Glenbar Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polar Beer

Reaction score
Glenbar Lager
Link

Saw this advertised for sale at the coming Castlemaine Farmers market. The only all Aussie organic malt beer. Apparently. They might need to double check that as they are also making this claim:

Glenbar Lager is a modern Pale Ale style (4.5%) It has a rich honey amber colour with deeply delicious full malt flavour and pleasant hop bitterness which makes for an easy drinking beer!

:lol: :lol:

Elsewhere on the website it states Paul Holgate is the brewer on their behalf. So I think we can assume it is in fact a Pale Ale as I doubt this Glenbar crowd would have heard of such a term otherwise.
I can just imagine the conversation. I have to as I have so little work today.

G - "We want something easy to drink & quick to produce. What can you do for us Paul?"
PH - "Well I think an easy drinking Pale Ale would suit. It's a very popular style in recent.."
G - "Great. We're going to call it Glenbar Lager. I came up with that myself"
PH - "um...it's actually called an ale..it's a type..."
G - "You want to call it Annail? Na mate, sounds a bit foreign and also a bit like anal doesn't it? We're going Aussie here. I think I like Glenbar Lager better"
PH - "That's not what I meant. Look, there are two types of beer..."
G - "ahh.. I got ya now. Just a heavy Paul. We don't need a light yet"
PH - "grrr....look. What beer do you drink?"
G - "Any kind of Draught"
PH - "any tap beer?"
G - "Na. Slabs generally. Carlton draught or Boags draught. Anyway that reminds me"
PH - "where are you going?"
G - "Meeting the boys down the Royal for a few quiet ales"
PH - "I'll start on the Lager. Should be ready in 2 weeks"

I'll buy some on Sunday and see what it tastes like

Cheers
Polar

Made me laugh, cheers I needed it. Common theme though unfortunatly

Interesting that their maltings site link uses an archive site - no trace of the real site either.

Ale/Lager, Lager/Larger, Belgian/Belgium, Rice Hulls/Gulls...

Not the first organic beer either.... this is just ACO, probably more certified under NASAA

1. Mountain Goat Beer
(Processor 3006P)

Richmond VIC
Phone: (03) 9428 1180 0401 677176 [email protected]
www.goatbeer.com.au
Products:
India Pale Ale
Organic Steam Ale

2. Nellinda Groves
(Processor 2412P )

Cooranbong NSW
Phone: 02 4977 2686 0414 772 686 - Chris 0405 766 431 - Chimene [email protected]
Products:
Grape Products
Lager Beer
Wine

3. Steel River Brewery
(Processor 10700P)

Mayfield NSW
Phone: 02 4960 0000 0421 747 006 [email protected]
Products:
Burragumbilli Lager
Virgin Blonde Low Carb Lager

4. William Bull Brewery
(Processor 11120P )

Bilbul NSW
Phone: 02 6966 0100 0407 884 019 [email protected]
Products:
Brewing & Packaging of Organic Beer
Williams Pale Ale

Yes I've noticed that forum English seems to have developed:

it's own subset of misspellings such as gulls, larger, which forums should definately loose to retain there hight gramattic standards B)

:icon_offtopic:
I'm gonna trademark me Larger Lager before some other bugger does.
(It'll be a RIS naturally ;) )

I made a couple of batches for Glenbar in the middle of 2008 and it was actually a Lager not a Pale Ale. Their malt (and our brewing process) is Demeter Bio-Dynamic which I believe is the oldest and highest form of organic production. So it would be the only one of that type in Oz unless someone else is using their malt commercially.

Cheers, Andrew.

Glenbar Lager
Link

Saw this advertised for sale at the coming Castlemaine Farmers market. The only all Aussie organic malt beer. Apparently. They might need to double check that as they are also making this claim:

Glenbar Lager is a modern Pale Ale style (4.5%) It has a rich honey amber colour with deeply delicious full malt flavour and pleasant hop bitterness which makes for an easy drinking beer!

:lol: :lol:

Elsewhere on the website it states Paul Holgate is the brewer on their behalf. So I think we can assume it is in fact a Pale Ale as I doubt this Glenbar crowd would have heard of such a term otherwise.
I can just imagine the conversation. I have to as I have so little work today.

G - "We want something easy to drink & quick to produce. What can you do for us Paul?"
PH - "Well I think an easy drinking Pale Ale would suit. It's a very popular style in recent.."
G - "Great. We're going to call it Glenbar Lager. I came up with that myself"
PH - "um...it's actually called an ale..it's a type..."
G - "You want to call it Annail? Na mate, sounds a bit foreign and also a bit like anal doesn't it? We're going Aussie here. I think I like Glenbar Lager better"
PH - "That's not what I meant. Look, there are two types of beer..."
G - "ahh.. I got ya now. Just a heavy Paul. We don't need a light yet"
PH - "grrr....look. What beer do you drink?"
G - "Any kind of Draught"
PH - "any tap beer?"
G - "Na. Slabs generally. Carlton draught or Boags draught. Anyway that reminds me"
PH - "where are you going?"
G - "Meeting the boys down the Royal for a few quiet ales"
PH - "I'll start on the Lager. Should be ready in 2 weeks"

I'll buy some on Sunday and see what it tastes like

Cheers
Polar

I made a couple of batches for Glenbar in the middle of 2008 and it was actually a Lager not a Pale Ale. Their malt (and our brewing process) is Demeter Bio-Dynamic which I believe is the oldest and highest form of organic production. So it would be the only one of that type in Oz unless someone else is using their malt commercially.

Cheers, Andrew.

Good info MM. I was just taking the piss really.

But they seriously should get that indentity crisis on the web site sorted.

Good info MM. I was just taking the piss really.

But they seriously should get that indentity crisis on the web site sorted.
No worries PB, agreed they should call it what it is though.

I work at Holgates and we haven't brewed this since about 2009 At the time we did brew it with a lager yeast and fermented at lager temps.

No worries PB, agreed they should call it what it is though.

Back