Going From Ag To Kit, Would Like Some Suggestions.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damoncouper

Reaction score
This may seem a tad absurd but unlike most brewers I never did any K&Ks. I jumped straight into the all grain but I want to try a goop in a can to see how it is. I really don't want to set out to make the most horrid brew that I can, I would like a good representation of what a kit can do.

What I was looking at doing was getting a can of coopers goop and using another can of the same goop in instead of a kilo of sugar/dex/extract. I am not too concerned with the alcohol content, more that I don't make 19L of rubbish. Any suggestions? I do not intend on using the yeast that comes with the can as I already have too much good yeast that need to use within my fridge.

Some of my smart-ass AG friends have suggested that I get two cans of goop and use them to hold a door open whilst I do an AG brew. I really would like to see what this can stuff is like, it can't be all bad.

Have you searched around for 'toucan' recipes? There have been a few threads on the subject here over time...
I can't help much. I started adding stuff to my kits almost straight away...

Maltchew

Plenty of simple kit recipes out there, just before i made the jump to AG i spent time playing around with spec malts and used coopers lager to make every beer from lagers thru to stouts, using spec grains to give the colour and appropriate flavour plus additional hops for flavour/aroma and even bittering if it needed more.

My kit golden ale wasnt quite as popular as my AG version but its so easy it criminal, dont even need spec malt if you dont want.

1 kit coopers sparkling ale
1 can coopers wheat malt
250g JW caramalt steeped - skipped this sometimes
15 g amarillo @ 15, 5 minutes and dry hopped in secondary or keg
US56

Seriously easy. Would work equally well using cascade or a combo of both.

If you want recipes for dark ales or porters then PM me. As much as i love my AG beers, i still am proud of what i achieved using kits. Knocked off a few AG/partials at shows in the past......

Cheers
DrSmurto

Maltchew

Plenty of simple kit recipes out there, just before i made the jump to AG i spent time playing around with spec malts and used coopers lager to make every beer from lagers thru to stouts, using spec grains to give the colour and appropriate flavour plus additional hops for flavour/aroma and even bittering if it needed more.

My kit golden ale wasnt quite as popular as my AG version but its so easy it criminal, dont even need spec malt if you dont want.

1 kit coopers sparkling ale
1 can coopers wheat malt
250g JW caramalt steeped - skipped this sometimes
15 g amarillo @ 15, 5 minutes and dry hopped in secondary or keg
US56

Seriously easy. Would work equally well using cascade or a combo of both.

If you want recipes for dark ales or porters then PM me. As much as i love my AG beers, i still am proud of what i achieved using kits. Knocked off a few AG/partials at shows in the past......

Cheers
DrSmurto

Thanks for that. I have all the extra ingredients already ;-) so that makes it easy.

While you can make good beer with Coopers kits, you can make great beer with Munton's kits. They proudly write on their labels that the kits contain NO barley sugars. None of the others I have seen see fit to do that. And the results from their kits are clearly better, even to my useless taste buds.

For a really good result, a can of Muntons 'goop', a can of morgans specialty liquid malt, and only make up to 19 litres as you suggest. Easy, quick and excellent results with 4.5% abv roughly.

Their 2 can kits are also excellent, though expensive, and usually need an extra can of unhopped malt to make them into wonderful beers.

While you can make good beer with Coopers kits, you can make great beer with Munton's kits. They proudly write on their labels that the kits contain NO barley sugars. None of the others I have seen see fit to do that. And the results from their kits are clearly better, even to my useless taste buds.

For a really good result, a can of Muntons 'goop', a can of morgans specialty liquid malt, and only make up to 19 litres as you suggest. Easy, quick and excellent results with 4.5% abv roughly.

Their 2 can kits are also excellent, though expensive, and usually need an extra can of unhopped malt to make them into wonderful beers.
I'd second that. Some of my best kit beers were done this way. I used to nearly always add a little flavouring and aroma hops too but the base was as outlined above, or Morgans kit with Morgans liquid malt(s)...

From my experience of steering away from 'kits' before jumping to all grain was best enjoyed by brewing unhopped extract and hopping myself and steeping grain.

Considering you want to expereince the 'quality' of a kit, the best ive enjoyed have been the muntons and the other standout was the 'james squire' range (which are made to be pitched directly with 15L of water, yeast and NOHTING ELSE)

i would persoanlly go one of those 2, with another can of unhopped goo and fill to 19 L. Muntons Export Stout is quite good as is the IPA.

Cheers

What sort of sugars are they using? :huh:

hi, yes muntons is a great kit beer, price has increased though.
all malt kits. barley syrup added in kits is seen by some to produce a lower grade kit.

cheers

I've been doing kits for a few years now, they're nice and easy, especially if you don't have any free weekends to brew.

Here's a 4 simple kit recipes I've found great:
The coopers stout/dark toucan combo. I've got one bubbling away at home right now.
The TCB Summer Wheat Wetpak
Morgans Blue Mountain Lager, with the Morgans extra pale liquid extract.
ESB Belgian Smoked Ale - if you like smoked food this is tops.

www.hbkitreviews.com.au is a good site to check out too.

All the best with your de-evolving. ;) I like the idea of using the cans for doorstops too! (I used a couple of Bilo cans to prop up a lagering cube in a bar fridge, so there's another use.
Cheers
Pete

Members of my local homebrew club can brew some very nice kit beers. Good enough to win awards at state and national levels.

With a bit of persuading around a camp fire, with liberal lashings of homebrew, this is how to make a decent kit.

Use the best quality kit you can. The 3kg paint tin style kits are great. Avoid the supermarket home brand tins, the results are variable at best.

Always do a simmer of some malt extract in water with hops.

Use about 300 gms of extract in 3 litres of water simmered for 20 minutes. Make three hops additions, one at the start, one at the 10 minute mark and the last addition one minute before you turn the flame off. Being an ag brewer you will have a good handle on what hops to use and how much. For any kit brewer out there, use tettnanger, hallertauer or saaz for lagers, fuggles or goldings for English and Australian ales and Amarillo or cascade for American brews. Use a total of 45 gms, which is 15 gms per addition.

If the recipe can use any sort of specialty grain, use it. 200 gms of crystal really ups the flavour in any kit.

Use a good quality yeast, ferment at the right temperature, leave it in primary for 14 days, or rack if you want.

Just bumping this thread to ask if anyone knows where I can get MUNTONS kits in Brisbane? PM me if you like. Setting off to do a Northside search tomorrow but would like to save fuel if poss :rolleyes:

For the foreseeable future I'll be restricted to kit brews with maybe some extras sneaked in. We've moved to a new place and I have a garage all to myself but the Mrs has threatened divorce if I go boiling up in the kitchen (her ex was a brewer and it has taken some SERIOUS negotiation just to get as far as kits this time round :ph34r: - smell that darling, that's not too bad is it ?). Garage has no water supply or sink and I gave away my mash tun and boiler years ago so AG is in the too hard basket just for now and I would like to get Muntons for starters, being a Pom and all that :lol:

Just bumping this thread to ask if anyone knows where I can get MUNTONS kits in Brisbane? PM me if you like. Setting off to do a Northside search tomorrow but would like to save fuel if poss :rolleyes:

You could try Brewcraft at Chermside (contact details), they stock the Muntons products. Also the Brewcraft range are made for Brewcraft by Muntons, these are not the same as the standard Muntons range, they are made to Brewcraft's specifications.

If I recall correctly, Brewers Choice at Enoggera (contact details) also has the Muntons and Brewcraft range.

You may wish to call Home Brew Barn (previously Home Brew Oasis) at Kedron (contact details).

:icon_cheers:
EK

Here is a page of QLD stores on the website of the company that has the Muntons Australian distributuion.

Might help.

Cheers,

microbe

EDIT - add words make better england

+1 for muntons
-1 for toucans - followed heaps of recipes on here that were apparently great toucans, but they never were much chop imo, I got much better results with a kit, kilo of malt extract plus a few steeped hops and grains and whatnot...

Thanks for that guys, looks like Brewcraft at Chermside is ideal - I'll give them a ring and if they class Bribie Island as 'Brisbane Metro' then there's no need for me to actually go down there as the $7 freight will be sweet :icon_cheers:

They list heaps of Muntons kits so with luck I'll have a couple of them bedded down before the weekend.

Cheers

Michael

I doubt they will...but good luck anyway.

EK

I have to go to Burpengary tomorrow so I'll spear down the highway and back late morning and have a look at what's in stock. If I get 3 Muntons and the other stuff I'm chasing like malt extract, hydrometer, 3l jug etc then hit them with the freight question re regular buying online they may take a shine to me :p :p I'll post how I got on!

Actually I'll hit Brewers World at Morayfield first and see if they stock Muntons (closed today) but I don't hold out a lot of hope there <_<

cheers

I have to go to Burpengary tomorrow so I'll spear down the highway and back late morning and have a look at what's in stock. If I get 3 Muntons and the other stuff I'm chasing like malt extract, hydrometer, 3l jug etc then hit them with the freight question re regular buying online they may take a shine to me :p :p I'll post how I got on!

Actually I'll hit Brewers World at Morayfield first and see if they stock Muntons (closed today) but I don't hold out a lot of hope there <_<

cheers

Do let us know...always good to hear about peoples experiences with HBS's. They are fairly well stocked, you should find what you are after. But if you're going to be at Chermside, then you may want to go that little bit further down Gympie Road to Kedron. Home Brew Oasis/Barn is usually fairly well stocked also, I have never gone there and not got what I needed, hardware-wise anyway.

:icon_cheers:
EK

BG,

I thought the local Bribie Home Brew shop had Muntons cans, have you
checked them out?

cheers
Dave

Latest posts

Back