Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Gold Coast Amateur Brewing Competition - April 2017

Discussion in 'Competitions & Results' started by elronalds, 13/1/17.

1. neal32

Posted 9/4/17
    I got 2 2nds from 3 beers. Happy with that. Thanks to the organisers for putting it on and I look forward to the next one.

2. murpho

Posted 9/4/17
    Was the 'Cube IPA' one of your entries? Interested to know if that was a no chill beer and if so, whether or not you'd be keen to share the recipe?

Cheers,
    Tom

3. elronalds

Home Page:
    Posted 9/4/17
    That's an average between the two scoresheets which is entered into the software system, also there could have been an adjustment by the judges if your entry was involved in a draw for a placing.

4. Futur

Posted 9/4/17
    Awesome, thanks!

5. neal32

Posted 9/4/17
    It was mine. It's my standard base recipe for hoppy beers. I chill with a CFC but you could get a similar effect by cube hopping(maybe, I've never done it). The recipe was 85% Golden Promise, 10% Munich, 5% Sugar. 30g Columbus FWH, 100g Columbus hopstand for 30mins, 100g Simcoe hopstand for 30 min. Dryhopped with 100g of Columbus, 100g of Simcoe. Vermont Ale at 18 degrees. O.G 1.059 F.G 1.007.

It came out dank and resinous w/ some pineapple flavour. If I were to rebrew it I would cut the Columbus in half and sub it with Citra, or Galaxy, or Mosaic. WY1318 is my other favoured yeast for hoppy beers.

EDIT : The water profile was Tastys water profile w/ 100ppm less sulphate

1 person likes this.
  6. Rick_S

Posted 9/4/17
    I'm pretty sure the circled number is the average of your 2 scores and represents your overall score.

7. Aus_Rider_22

Pro Pro

Home Page:
    Posted 10/4/17
    Thanks to the organisers and judges! My first ever comp that I have entered. I didn't expect to go very well, but 35.5 for my Pale Lager and 35.25 for my BIPA is encouraging. I am going to have to take more care with my bottling I think. I keg usually but naturally carbed up the entries and judges noted oxidisation in my entries.

1 person likes this.
  8. Hoppomatic

Posted 12/4/17
    Hi guys,

Have any other fellow winners been contacted about how to collect prizes? Have been in Tasmania and not seen any correspondence so wondering if anyone has heard anything?

Cheers,

Hoppo

9. elronalds

Home Page:
    Posted 12/4/17
    Winners have not yet been contacted via. email. We are still arranging the pickup locations for the sacks of grain. Expect to receive an email regarding this in the next week or so.

10. elronalds

Home Page:
    Posted 12/4/17
    Well done on your first competition and thanks. Hope to see you enter again next year! Glad you received some quality feedback from the judges.

11. Ben1

Home Page:
    Posted 18/4/17
    I have to say I was pretty impressed with the quality of the feedback. This was my first comp so I wasn't sure what to expect but the descriptions were spot on, detailed and helpful. Really appreciate the effort guys

1 person likes this.
  12. Ben1

Home Page:
    Posted 25/4/17
    @elronalds I haven't received an email yet. Should I be worried? No worries if it's still being arranged

13. elronalds

Home Page:
    Posted 26/4/17
    Emails to category winners have been sent out today regarding picking up your sack of grain. 2nd and 3rd place winners can pickup their vouchers at the next Gold Club meeting, stay tuned for details on that.

14. Ben1

Home Page:
    Posted 26/4/17
    Awesome, thank you

15. elronalds

Home Page:
    Posted 10/5/17
    All prize winners should have emails now with details on how to receive their prize. 2nd and 3rd placings should have received their voucher numbers redeemable at each sponsor in an email today. We won't be sending out any vouchers for these, you just need the voucher number.

Thanks again and we look forward to next year's GCABC competition in 2018. We appreciate all the feedback that we receive. If you're located on the Gold Coast then be sure to visit the monthly GoldClub meetings At Burleigh Brewing (2nd Wednesday of each month at 6pm).

Cheers!

16. earle

Choc wheat fiend

Posted 10/5/17
    Thanks Luke, I was reading on the website that awards can be accessed through the portal?

17. elronalds

Home Page:
    Posted 10/5/17
    No, prize details are just emailed out to the winners. You can access scoresheets in the portal (those were available the day after the competition) and we aren't doing anything like award certificates this year.

18. earle

Choc wheat fiend

Posted 10/5/17
    No worries. Thanks for your response. :)