Getting Citrus In Your Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an aside - for those who doubt the existence of orange flavoured esters (obviously yeast derived) the wyeast description of tripels and the BJCP description bot speak of them. Obviously style guidelines are not the be all and end all of beermaking and i'm a long way from restricting myself due purely to said descriptions. It just makes me assume that esters CAN be produced that give a citrus or orange type flavour.

Wild yeast could give you citrus.
Many lambics are VERY grapefruit-like.

IMG_0584.jpg

They come in orange, mandarin, lime, lemon and grapefruit.

IMG_0585.jpg

3 orange, 1 grapefruit and 2 mandarin per bottle for priming. Octyl Acetate (orange flavour) still tastes the same whether it's produced in a test tube or a yeast cell...

Apart from belgian yeasts and us05, Proculture PRO- 62 CALIFORNIAN ALE YEAST has this description:
"This yeast allows the malt and hop aroma to dominate. Some citrus will result at higher temperatures, but mainly a very clean crisp flavour still results. Filtration may well be required to obtain a bright beer"

As already mentioned, citrus flavours are more commonly introduced via hop selection rather than yeast choice.

PRO- 68 CALIFORNIAN NUT ALE YEAST

Great yeast to start your liquid yeast trials. Consistent performance with many qualities people look for in brewing American ales. Slightly fruity, nutty, with soft clean slightly tart finish. Use of higher temperatures allow more fruit and hop to dominate. Colder temperatures for clean slightly citrus characters. Should not require filtration to produce a bright beer.

I like using yeasts to pull out flavours in beers as its more subtle than using hops... I've not used the above but the description has me interested.

Im keen to see what happens with the skittles!!!

had to be posted

Homer: "I'm feelin' low, Apu. You got any of that beer that has candy floating in it, you know, Skittlebrau?"

Apu: "Such a product does not exist, sir! You must have dreamed it."

Homer: "Oh. Well then just gimme a six-pack and a couple of bags of Skittles."

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the addition of coriander seed. It is well known that Hoegaarden for example uses a measure of this to impart a citrus flavour and aroma. In particular it (to my taste) is quite like orange. Contrary to popular belief, the Curacao orange peel they add actually imparts more of a "chamomile tea" flavour. Hopping rates are typically very low and for bitterness balance only. The use of raw wheat also adds a certain "tang" that adds to the impression of citrus. I have had very good results using these ingredients. A search on wit or hoegaarden clones will give you plenty of debate on amounts, time in the boil etc. I haven't noticed yeast selection affects "citrus" qualities.

Cheers - Snow.

Really old ressurection but I think Styrian Goldings give the character I was chasing to many Belgian brews (and UK brews like landlord).

Mandarin and Orange.

Still not sure about yeast driven esters despite the suggested possibility.

Manticle, did you use the Saison yeast mentioned in an earlier post? I've been reading up on the French saison wyeast giving naturally fruity esters, and you don't really need serious temp control.

I thought Styrian Goldings would've given a more earthy taste and smell.

Bowie

I've used 3711 once in a saison.

I remember enjoying the resulting beer but different to the character I described. Aiming to put down two saisons next summer - same grain bill but one with French and one with Belgian saison yeast.

Are you saying you actually get earthiness from Styrians or that you would expect it given their relationship to fuggles?

I've used both the Wyeast Saison strains a few times now and I definitely get orange esters from the French Saison. Fantastic yeast. I thought I had an infection the first time I used it.

Really old ressurection but I think Styrian Goldings give the character I was chasing to many Belgian brews (and UK brews like landlord).

Mandarin and Orange.

Still not sure about yeast driven esters despite the suggested possibility.
I get a mandarin/orange with styrians as well, not a description you often see related to it, but it's definitely there.

I seem to get oranges most from northdown hops when used as flavour, mandarin with orange in amarillo.

I had a look at the clone recipes for some of the beers that for me give port, raisin and citrus flavours that you said you were after, and a wyeast 1968 (london ESB) paired with target or challenger at 60 min, northdown feature in the recipes at 15 min, finishing with Goldings. Is a Fullers ESB for example the type of beer you are looking at?

I've used 3711 once in a saison.

I remember enjoying the resulting beer but different to the character I described. Aiming to put down two saisons next summer - same grain bill but one with French and one with Belgian saison yeast.

Are you saying you actually get earthiness from Styrians or that you would expect it given their relationship to fuggles?

Yep, planning to do something similar this summer with a couple of saisons.

I've only used Styrian Goldings and Fuggles in english ales together, so perhaps I need to try them seperately. Using them together I have achieved a grassy, piney, earthiness.

Maybe the different yeast brings out different charcteristics.

Back