Getting A Good Flo When Lautering & Sparging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pumpy said:
I like your idea , I am going to try that next in my eternal search for the holy false bottom .

Doesn't the old testament have something to say about worshipping false bottoms?

Kai said:
Doesn't the old testament have something to say about worshipping false bottoms?
[post="50003"][/post]​

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that's comedy!

Now I have this other idea about making a maifold from that PVC flexible electrical conduit it already has little slots in it and it has a range of fittings it will contour in a circular shape to fit a round tun .

Oh! never mind perhaps I should leave it there !!

Pumpy

Pumpy said:
a maifold from that PVC flexible electrical conduit it already has little slots in it
[post="50037"][/post]​

Pumpy

As long as you can find food grade electrical conduit :eek: , it should be fine

Cheers
Pedro

Mmmmm thats a good one pedro better stick to my gravel false bottom ,I really need a name for this innovation ( BB he! he!)

Gravel bottom or fish bed gee wish I could patent it

Pumpy

Ok Pummpy, here are the photos of my new PCV pipe manifold. As i said before i have done this before with copper pipe for my part mash's in a small esky but this time i thought i would use PVC pipe as it is a bit easier to work with. And the joints just push together and stay together. Nothing seals better than brass or S/S thats why i intergrated the 2 90 degree pvc bends with a brass reducing T. I had all PVC fittings at first but it just did not seal as well as the brass stuff. You must use thread tape too.
The issue with food grade is you need HIGH PRESSURE PVC pipe. This is what i have been led to beleive is FOOD GRADE. But i am sure somebody will disagree with that. Also there are about 40 slots in each side of the manifold at about 10mm spaces.
I will also add that (touch wood) i have never had a stuck sparge using either of these systems. I dont know why, it might have something to do with how i mill the grain, but even when i did a big big oatmeal stout with 500g of Quick Oats and 500g of Flaked Barley it still ran smooth. So i sparge slow even when batch sparging, that would help too.

I also included a photo of my old S/S braide manifold. I call it "ol 60%" now as that was as good eff. as i could get in a large mash tun.

DCP00884.JPG

DCP00885.JPG

DCP00886.JPG

DCP00887.JPG

SJW said:
Ok Pummpy, here are the photos of my new PCV pipe manifold. As i said before i have done this before with copper pipe for my part mash's in a small esky but this time i thought i would use PVC pipe as it is a bit easier to work with. And the joints just push together and stay together.
[post="50431"][/post]​

SJW,

Nice looking setup.

I am interested to know how standard PVC pipe handles sparge temps(does it leech plasticines or lose structural integrity at higher temps??). I was led to believe that CPVC was more suitable(or is this another myth - go to it mythbusters!!). I am not an expert in the area so interested to know other views on using PVC as opposed to CPVC.

Cheers
Roach

I'm not sure roach, I rang a couple of local suppliers of this stuff and I could not get a clear answer but was told in not uncertain terms by one bloke from local refrigeration & air cond. place that HIGH PRESSURE PVC would be safe at brewing temps. I love an arrgument as much as the next bloke but i was happy with that and the brews i have done with it taste fine and i have not grown a second head, YET. But we will see what happens.

STEPHEN

Thanks Stephen for posting the pics of the Plastic hot water pipe ,I am sure there will be no leeching of the plasticisers from thee pipe at those temperatures thats what it is made for hot water .

I am going to give that a go I think there are a couple of others that use the hot water pipe too .

The pictures save a thousand words .

I am awaiting the taste test of my "gravel buster ale" before I progress further as I am expecting there will be a certain percentage of the gravel dissolve in the water and I am unsure of the effect that will have , I will drink the first one and will decide if there are any side effects he!he!

Dont worry folks sure it wont make me any madder than I already am .

I never bother to look up the water pipes in Sydney to see what is in the pipes before it arrives at my place I think we waould all be disgusted and ours is supposed to be some of the better water .

Pumpy

Just an update on my "Gravel buster beer", I racked today into the secondary fermenter and tasted a drop , I always find it difficult to judge how the beer will finally turn out , but it tasted very nice no strange flavours got plenty of minerals in it .he!he!

Pumpy

Well Pumpy I think it's a wonderful idea , I did have a little snigger when you first posted it ( not like me I know )
Could help some people out , good to see you posting new ideas

Batz

Thanks Batz, I appreciate that .Pumpy

Torsion,

The husks dont penetrate the gravel much at all ,then I just turned the hose on it and rinsed , the husks float to the top ,I reckon after three times it was clean and can re use .( bit like cleaning the gravel in a fish tank)
I know by the email I have got on the subject th.re has been a lot of interest in it , when I return from holiday I will try to develop it more .Pumpy

Well this is just an update on my 'gravel buster Bitter' well it was just a simple recipe with Geman Hops and I must admit despite explaining to everyone it was a test with the gravel on the manifold ,I copped all the crapp under the sun about it .

The beer had been in the secondary glass carboys for about two weeks now I work it out and only in the bottle for a week and I just tried not one but two bottles and ,I can honestly say it was the best English Bitter with German hops I have ever made .

It is extremely Clear and a lovely balanced beer .I honestly believe that the gravel offered a higher quality filter than the husks alone and therefore the beer cleared quickly .

I know I had my critics but belive me it will clear your beer quicker becouse it gives you clearer wort .

If you dont believe me try it ,I am sure you will be pleasently suprised .!!

Pumpy

hey pumpy, can you post a pic of your beer to show how clear it is?

vlbaby.

I will Vlaby I just have to put one in the fridge and it is dark now so wont get the full daylight behind it.

Pumpy

Back