Ginger Beer Recipe Discussion and Thoughts?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abel

Reaction score
So i need an expert opinion on my recipe i am thinking of using. My goal is to make 23-25L of sweet ginger beer with an ABU of 5-8+%.

Recipe - all fresh will freze fruit to break down cell walls

1.5 -2 kg DLME
1kg Dextrose
S0-4 Yeast? (15-20g?)

Should i use brown sugar or maltodextrine?
(anything else or changes i should make to get 7ish% ABU?)

Maybe 500g Lactose at bottling if not sweet enough

Ginger 1.2kg
3-5 Large squeezed and zested lemons or substitute for limes
cinamon stick
3 large chilies

maybe 20ml molasses
maybe a light dry hopping after a week?

Method

Boil all fruit/chilly in muslin bags/cheesecloth in 10l of water for 60 mins
dissolve sugars in 5l water
mix all together with 9ishL water
when reaches 23-30(?) degrees celcius add how much )rehydrated dry) yeast (having trouble using Ian h's spreadsheet for this recipe, but i have mr.malty yeast calc) what might the OG be?

could dry hop after 7 days (when adding lactose?) then put in secondary fermenter after 2 weeks, after 3 weeks total bottle with carbonating drops and rack however long it takes.
should i use beer finnings? already purchased on sale

Sorry if i missed anything thanks for any help, this will be my second creation!
please add to this or change the recipe in any way if you feel required :)

Thanks!!! :)

There's a thread dedicated to giving ginger beer. Probably worth a look.

I did one was something like this.

4kg Raw Sugar
2kg Brown Sugar
1kg Honey
1.6kg Ginger, frozen then blitzed
5 Lemons, juice and rind.
2 Red Chilis, blitzed with ginger
2 Cinnamon quills
Vanilla Extract

Boiled the lot for about 30mins. Put the lot in the fermenter and pitched a healthy dose of US-05.

Came out at about 6.5% and still nice and sweet and spicy. I kegged it though. Be careful if using glass bottles.

Thanks heaps Lionman!! Sorry I tried looking for recipes but I must've failed hahaha. Your recipe sounds perfect so I'll give it a go! Thanks again.
Edit: is there any specific reason why you say careful for using glass bottles? I assume it's because of all the left over sugar will blow the bottles... what if I don't prime will they still carb?

Because it's all simple sugars, there is a risk the yeast will achieve 100% attenuation. If kegging you can slow the yeast right down. If bottling you really need stable gravity or... Kaboom!

There's a thread dedicated to giving ginger beer. Probably worth a look.

I did one was something like this.

4kg Raw Sugar
2kg Brown Sugar
1kg Honey
1.6kg Ginger, frozen then blitzed
5 Lemons, juice and rind.
2 Red Chilis, blitzed with ginger
2 Cinnamon quills
Vanilla Extract

Boiled the lot for about 30mins. Put the lot in the fermenter and pitched a healthy dose of US-05.

Came out at about 6.5% and still nice and sweet and spicy. I kegged it though. Be careful if using glass bottles.

What gravity did you keg at?

made a GB similar to that last year, the chillies will come through more than you think. i would consider paring it back a little. i used the trusty Saf-05 and it worked very well. it will be great if it makes it to summer.

So i need an expert opinion on my recipe i am thinking of using. My goal is to make 23-25L of sweet ginger beer with an ABU of 5-8+%.

Recipe - all fresh will freze fruit to break down cell walls

1.5 -2 kg DLME
1kg Dextrose
S0-4 Yeast? (15-20g?)

Should i use brown sugar or maltodextrine?
(anything else or changes i should make to get 7ish% ABU?)

Maybe 500g Lactose at bottling if not sweet enough

Ginger 1.2kg
3-5 Large squeezed and zested lemons or substitute for limes
cinamon stick
3 large chilies

maybe 20ml molasses
maybe a light dry hopping after a week?

Method

Boil all fruit/chilly in muslin bags/cheesecloth in 10l of water for 60 mins
dissolve sugars in 5l water
mix all together with 9ishL water
when reaches 23-30(?) degrees celcius add how much )rehydrated dry) yeast (having trouble using Ian h's spreadsheet for this recipe, but i have mr.malty yeast calc) what might the OG be?

could dry hop after 7 days (when adding lactose?) then put in secondary fermenter after 2 weeks, after 3 weeks total bottle with carbonating drops and rack however long it takes.
should i use beer finnings? already purchased on sale

Sorry if i missed anything thanks for any help, this will be my second creation!
please add to this or change the recipe in any way if you feel required :)

Thanks!!! :)

How did this go?

Total fermentables is 3 Kg max, according to your very abbreviated recipe above.
That will likely produce an ABV around 3.5%. Add more dextrose & maybe brown or raw sugar.
Fermentis when asked were not sure about recommending SO-4 or SO-5 & suggested champagne yeast to be safe.
I recommend keg carbonation & refrigeration so that you can back sweeten to taste & not worry about exploding bottles.

Back