Going Nitrogen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a stout tap and reg actually as a joint buy with Tony, who started this thread, to reduce postage from the USA

As I posted earlier I sold my nitro reg and handed in my BOC bottle but the stout tap still has pride of place in the middle of my 3 tap font.
It pours basically Guinness style heads, on CO2.

I recently removed the restrictor plate out of the tap to reduce the creaminess but because of the configuration of the tap itself - I assume - I still get a much more stouty head than from the micromatic taps on either side.

mckenry said:
I'm missing something here I'm sure. How can you guys carbonate your beer with CO2 as usual, put it on cellarmix, 70/30 for dispensing and get 'Guiness' type pours?
[...]
Not having a crack at anyone, just need to understand. I'm going to read the 5 pages again, but feel free to jump in and enlighten me.
As far as I read, the beer is not completely carbonated.
I think I read something that said to leave it on the CO2 as per normal, but for a shorter time.

And that's what I did.

Mr Wibble said:
As far as I read, the beer is not completely carbonated.
I think I read something that said to leave it on the CO2 as per normal, but for a shorter time.

And that's what I did.
I carbonate the nitro beers to about 1.2-1.6 volumes then serve them under 40psi of pressure with 30/70 mix.

Its the tap that knocks that low carbonation out of solution to make the creamy head, the stout disc inside the tap wont knock the co2 out of solution without HIGH pressure, which you need nitrogen to do it.

Good to hear someone sells them, (not sure how legal that is) Im paying rental for a VT tank and its about $15 per month

Sorry Mckenry misunderstood your question.

The stout tap is what restricts it and makes it foam, for me anyway.

I run two bottles, the 70/30 bottle is dedicated to nitro tap.

mckenry said:
Thanks guys, but I understand totally the need for cellarmix and avoiding overcarbonation. I run a bar on weekends.
What I'm trying to understand is how homebrewers are getting a guinness pour, just by pushing their beer with cellarmix.
So, it seems its all about high pressure through a stout tap? (and to get the high pressure they use 70/30 to avoid over-carb) So, they're running dual bottles?
alternatively you could use 2 regulars with just the cellermix. , one set for round 6 to 10 psi for your lagers/ales and another with the higher 30psi to force the stout through the restriction plate?

Back