German Ale/koelsch Yeast In A Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE DRUNK ARAB

Zen Arcade
Reaction score
I have some WL 029 yeast and have brewed a couple of Koelsch's with it, a damn good yeast BTW.
Whitelabs recommend it for use in a Pale Ale and I was wondering if anyone has tried it? Weighing up between an APA or my first Alt for this year :eek:
Any opinions?

C&B
TDA

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
I have some WL 029 yeast and have brewed a couple of Koelsch's with it, a damn good yeast BTW.
Whitelabs recommend it for use in a Pale Ale and I was wondering if anyone has tried it? Weighing up between an APA or my first Alt for this year :eek:
Any opinions?

C&B
TDA
[post="96299"][/post]​

G'day TDA,

I made a receipe known as the Firkin Bolter with the 029 recently. The recipe was:

5kg JW Ale Malt
300gm TF Crystal
140gm Torrifed Wheat
100gm Roasted Wheat
Fuggle to bitter, but I can't remember how much as the details are at home.

Anyway, it was awesome. I certainly find it a very clean and versatile style of yeast, like 001, and think it would be great in an APA. One of my favorites.

Cheers.

-----

BTW, I made your Oktoberfest a couple of weeks ago, went with 30% Pils, 30% Vienna, 30% Light Munich, 5% Carapils, 5% Melanoidin, Hallertau at 60 and 15. It has been fermenting VERY slowly at 10C for the past 2 and a half weeks. Was first generation WLP820 which I give a swirl every day or two, but the taste so far is fantastic. Will dump a second on the cake when this one finally decides to finish.

Latest posts

Back