Ginger Beer And Apple Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leanne Deerain

Reaction score
Does anyone out there know of any home brew kits other than the following names for Apple Cider and Ginger Beer.

Black Rock Apple Cider
Brigalow Apple Cider
Morgans Ginger Beer
Coopers Ginger Beer
Brigalow Ginger Beer
Grumpys Ginger Ale

If anyone knows any other good kits and where I can purchase them from that would be great to know.

Regards
Leanne

:D

Hey Leanne, add your location to your details so locals can give you the names of some shops.

I am currents making my way through a keg of Morgans Ginger Beer made with only 500g of honey and a packet of Ginger crystal... should have only used half :blink:

:beer:
Jye

Hi I live in Beaudesert in South East Queensland.

How do I add my details to my profile?

Regards
Leanne

Go to My Controls at the top of the page and then Edit Profile info on the left hand side.

I really like the Country Brewer ginger beer kit

It has a good ginger kick.

Tastes similar to the Bundaberg ginger beer soft drink but with alcohol in it

I add a brew booster (500g dex, 250 malt, 250 maltodex) pack to the sugar they supply with the kit and it comes out at about 5% when made to 20L

Rich

Black Rock Apple Cider = crap, don't bother with it.

Brigalow Apple Cider = Good, although a little plastic in flavour

Morgans Ginger Beer = haven't tried it

Coopers Ginger Beer = very nice, very sweet

Brigalow Ginger Beer = haven't tried it

Grumpys Ginger Ale = haven't tried it

Hi Leanne,

Does anyone out there know of any home brew kits other than the following names for Apple Cider and Ginger Beer.

Black Rock Apple Cider
Brigalow Apple Cider
Morgans Ginger Beer
Coopers Ginger Beer
Brigalow Ginger Beer
Grumpys Ginger Ale

If anyone knows any other good kits and where I can purchase them from that would be great to know.

Regards
Leanne

There exists an ESB Cider kit and a Beermakers Ginger Beer can.

I have not tasted the ESB cider but have enjoyed a number of Black Rock Ciders that have been souped up by adding a litre or two of apple juice (use ones with no added preservatives), remember that the added juice has sugar and increases your alcohol content.

My own experience is that ginger beer kits are a real personal preference thing. The price of the kit doesn't neccesarily reflect how much you will enjoy it. Try a couple of different brands and it might be worth noting that the flavour of some kits may change a bit around the three week mark.

Ohh and unlike the real beer thing ordinary household white sugar isn't as much of a no-no in ginger beers.

Good luck,

Keith

I have pretty much made one of every cider kit out there and the only one I have ever found that was worth making twice (without major adjustments) is tha Austro Vino kit. it is only available mail orer from Ibrew but it is worth the extra hassle of having to order it.

No affiliation. Just happy with the product.

Cheers
Dave

You could always try Oztops. I've made a bunch of these over summer and have been pretty happy. You get decent cider in only a few days without tying up any fermenter space and if you don't like the results it's easier to tip 2L down the drain than 23L. My favourite so far is simply an apple/pear blend (Berri I think) fermented for 3 days (plus 2 days in the fridge).

leanne i use westbrew old fashioned ginger beer with
#15 brewcraft brewbooster
1kg dextrose
3tsp grated ginger, simmer 10 min, strain into mix
fill to 18 litres

this comes out a top notch ginger beer at obout 5-5.5% also the artificial sweetener is in a seperate packet so you can use lactose if you dont like the artificial sweetener

I have been able to buy this gear from a brewcraft shop

P.s.
done a few more recipies give you the results in a couple of weeks

cheers dirk

rant on - lactose does bugger all for a brew apart from make every 2nd person get flemmy
unless you're making a flemmy milk stout, i'd leave it out of everything apart from milk and cheese (and corn chip coatings <vomit>) - rant off

if you want to make a cider, i'd suggest the first place would be apples
2nd place would be 100% apple juice.
You don't buy spam instead of steak or expect one to be like the other.

Hmmm.. appears to be two of these <_<
well at least I think so... I haven't been drinking tonight..... maybe that's the problem :p

Dear Richlum

I posted a reply to you in Report Post but I don't know whether you would get it as I don't still know a lot about this forum site and its features.

So I want to make sure you get this post of thanks and can you tell me where I can purchase a Country Ginger Beer Brew Kit please.

Regards
Leanne

Thanks Keith the Beer Guy

For you sound advice on the Cider Kit and Ginger Beer kits. Where can I purchase a ESB Cider Kit and what does it have in it?

Also thank you for your tip with the apple juice as well. Ginger Beer is and Apple Cider is and all things come down to personal taste so really when someone says this one is not good and that is good it is really a matter of taste.

Thank you again.

Regards
Leanne

Keith the Beer Guy I forgot to ask you. You said you something about white sugar for ginger beer. I have always been told brown sugar why is this the case?

Regards
Leanne

Dave (Airgead) thank you for your great tip on Apple Cider as well. Have you tried Strongbow and if so which one do you prefer? I prefer the Sweet first then the Draught and then the Dry.

I am telling you this so you can tell me what this Austro Vino Kit tastes like. Will I get close to Strongbow? How does it differ in taste to all the other ciders?

How much is it?

Thank you letting me know about this.

Regards
Leanne

Spun I have tried the Oztops and the Apple/Pear one I made came out quite good, but the Ginger Beer one did not come out so well, but am trying again.

Oztops are good, but I don't feel they have the same kick in them as the Brew Kits, but that is only my personal opinion we all have different tastes and ways of doing things, but it is a lot easier process of course.

Regards
Leanne

Dirk

Another great idea for Ginger Beer thank you also. At this point I can only say one thing A BIG THANK YOU to all of you guys on these forums both Grumpys and here you are really very helpful and I look forward Dirk to seeing how your next Ginger Beer Receipes turn out.

My only problem is this it will take me a bit of time to make all these receipes that you fellows have given me, but I will get there.

These forums are a really good idea.

Regards
Leanne

Tangent

I appreciate your thoughts on Lactose and will take that on board, like all the other advice that you guys give me. But I think it is a good thing to have different ideas because we all make things differently and our tastes vary so much and in time I will find the right taste for me and the one receipe that I like, but the next person may not think the same and that is just how it goes.

But I respect your advice and your opinon, afterall that is what a forum is for.

Regards
Leanne

Latest posts

Back