few of your harvest ales, and I'll say that they are the best ones of those you've ever done as well.

i got a bottle in the post today - express, so hope it makes it up there

Cheers - agree, the form was great - though would be nice if the details form was in metric (i just put in metric anyway because I am an anti imperial elitist.)

good luck for the comp!

Oh whoops, I knew there was something I forgot this week...forgot to send my entries off! Too late now to send them from VIC. Good luck with the comp regardless!

zeggie said:
Oh whoops, I knew there was something I forgot this week...forgot to send my entries off! Too late now to send them from VIC. Good luck with the comp regardless!
If you get it off this morning express post it should get there, provided your postcode is in that network and Aus Post feels like doing their job

SergeMarx said:
i got a bottle in the post today - express, so hope it makes it up there

Cheers - agree, the form was great - though would be nice if the details form was in metric (i just put in metric anyway because I am an anti imperial elitist.)

good luck for the comp!
We'll probably be removing that entry form with the recipes next year. It should have only been bottle labels as all the details we need are printed on this. Error on our side for that.

zeggie said:
Could you send a message through on the competition website and we'll remove your beers if you didn't end up sending them express post.

Additionally, we have extended the Craftbrewer drop-off times until tomorrow. Drop off is strictly closing on Friday 31st March 2017 when Craftbrewer closes at 5PM. We have extended this drop-off due to the weather conditions in SE Queensland at the moment.

GCABC entries closed with 220 received entries. Cheers to everyone that entered and good luck as well.

elronalds said:
GCABC entries closed with 220 received entries. Cheers to everyone that entered and good luck as well.
Out of curiosity, did the missing 11 entries get contacted to make sure they didnt get lost somewhere?
A little paranoid that mine was part of that 11 :unsure:

Possible addition for next year would be a 'checked in' tick next to the entries in your profile... im not sure how much customisation you have over the system.

Anyway, looks like a good comp

n87 said:
Out of curiosity, did the missing 11 entries get contacted to make sure they didnt get lost somewhere?
A little paranoid that mine was part of that 11 :unsure:

Possible addition for next year would be a 'checked in' tick next to the entries in your profile... im not sure how much customisation you have over the system.

Anyway, looks like a good comp

I sent an SMS to those with missing deliveries. Don't think I missed anyone. Thanks for the feedback, will try get that added for next year.

Scores are now online at https://www.gcabc.com.au Congratulations to all the 1st, 2nd and 3rd category place winners. Also, congratulations to the champion brewer and champion beer winners.

Score sheets are available online and you can log in to your account to view your result summary at https://www.gcabc.com.au/entry#bos

Cheers and thanks to everyone that entered and all that volunteered on the day! Looking forward to GCABC 2018!

elronalds said:
Scores are now online at https://www.gcabc.com.au Congratulations to all the 1st, 2nd and 3rd category place winners. Also, congratulations to the champion brewer and champion beer winners.

Score sheets are available online and you can log in to your account to view your result summary at https://www.gcabc.com.au/entry#bos

Cheers and thanks to everyone that entered and all that volunteered on the day! Looking forward to GCABC 2018!

Thanks for that. Just a question about the scoring sheets. Why are some of the final scores adjusted from the original score e.g. originally a 38 was given then down below it there's a different circled number?

Back