Gin

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airgead

Ohhh... I can write anything I like here
Reaction score
Ok.. So the missus has just discovered cocktails. As part of this, she has also discovered that gin (last drunk when she was 16) isn't as revolting as she remembers it to be.

We bought a little mini bar sized bottle of Gordon's to experiment with. I'm reasonably sure that Gordon's is not exactly top shelf when it comes to gin. I'm a single malt guy so know nothing at all about gin (other than it is made with juniper berries).

Any suggestions for a top flight gin? And, while we are at it, a top flight tonic?

Cheers
Dave

Bombay Sapphire ftw. And classic Schweppes tonic. Am currently enjoying an, err, autonomously sourced G, with aforementioned T, and a sizeable swizzle of Kaffir lime leaf. Delicious!

Moderation: Please ensure all gin involved in the thread was bought at the bottlo. That is all, enjoy.

Hendricks gin is great, pretty much all the gf drinks now days. Gin, tonic water and slice of cucumber apparently is the winner.

Hendricks and bombay are my two nice, easily accessible gins. Nice is all I need - if I want to spend big bucks that I don't have on spirits, I'll go for single malt whisky.
bombay, fresh lime and tonic on a hot day is superb.

Another vote for bombay sapphire
I bought a bottle of tanqueray 10 duty free on my honeymoon, that's a delicious gin!

Bombay Sapphire is my favourite G&T gin. Hendricks for martinis. When making a G&T squeeze 1/4 lime in first, get the peel all squeezed, and put the squeezed lime in the glass. Then pour the gin over the peel. The oil of the peel will get distributed throughout the drink by the alcohol. Then tonic. Check out the tonic water thread. Looks like the ultimate tonic.

Right.. so Bombay Sapphire and Hendricks on the shopping list it is then.

Thanks Folks.

I'm a big tonic fan anyway (not mixed with anything... just straight tonic). So I have some fancy syrups on order already.

I suspect G&T will be the go rather than the Martini. She is a self described lightweight and a decent sized martini puts her to sleep.

Cheers
Dave

Avoid Beefeater Gin, can't be very good ... Princess Margaret used to drink two bottles a day and only lived to be 71 but the 60 unfiltered Chesterfields per day may have contributed.

princess margaret.jpg

Personally I always preferred Dutch Jenever,

and Camels

:ph34r:

Bombay sapphire always smells of burnt tires to me. Can't stand the smell.

Bribie G said:
Avoid Beefeater Gin, can't be very good ... Princess Margaret used to drink two bottles a day and only lived to be 71 but the 60 unfiltered Chesterfields per day may have contributed.

attachicon.gif
princess margaret.jpg

Personally I always preferred Dutch Jenever,

and Camels

:ph34r:
And the question now is, do you prefer the standard Jenever, or the Oude Jenever?

Back in school days Jenever used to be the drink of choice by the majority in my year for a while. admittedly I don't remember too much of it but assume it would have been the standard one.

as for Gin, my mum always asks me to bring her a bottle of Bombay Sapphire from the duty free, that's all I know.

also, when visiting the white rabbit brewery, they had a glass of those berries they use in their white ale on display - tasted exactly like gin to me.

warra48 said:
And the question now is, do you prefer the standard Jenever, or the Oude Jenever?
The Jenever I got thrown out of a pub in Amsterdam for asking for a Jenever and tonic

:unsure:

manticle said:
Hendricks and bombay are my two nice, easily accessible gins. Nice is all I need - if I want to spend big bucks that I don't have on spirits, I'll go for single malt whisky.
bombay, fresh lime and tonic on a hot day is superb.
^ This.

Hendricks with cucumber. Bombay with lime. Single malt neat, maybe a small splash of water.
Yet to experiment with different tonics, but look forward to it.

Bribie G said:
Personally I always preferred Dutch Jenever
And then you can brew a kopstootje to go with it :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back