Glycol Chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SicOfVic

Reaction score
Hi Lads,

So I was given the un-enviable job of cleaning up at my local cricket club clubrooms in preparation for the upcoming season.

As unexciting as that sounds, I came across a messy back corner possibly uncleaned for years. There I found remnants of an old draught system - some dusty old fonts & a couple of pluto guns. I managed to find a home for them before they went to the tip!

I also came across what I believe to be a Glycol Chiller. It's got a CIG maxichill sticker on the outside. I took a look inside and it's got the compressor on one side and a container with a couple of coils on the other side. I filled the container with water, and turned on the compressor and three hours later I had a container full of ice. So it appears to be in working condition.

I'm not sure if anyone here has seen this unit - but I was wondering how they work? Obviously I believe you must fill the container full of glycol solution, and somehow pump the glycol up to your flooded font? I assume for that I would need a pump, as this machine doesnt appear to have any type of pumping mechanism.

There is a four connections on the outside which I believe are in in-outs connecting to the two coils. If I pumped through a heap of cleaner & sanitizer, could I foreseeably use this as a chiller for my beer in the future? At the moment I no-chill but perhaps pumping my beer through these coils after the boil, would be a quick & easy way of getting to pitching temperature?

Thanks for any help. I can take some snapshots of the unit after work.....

yeah you are spot on, they work by chilling the liquid (glycol) to minus temperatures around -3 and then in commercial systems pumping that around to various heat exchangers to cool the beverage. In your case the coils in side are used as the heat exchanger and you pump your liquid around them. If you have 2 coils in side the chiller you could loop them and circulate the liquid though both before exiting the chiller. Or just use one coil its up to you.

I recently fixed one of these for a local pub for them to use it as a bundy on tap chiller, instead of removing one of the beers off the temprites.

Cheers

Matt

Latest posts

Back