getting a crisp finish on my beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartf

Reaction score
Just wondering what the main factors are that affect the crispness/dryness of a beer? Done a few recipes and some are crisper than others but still not sure how to get a consistent result. Is it down to cold crashing, type if priming sugar, yeast strain? Anyone have suggestions especially for lager style beers?

All grain?

Mashing at a lower temp definitely helps.
Yeast selection will also be a factor.

Add some fermentables to dry it out, such as sucrose/dextrose, use a high attenuation lager yeast. But really for lagers, it is about the fermentables, so add more dextrose, raise temperature when you see ferment slowing down, bring it up from say 14c to 18c, then 20c right towards the end.

Ok Thanks FJ, I'll give that a go. I use dextrose for my priming but had been using dme as the fermentable in the fv. Think this could leave unfermentables behind so should use only dextrose? Haven't progressed to temp controlled fermenting yet but understand its pretty well a must for getting a proper lager.

You will need to experiment, what FG have you been getting? Extracts tend to be less fermentable so maybe reduce extract by 5-10% and replace with dextrose and see how the next ferment works out at. For a dry lager you'd be looking around 1008-1010 FG, you may then need to reduce your bittering hops a little as it may upset the balance.

Generally been getting FG around 1020-1018 (SG 1050). Maybe I'm bottling too soon? FG has been stable for a few days before bottling so didn't think so? About to start planning my next brew so may have a bit of a play around and see what comes out.
Cheers

Even with malt extract you should be getting lower than you're getting...
Just a thought, have you checked your hydrometer in water to test if it's correctly calibrated? It should read 1.000
I've had a hydrometer read 1.004 in water which means if I measured a beer at 1.016 then the actual reading should be 1.012. It's a long shot but it could be contributing to the issue.
Are you using the yeast from the can or are you using something else?

Going to check hydrometer as it occurred to me it could be misreading. Yeast depends, sometimes from the pack or if its a kit that local HBS put together then using the yeast they include.

Crisp finish on beer get your self ready first cold wet weather is not good a days concreting or lost in the deasert and any cold beer will taste good.

Latest posts

Back