Getting Ready To Setup Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prawned

Reaction score
Well i finally went out and got myself a keg setup :) Just got back from putting the first 2 brews on to ferment.. And its time to start getting the fridge ready for kegs, I jsut have a few questions..

Im not sure what to use to drill the hole in the front of the fridge for the tap to come out of, Is it just a really big drill bit or something else?

Can i put the gas bottle in the fridge for now? Will be easyer to drill less holes..

And i just ripped the inside of the door shelving out, do i need to put a piece of ply wood to cover where the shelves used to be? or will the insulation keep the cold in the fridge..

Also could someone put up a really basic setup of kegs? Im pretty sure i know where each line has to go etc, but just want to make sure :)

Well i finally went out and got myself a keg setup :) Just got back from putting the first 2 brews on to ferment.. And its time to start getting the fridge ready for kegs, I jsut have a few questions..
Yay another kegger!

Im not sure what to use to drill the hole in the front of the fridge for the tap to come out of, Is it just a really big drill bit or something else?
A hole saw to suite the tap. Doubt you would get a drill bit that large enough that wouldn't just rip the fridge apart.

Can i put the gas bottle in the fridge for now? Will be easyer to drill less holes..
a lot of people do this if they have room, but some then move it out after a while. It won't hurt having it in there

And i just ripped the inside of the door shelving out, do i need to put a piece of ply wood to cover where the shelves used to be? or will the insulation keep the cold in the fridge..
Best put some ply just to protect the insulation from falling apart. Also the the fridge door is thin metal and can't really support much weight, so having the ply as a backing with give support to the taps. Alot of people do that.

Yep, you need to put some backing on the door, it will improve the insulating of the fridge as well having the insulation in a sealed cavity.

I went the expensive route and used a 2mm sheet of polycarbonate(Lexan) for the door skin. It cost about $70 but it will never warp, absorb water or leech anything into the fridge like plywood 'might'. Plus its easy to clean (if it ever gets dirty :rolleyes: )

Cheers

All is good now i think, Got the seals replaced.. At the moment it seems to be keeping stuff cold / cooling down warm stuff so fingers crossed its all good :)

Just use a drill, but maybe do a smaller pilot hole first

BYB

Many older fridges will have a drip tray somewhere inside often on the back wall or down the bottom, check to see if it has a drain pipe that leads out the back of the fridge.
Sometimes if the pipe is big enough you can push your gas line through it instead of drilling a hole somewhere else..
And a metal hole saw is the easiest way to do the hole in the front but its a bit of an outlay for 1 hole.. (about $40) ask around you might be able to borrow one.

Sqyre... ;)

I used some galvinised sheet metal. Cost about $30. You can also buy a cheap hole saw set from bunnings for $10 or so.

PICT0912.jpg

Latest posts

Back