Ginger Beer - When To Bottle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichLum

Reaction score
Hi all,

got my first ginger beer in the fermenter at the moment. Has been in for 11 days and I think pretty much done. (OG 1040 and took a reading 2 nights ago of 1008 - haven't taken second reading yet...)

I don't rack to secondary, but I normally leave my beers a little longer (like 3 or 4 days) to let more yeast drop out and I find I have less sediment in my bottles.

Being that this is a ginger beer is it generally more preferable to leave more yeast in the bottles so that you can get a cloudy beer by stiring it up before pouring?

thanks,
Rich

I rack my GB when ferm has finished, two identical readings over two days (usually about 1005), but only to bulk prime and bottle. This leaves some cloudiness in the bottle, which I like in a GB, but the yeastcake and most of the settlings remain behind in the fermenting carboy.

Just my preference, I like some cloudiness or yeast (pronounced "hayefa" im Deutsch) in my GB but don't like lots of sediment in the bottles.

Much like screwtop, I would treat it like normal beer. Let it fully ferment out then rack and bottle. Too many yeasties and high carbonation are not a great combo, bomb wise.

There should still be plenty of yeast in suspension. When you are ready to drink it, treat it like a lot of bartenders do Coopers and their customers - with disdain. Invert the bottle, roll it around a bit, do all the things you wouldn't do with most of your bottled homebrew that you have fought the good fight to get clear.

my 2c worth

awrabest, stu

Latest posts

Back