Gluten Free Malting & Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey I've been trawling around for GF recipes and most of the "usual" sites seem to have removed all of the nice homebrewing info.

Does anybody have a proven recipe for a sorghum-based wit?

cheers,
B&T
Hi B&T,

Here's recipe I had posted on oz craftbeer a few years back - it was a ripper!

Swap your sorghum malt for the fermentables and away you go, I've never done a wit with sorghum before but it should work fine.

Cheers, Andrew.

Recipe Swap : id 55
Use the "Contact" button to send an email message to the Brewer to request further information or to give feedback.
Category: 14. GLUTEN FREE
Style: Belgian Wit
Recipe Name: Buckwit
Brewer's Name: Andrew Lavery
Brewing Method: Partial Mash
Starting Gravity: 1.048
Ending Gravity: 1.012
Alcohol (w/w%): 5.2%
Bitterness (IBU): 18
Colour (SRM): 2-3 ish
Specification Comments: A reasonably good copy of the style, and damn easy to drink a lot of, my house beer
Size of Batch: 23
Batch Size Unit: Liters
Extract Efficiency: 70%
Fermentables:
1.5kg Buckwheat pilsener malt
1.5kg Millet pilsener malt
1.5kg Pure Harvest Rice Syrup
0.5kg CSR Golden Syrup (other brands have salt added)
Hop Additions:
30g Goldings 4.5%AA 60 min
10g Goldings 4.5%AA 15 min
Wort Preparation:
Mash grains with 12lt of water
Hold at 60C for 15 min
Syphon off 3lt of enzyme liquid and let it cool to around 40C
Add 3lt of boiling water to mash and raise temp to 85C for 30 min
Add enzyme liquid, 3lt of chilled water and 0.6kg of rice hulls
Hold at 63C for 90 min, heat to 70C for 30 min
Start sparge at 75C and transfer to lauter tun
Collect about 18lt and cut runnings at 1.010
Boiling and Cooling:
Add rice syrup and golden syrup
Add water to a pre-boil volume of about 28lt
Boil for about 90 min
0.5 tablet of irish moss at 15 min for end
Cool to about 20-25C after boil
Other Additions:
50g Dried pink grapefruit peel 15 min
30g Coriander seeds (crushed) 15 min
2g Cardomom pods (10 pods) 15 min
10g Freshly grated ginger root, boiled with priming sugar (strained out)
Yeast Information:
Fermentis Safale K-97
Fermentation Details:
Sprinkle yeast and aerate for 90 min
Primary ferment for 7-8 days at 20C
Secondary ferment for 2 days at 20C
Other Brewing Information: All water pre-boiled to get rid of chlorination
Prime with 210g of dextrose (maize based)
Target 6.5 g/lt of CO2
Competition Results:
Scored 124/150 at Beerfest 2005 which I am extremely happy with considering the beer was past it's prime by then

Thanks Andrew.
I'm impressed that scored 124 - well done!

I am very curious about this recipe, I was wanting to try something very similar. I am wondering what exactly is millet pilser malt?

is that just malted millet or is there any additional precessing needed?

I am very curious about this recipe, I was wanting to try something very similar. I am wondering what exactly is millet pilser malt?

is that just malted millet or is there any additional precessing needed?
Just malted millet but very lightly kilned so pale in colour.

Cheers, Andrew.

Just malted millet but very lightly kilned so pale in colour.

Cheers, Andrew.

Thanks, alot for the info. I've been reading through some of your posts on the subject of GF brewing, you've given a ton of fantastic information. I'm definitely going to brew this as soon as i can gather the ingredients.

I can't find great info like this on gluten free brewing here in the states.

Cheers,

mike

I have been trying to malt some millet according to the instructions posted by millet man, and at the end of the cycle i noticed that the smell of the grain changed dramatically. it went from the pleasant grain smell to kind of a sour smell, and I'm wondering if this was normal through the malting process or did my grain develop a bacterial infection?

any info would be helpful, thanks.

I have been rinsing the millet a bit more to try to make sure there is no bacteria building up on the grain and the sour smell has reduced a bit but not a whole lot.

I'm also concerned that it has been just over three days and I haven't noticed even the beginning of a sprout anywhere. is this normal?

I have been rinsing the millet a bit more to try to make sure there is no bacteria building up on the grain and the sour smell has reduced a bit but not a whole lot.

I'm also concerned that it has been just over three days and I haven't noticed even the beginning of a sprout anywhere. is this normal?
Doesn't sound right, it should be finished sprouting after 3 days. What temperature have you been germinating at?

Cheers, Andrew.

I have been maintaining a temperature of approx 25C give or take a couple degrees.

I've continued with the soak and air rest cycle and it's been about 7 days now. I'm thinking that there was something wrong with the millet that I got. I noticed that in one of your posts you recommended getting millet from a pet shop and I am wondering if the millet that I got from the grocery store may not be able to germinate for some reason.

some of the stuff I have seen in the supermarket looks "pearled" to me. Doesn't seem to have a husk of any description. Andrew - do you have a photo of some raw millet grain? So we can compare. I reckon the supermarkett stuff might be de-husked and therefore knackered for malting purposes - but I haven't seen millet that is good - so to speak, so I haven't got anything to compare it with.

Edit: just found some images online.

This looks like what I have seen in the supermarkets and is "hulled" millet

Organic%20Millet..jpg

This is what white millet apparently looks like with its husk intact --

3447984.JPG

Different! Maybe thats the problem mpcondo??

thirsty,

your right, i just pulled out the packed from my millet from the supermarket and on a closer inspection i noticed that it has been hulled. I'm gonna be making a trip to the pet shop to get some millet this afternoon, its probably a fraction of the price too.

thanks guys for the help,

Mike

Hi,

I am finding it extremely difficult to get my hands on rice hulls in Auckland. Is there anything else I coudl use instead?

If this is just to help in the lautering could I use plain rice or perhaps millet that has not been malted?

Cheers

Colm

Great advice here, couldn't have looked at a better time, here's a question- when using malted sorghum, or buckwheat, or any other gluten free grain that I've malted, is it going to be best to grind this to a flour for a decoction mash or would simply crushing them work? Rice hulls are a must though, I understand that!

Great advice here, couldn't have looked at a better time, here's a question- when using malted sorghum, or buckwheat, or any other gluten free grain that I've malted, is it going to be best to grind this to a flour for a decoction mash or would simply crushing them work? Rice hulls are a must though, I understand that!
Grinding or crushing will both work, I use a Porkert which is more of a grinding action and get it as fine as I can - there is no husk to protect so no benefit in crushing coarse. Big difference in efficiency though - approximately 95% from grinding to flour and 70% for coarse crushing.

Cheers, Andrew.

Grinding or crushing will both work, I use a Porkert which is more of a grinding action and get it as fine as I can - there is no husk to protect so no benefit in crushing coarse. Big difference in efficiency though - approximately 95% from grinding to flour and 70% for coarse crushing.

Cheers, Andrew.

Makes sense. I've malted 2 lbs of sorghum and even though it's a small amount, I might try a decoction with this in a small batch and see what happens. Maybe I can get my hands on a corona mill.

Hi,

I am finding it extremely difficult to get my hands on rice hulls in Auckland. Is there anything else I coudl use instead?

If this is just to help in the lautering could I use plain rice or perhaps millet that has not been malted?

Cheers

Colm

Try a Farm Supply they sell rice hulls for bedding .

Back