Getting very close to AG...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slcmorro said:
Yes, hose and reg. However, I'm going to ask a question about that now.

I'm running it for the first time now on full noise. It doesn't seem all that efficient however. The bottom of the keggle is sooting up pretty black, and the water (heating sparge water right now) is taking a loooooong time to get up to temperature. This is most likely due to a low pressure regulator, right? I'd be better off getting a high pressure reg and attaching that to the burner so it burns faster and 'cleaner', yes?
4 ring burner is adequate with the regular bbq reg but a medium pressure adjustable reg will make a big difference.

Next to the taps on the burner are what look like large washers, these can be adjusted to let oxygen in. I had the same problem as you with yellow flame and heaps of soot. I opened these up and that made a massive difference. I use a standard BBQ regulator on a 50L stockpot, heats up to strike temp in 20 or 30 mins.

Aaah, so that's what they're for. I thought they were like a blanking plate to stop the gas from getting out. I'll have a play. They're all at present, flush against the back of each inlet.

Open them up and see if that makes a difference to the flame, I suspect it will. :)

Just for those following this thread, here is the recipe and results of my first AG...

3.5kg JW Pilsner
0.85kg Vienna
0.66kg Munich (Didn't have enough Vienna, so this substitued)
20gm of 12.2% Galaxy @60
10gm Galaxy @30
10gm Galaxy @10
10gm Galaxy @0
US05 at 14C

According to BrewMate, I got 64% efficiency on this one. Turned out at 1040 OG, 1010 Est FG @ 25L.
I diluted it a bit more than intended, by screwing up either my sparge amount or estimated boil off, but hey we live and learn. Should come out at 3.9% and 42IBU, which I don't mind at all.

Nice work! Sounds like a great platform to build from. Keep it up.

Some steps I'll take next time to maybe boost my efficiency will include:

A 90min mash, instead of a 60min mash.
Ensuring I measure the right amount of sparge water.
I'll try to sparge at 80c, rather than 75c.
I'll sparge slower and more consistently. This time, it literally took me 5 minutes to sparge, which after doing some reading is waaaaaay too fast.
Look into a false bottom.
I'll do a boil off with plain water in the coming days to measure that loss.

did you end up mashing in the keggle? with or without insulaton? what was your temp drop over the hour?

No mate, Esky. Made it easier to set and forget, and also boil up sparge water. Dropped 0.4c over 60 mins.

Nice one, can probably call that a negligible temp change for practical homebrewing purposes :)

I scored a keggle and 3 ring burner for $70, so sussing out whether it will need insulation or not. Will just suck it up and see how it goes without insulation first! Maybe a couple towels over the lid

slcmorro said:
Just waiting on my 4 ring gas burner to arrive: http://www.graysonline.com/retail/sitrorb4/sporting--leisure-good/large-cast-iron-ring-burner?spr=true which cost me a grand total of $55 delivered. Should be here today or tomorrow.
+1 to drilling out the holes in the burner ever so slightly. I've done 3 AG brews with this now, and while I can keep a good rolling boil with the outermost ring only (once up to temp), I decided to drill out each burner hole individually to great effect. I was literally just cleaning out all the old casting and smoothing off (bore polishing, basically) the inside of each hole with a drill bit slightly larger than the holes. I fired the burner up afterwards, and other than a pretty sparkler show (I tipped the burner upsidedown and tapped it with a hammer a few times before this too) from the residual soot and iron particles, I got a ripping burn going with just the standard regulator supplied.

Don't worry too much about sparge speed then. Make temps accurate and appropriate, let the batch sparge sit for 5-10 mins after being well stirred, recirculate well and when you are happy with your process, look at adding in some calcium.

i dont sparge .
i tried and all i got was astrignisee now i dont bother i just let drain for about 1/2 a hr and i havent missed my numbers yet.
for most brews .

Latest posts

Back