Going Nitrogen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Tony,
I use Elgas/Stargas Cellarmix, cost around $130 for a 9kg (I think) bottle including rent. It was meant to be about $170 but he gave me a couple of discounts because I was a homebrewer. He was kind of amazed that people had all this gear at home :D

I use a Harris Co2 regulator - purchased the adaptor here. It's fine to use a Co2 reg as long as the quality is decent apparently.

Great info there, but after having a look on the elgas site it says this:

Elgas Stargas currently available in metropolitan areas of Melbourne, Sydney and Gold Coast only

What's a stout tap?

No really, what is the difference between it and a normal tap?

The stout tap has a creamer plate in it to foam the small amount of gas in solution and give you that classic guinness look in the beer. You use the nitrogen.Co2 mix to stop too much Co2 going into solution. So you can use a high pressure to serve but not have the beer carb up too much.

cheers

I like the idea of using a CO2 reg with the adapter but i read that the Nitrohen bottles have a higher internal pressure and the propper nitrogen regs come with higher pressure rated guages etc ???

These are in the USA and seem to have a male thread as aposed to the female thread on that adaptop your using Logman.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/16198//Ni...or_-_Dual_Gauge

I like the idea of using a CO2 reg with the adapter but i read that the Nitrohen bottles have a higher internal pressure and the propper nitrogen regs come with higher pressure rated guages etc ???
There are other circumstances I believe because you're using Cellarmix rather than a full Nitrogen mix so you can use a Co2 reg up to a certain pressure - plenty for a beer setup. It's been a while since I set it up and can't quite remember if that's the exact reason but Ross had two Co2 regs at CB at the time on his Nitro rig.

cool..... that will make it simple too.

Thanks for your help mate :)

I understand the main difference between a regular tap and a stout tap is that with the latter you can do a perfect shamrock or a Guinness happy face in the foam like the guys do at our RSL :icon_cheers: .

Tony,

You can equally use a CO2 reg or nitrogen reg, but they have different threads, so you are really governed by what the bottle has that they supply you with (unless you use an adaptor).
We sell both regs, just not up on the site. give me a call if you ewant to discuss.

Cheers Ross

Tony,

You can equally use a CO2 reg or nitrogen reg, but they have different threads, so you are really governed by what the bottle has that they supply you with (unless you use an adaptor).
We sell both regs, just not up on the site. give me a call if you ewant to discuss.

Cheers Ross

Thanks Ross......will do. Will find out what bottle is available and will go from there

cheers

http://www.liquidnitrogenservices.com.au/index.htm that nitrogen is used in food processing industry .
Pure nitrogen is not used for beer. It's a mix of nitrogen and CO2 - as well as being used to produce fine bubbles in beer (same thing that happens to your blood if you dive too deep and surface too quickly) it's used in modern hotel setups where they have a central cold room and the beer has to travel long distances to "satellite" bars. The nitrogen pushes the beer and the CO2 gives it bubbles. If you used pure CO2 to push the beer long distances it would end up overcarbed.

for home usage a mix of 70% nitro and 30% CO2 gives the desired creamy foam as the Nitrogen and CO2 comes out of solution. Nitro gives most of the creamy foam, CO2 gives the sparkle on the tongue.

Fcukk.........I gotta get one :icon_drool2:

The biggest problem is the calories!! Not joking either :lol: If you don't watch out you can end up piling the weight on pretty quick, I put on 10kgs straight away and had to work it off :icon_drunk:

Checked out Ross's Nitro setup today and a glass of Irish Red and one of a Guinness lookalike nailed it totally. :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

Briefly, if you go BOC you'll need to get the nitro reg, but if you can get your own cylinder threaded same as normal you can go "normal" reg.

A stout tap will fit directly onto a 1/2/3 tap tower font.

Apart from gas and cylinder costs it's going to cost me about $250 to get into nitro. I'll do one tap on nitro and 2 on CO2. :)

As it happens Juliar is going to stimulate me with $250 in a couple of weeks to offset the carbon tax so I'll offset my CO2 usage with nitrogen. Sounds like a deal. B)

Funny, i used a BOC 70/30 bottle at a festival recently with my standard Co2 reg, same connection, likewise with the bottles i get from Supagas, maybe you can get the bottles with both fittings.

Anyone know what the price diff is between a normal reg and a nitro one?

Nitro reg = $179 from CraftBrewer.

Cheers Ross

Anyone know what the price diff is between a normal reg and a nitro one?

I believe the CO2/nitrogen mix bottles have the same thread as CO2 and the regs are the same (I remember reading in the book for my Micromatic reg that it was suitable for nitrogen - will double check when I get home). Its just the pure Nitrogen bottles that have a different thread.

My Stout regulator has a Male Fitting similiar to a gas bottle
Hope that helps..It came from a Pub..
Cheers
PJ

Funny, i used a BOC 70/30 bottle at a festival recently with my standard Co2 reg, same connection, likewise with the bottles i get from Supagas, maybe you can get the bottles with both fittings.

I made some phone calls to BOC and after some repeating of the line "70/30....... no not 60/40.... i want 70/30" and convincing of the lady on the phone that i "make my own beer" and she went...... OOOOOOOoooooooooooo you want food grade nitrogen.

Ummmm.... yeah!

She told me i could get it in a 10Kg bottle code 073 and i would need a proper nitrgen regulator.

I have phoned my local BOC distributor and given them the code and told them i want a bottle on my existing account, they sounded a tad confused so should be interesting to see what i get :p

I will wait till i get the bottle and sort out regulators and adaptors as needed to suit what i get.

might do some brewing on the weekend and cube up some stout in reediness :)

My dad said....... If you get guinness on tap, I'm moving into your garage :p

log man marty is a good bloke

stargas is a very good option with very good pricing. they are located in melbourne sydney and the gold coast if your interested call 1800 782 742 and ask for big ben happy to help out

well... i don't live in Melbourne, Sydney or the gold coast so i will go with the BOC dealer a couple of K's down the road.

plus i already have a BOC account.

It will have to be a good deal, cause if i need to drive for half a day to get a refill, i would want a carton of westy 12 to bring home with the gas bottle :p

log man marty is a good bloke
Yeah he is a good guy, he said he was happy to give a good deal to anyone on the Gold Coast if they mentioned they were a homebrewer. He thought the level of debauchery was awesome and laughed at how we do bulk buys etc.

Great that you and Bribie are getting these Tony, will be awesome to be able to discuss Nitro - it's the favorite part of brewing for me. Will warn again though, keep your eyes on that beer gut :icon_drunk:

Back