Ginger Beer, Strain or not

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutaneer

Reaction score
OK, I've put down a ginger beer on the weekend,
Super simple recipe that i found on here, but simplified it further.

250g fresh ginger
1 small lemon (flesh and rind)
grind it all up in the processor
add 500g sugar (sub in DME if required)
add a litre of water, bring to the boil and simmer away for 45 minutes.
Then dump the whole thing in the fermenter, top off with cold water and pitch yeast of your choice when it's cool enough.

Now, In transcribing the recipie from a 20L batch into a 5L batch, I completely forgot about straining it off.
Is that going to present any real issues?

After 3 days SG is down from 1.055 to 1.04 and it's ticking along nicely

tasted it last night and she has a nice ginger kick and starting to lose some of it's sweetness
Still has a little lemon hint in the background and no funny tastes,
I'm using my EC1118 yeast.

I'm assuming there should be no problems with the pulp remaining in the bottom,
and I'll probably rack it off for a week or so after ferment has finished before bottling.

Hey,
I;m only fairly new to this whole thing myself, but from what i have read. if you don't strain you will find the shelf life won't last as long. only recommended for 3 months i believe instead of around 6 months.
i didn't strain mine, it was great found the flavour better then when i strained the one previously. and when it taste good it won't last two months on the shelf.
Regards
Jongylary

Cool,

I'm going to rack it off once it's finished fermenting, so all the chunky bits will be left behind at that point.

Quick taste last night and it's VERY gingerey, I might even split it across two fermenters, top them up and add more sugar.
I'll leave it until it's almost finished and test again

Latest posts

Back