Getting a bit of extra sweetness from a kit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I was wondering how I can get a bit of extra sweetness from a kit. I don't want to remove any bitterness, just kick the sweetness level.

I find kits to be a little bit bitter - I am looking for a more rounded flavour. If I have tap beer at the pub, especially boutique there might be bit more 'sweetness'. Now if you more add sugar in the brew it will make more alcohol of course. But could dextrose work? Or grain 'bomb' or maybe something else? I added a 1/4 spoon of sugar (even less) to a beer yesterday and it just gives it a 'lift'.

If I am thirsty I like a quaffer that you can chomp down, but a dark ale or a slow drinker, for example, that does not have to be sweeter.

Time to go extract or full grain :) ... Time is the issue....

Thanks

Instead of using a kilo of sugar with your kit tun, sub it out for 1.5kg of unhoped liquid malt extract or 1kg of dry malt extract.

If you want it sweeter again steep 250gm of crystal 60 overnight and tip that in as well.

The yeast you use will play a factor as well.

Throw in lactose to make it chewier/smooth mouth feel... or honey for a braggot and increase complexity.. something like a malty honey like stringy bark honey wors well.. malt extract.. or steeped specialty grains..

Trustyrusty said:
Hi Guys

I was wondering how I can get a bit of extra sweetness from a kit. I don't want to remove any bitterness, just kick the sweetness level.

Why not try adding hops? Have you drank 150 Lashes, it has a sweeter taste than most ales. I brewed a clone of that using Nelson Sauvin and Amarillo hops added to the Australian Pale Ale kit (Coopers) and 1kg of light dry malt with US-05 yeast. It's a really refreshing and sweeter taste.

Yes I would like to make 150 lashes, I like that.... have you got exact recipe you use?

>> Nelson Sauvin and Amarillo hops added to the Australian Pale Ale kit (Coopers) and 1kg of light dry malt with US-05 yeast.
Boil time for hops, dry hop etc...?

Thanks

Steeping some cracked grains like Shepherds Delight etc. will add some sweetness. Have been using Shep Del a bit of late and quite enjoy it. Tend to just steep for 30 or 40mins in hot water (65C to 75C) then strain it off and boil for 10 then add to FV, which helps dissolve the dry and liquid malts.

Cheers,

Pete

Trustyrusty said:
Yes I would like to make 150 lashes, I like that.... have you got exact recipe you use?

>> Nelson Sauvin and Amarillo hops added to the Australian Pale Ale kit (Coopers) and 1kg of light dry malt with US-05 yeast.
Boil time for hops, dry hop etc...?

Thanks

Steep 12g of Amarillo hops in 500ml of just boiled water for about 20-30 mins.
Mix up the can and the malt in fermenter and mix in the hops water.
Dry hop with 25g of Nelson Sauvin when the yeast activity has finished
and leave in about 4-5 days or until it's time to bottle.
Have fun. :chug:

I am definitely a newbie to all this and there are plenty of VERY knowledgable Brewers on here, but I just couldn't resist mentioning that I stumbled across a 'Beer & Wine sweetener' while researching for my home brew.

The brand was Copper Tun and it is apparently a type of artificial, non-ferment able sweetener (which some may or may not agree with using), but it was said to be 500 times sweeter than sugar. It mentioned to start with something like 1/2 a teaspoon in your batch and work from there.

I don't mean to disrespect the grain methods everybody has been responding with, but this struck me as an answer matching your question perfectly.

** I have not tried this product and am not recommending it from experience, just letting you know it exists**

Cheers

If you are after a kit that has sweetness try the Mangrove Jacks Helles from their craft series. One of the pouch ones.
My first go at this is ready to drink now and is exquisite. Best kit I have tried and has a definite balanced sweetness.
I too am curious as to how they get it.

Lobby Lobster said:
If you are after a kit that has sweetness try the Mangrove Jacks Helles from their craft series. One of the pouch ones.
My first go at this is ready to drink now and is exquisite. Best kit I have tried and has a definite balanced sweetness.
I too am curious as to how they get it.
Thanks - did you just use kit plus liquid malt? Kit yeast etc??

Interesting .... I found this recipe for 150 lashes

· Pale Ale/Draught can for the base,

· Wheat malt (1.5kg liquid) or #18 wheat blend

· Amarillo & Willamette for hops

VS

Steep 12g of Amarillo hops in 500ml of just boiled water for about 20-30 mins.
Mix up the can and the malt in fermenter and mix in the hops water.
Dry hop with 25g of Nelson Sauvin when the yeast activity has finished
and leave in about 4-5 days or until it's time to bottle.

I suppose is a subjective thing..

I am new to hopping so I am giving this a go..

Coopers Pale Ale + 1kg BE2 + 100 dex. (I used the 100 gr be2 to cultivate yeast, so I thought I would make up the diff)
+12 g Amarillo steep for 20 min. ( I am still learning what a difference it would make if I boiled for 10min etc etc)
US 05 Yeast.

I did not have Nelson Sauvin - But have galaxy and cascade, I am thinking that I might chuck in 12 g of cascade to dry hop after 4 days, but to me there seems to be enough hops (aroma wise anyway), I am trying to learning about hopping so thought single hop might be a good start.

The smell from the fermentor airlock is great... I think this is going to be ok if all goes to plan.. and temp around 18 deg.

Thanks

Coopers Pale Ale + 1kg BE2 + 100 dex.
+12 g Amarillo steep for 20 min.
US 05 Yeast.

BTW I made a teabag of the left over hops and left in fermenter...

This is cold crashing in fridge... and un-carbed cool beer tastes pretty close to 150 lashes.... maybe needs a touch more sweetness, but maybe taste better carbed..

cheers

Latest posts

Back