G'day From Sydney!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxwolfie

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm glad I stumbled (literally, I'm drinking my first batch!) across this rather nifty looking place. My girlfriend recently bought me a Brigalow Home Brew kit, and I thoroughly enjoyed making my first brew.

I'm finding it difficult to resist waiting for the beer to carbonate for more than a week though! I think I've gone through a couple of litres already semi-carbonated :p

Anyways, for my next brew -

1. I've read that I should throw away the instructions, so I might hide them away for a while and take on board some advice here
2. Less white sugar more... ? I was contemplating some honey for my next batch! I have a Coopers goo pack ready to use, so I will be using that

Anyways, I will continue reading for now :) Any input for my first Coopers brew would be appreciated :)

Congrats on your first brew.

My advice would be to stay away from the honey. Try using some dry malt

Plenty of recipes in the forum

Kabooby :)

Sanitation, use better yeast and keep it below 22'C, dont use white sugar, instead use all dried malt or a mix of malt/maltodextrin/dextrose (can easily get from your local homebrew shop) as it improves the body and flavour of the your beer. Theyre always a good starting point... Compare a beer like that, to a beer made with all white sugar and the kit yeast fermented at around 25'C.... you will be quite amazed!

Hope this helps a little, Sponge

go hard dude....brew, taste, learn what you did wrong, then brew again

the best bit is the tasting....and i have the gut to prove it!

welcome aboard

Hey all,

I'm glad I stumbled (literally, I'm drinking my first batch!) across this rather nifty looking place. My girlfriend recently bought me a Brigalow Home Brew kit, and I thoroughly enjoyed making my first brew.

I'm finding it difficult to resist waiting for the beer to carbonate for more than a week though! I think I've gone through a couple of litres already semi-carbonated :p

Anyways, for my next brew -

1. I've read that I should throw away the instructions, so I might hide them away for a while and take on board some advice here
2. Less white sugar more... ? I was contemplating some honey for my next batch! I have a Coopers goo pack ready to use, so I will be using that

Anyways, I will continue reading for now :) Any input for my first Coopers brew would be appreciated :)

for your first few brews KISS (keep it simple stupid) method should be used. Don't use white sugar for primary fermentation, secondary it is fine(priming bottles) , use dextrose or brew enhancer #1 or #2 for primary in the fermentor (available from most supermarkets, kmarts, bigw ect). I would be surprised if you keep brewing after using a brigalow can 1st up (yuck).

what coopers can did you get for your next brew?
save the honey for your toast until you get a few brews under your belt.
keep reading stuff on this site.

Mate never ever use white sugar. just buy a box of Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 and use that instead.

This is my favorite good slack arse beer Buy a Coopers Australian Pale Ale kit and add a box of Brew Enhancer 2. If you are feeling motivated go to a home brew shop and get some cascade hops. add about 20 grams to about a litre of water and boil them for 15 mins, Pour them into your fermenter with your beer can. Its easy its cheap and its tasty.

Mate never ever use white sugar. just buy a box of Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 and use that instead.

This is my favorite good slack arse beer Buy a Coopers Australian Pale Ale kit and add a box of Brew Enhancer 2. If you are feeling motivated go to a home brew shop and get some cascade hops. add about 20 grams to about a litre of water and boil them for 15 mins, Pour them into your fermenter with your beer can. Its easy its cheap and its tasty.

if you want to try something with honey....do the same thing as this BUT..
1 change the cascade hops for saaz
2 add 500g of yellowbox honey when you are boiling in the hops
3 change coopers pale ale to coopers heritage wheat, avaliable at your homebrew store B) :D

for your first few brews KISS (keep it simple stupid) method should be used. Don't use white sugar for primary fermentation, secondary it is fine(priming bottles) , use dextrose or brew enhancer #1 or #2 for primary in the fermentor (available from most supermarkets, kmarts, bigw ect). I would be surprised if you keep brewing after using a brigalow can 1st up (yuck).

what coopers can did you get for your next brew?
save the honey for your toast until you get a few brews under your belt.
keep reading stuff on this site.

Cheers for the comments all

I just got a standard coopers pale can

what style is it?

presuming your standard coopers can is the white with certain colour banner contain that style it is (pale ale, draught, real ale ect)

depending on the style as to what hops or extra malts you can add to help making it better

Cheers for the comments all

I just got a standard coopers pale can

Tell me how you go mate, I'd be interested to see how it turns out!

I'm about to get back into brewing (Uni work is killing me at the moment)...need to do a bit of kit cleaning and will be off to BigW to grab one of coopers cans soon too B)

Get yourself to a good homebrew shop ASAP.
St.Marys
Kirrawee
Peakhurst
Nth Sydney
Blue Mountains
Asquith
You will be surprised at how much fun you are going to have
Enjoy
James

what style is it?

presuming your standard coopers can is the white with certain colour banner contain that style it is (pale ale, draught, real ale ect)

depending on the style as to what hops or extra malts you can add to help making it better

It's a green can that just says "Australian Pale Ale" and also "International Series" is written across the top

It's a green can that just says "Australian Pale Ale" and also "International Series" is written across the top

Coopers site recomends 1kg of Brew enhancer2 or 500gm of Light dry malt and 250 gm of dextrose.
The other guys here will have more ideas

Throw away the yeast that comes under the lid with those instructions you're gonna chuck. As others have said, get yourself down to the LHBS - and buy a dried Fermentis yeast. US-05 or similar. No extra fuss than using the kit supplied stuff - but oh so much better. Its about $3-$4. Its the first step to making good beer ;)

Latest posts

Back