Gluten Free Kit Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelcocks

Reaction score
Hi Fellow Brewers

I am about to embark on a (kit) Gluten free brew for a friend who is gluten intolerant

Any tips - which kits are good etc
any experiences out there ?

Anyone tried the Country Brewer kit - Or the from gfbrewing ?

Thanks

Michael

Hi Fellow Brewers

I am about to embark on a (kit) Gluten free brew for a friend who is gluten intolerant

Any tips - which kits are good etc
any experiences out there ?

Anyone tried the Country Brewer kit - Or the from gfbrewing ?

Thanks

Michael
Don't know about kits, but I know this - I tried O'Briens gluten free beer and it was disgusting :icon_vomit:

My dear old dad used to say there was no such thing as bad beer, just some are better than others. Im glad he never had to drink this stuff and be proved wrong. My advice - tell your "friend" to drink wine.

:icon_offtopic: Which reminds me of a story - a bloke rings a doctor to tell him that "his friend" has a problem....

it was disgusting
+1 hazard !

A mate in my brigade is coeliac and I've tried looking around for a kit to help him get started with his HB's. So I thought I'd try a few different ones to see. It may be your taste, it may be mine... but I tried a Schnitzer Brau German Hirse Lemon... it was like drinking a glass of powdered gatorade !

There is some decent stuff out there, I guess it's worth trying a few brewski's (all in the name of research my dear man!) to see what his taste's are and trying to get recipe's to match ?

I'm a coeliac, and have really really missed beer since being diagnosed.

I've not tried any of the kits, I've done my GF brewing with Sorghum extract doing my own hop additions. I've had mixed success, first try, a lager, I used way too much Super Pride hops, and it came out INCREDIBLY bitter, although, after 6 months now of mellowing, it's the tastiest beer I've had in a long time. My other two attempts went a bit the other way, not enough hops, so it tastes kind of like brewed sorghum, and not much more.

The LHBS owner has tried sorghum syrup beers, and said they were quite tasty, once you get used to the sorghum base flavour, rather than a malted barley base.

I've found the O'Brien's Pale Ale to be rather awful, and the lager to be very nice.

When I have some spare time, I'll try and replicate my first lager for next summer, see how it goes :)

Back